Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
soulartist
Enthusiast
soulartist began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paragraph Style Not Exporting / ePub

I thought I had this handled yesterday, but today I can't get this text to indent upon export to ePub—viewing in ADE.

I've applied a paragraph style for the indent and space after to the text (which is in it's own frame): disengaging from mind control.

Upon export to ePub from InDesign CS5, the text remains flush left.

I realize this could be tweaked via css, but shouldn't this paragraph style work upon export, too?

Eden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indent_issue.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	62570  

Last edited by soulartist; 12-09-2010 at 07:29 PM.
soulartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
It looks like your text in the box is flush left already so it would export flush left. Have you set the indent in the indent and spaces area of the paragraph styles? Also those two text boxes will flow as separate paragraphs in the ePub. I can't think of a way to have a paragraph hang out there on it's own like your sample in ePub.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
soulartist
Enthusiast

Quirky, It Seems

I did set the indent with the paragraph style.

Today, I tried changing the space after and the indent did work upon export to ePub—for whatever reason.

The subhead in the attachment is a bit misleading. It is set to .25 inch indent, which aligns it (although not precisely) underneath the chapter heading when exported. It looks okay in ADE, but off (not aligned under the heading—too far to the left) in Sigil or the Kindle previewer.

Also, as you suggest, I placed the header text within the main text frame. Apparently, there is no need to have the header text in its own frame. It's hard to get out the print mindset.

Thanks,

Eden
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just typeset a book for print knowing it will be an ebook in the future and anchored every graphic within the text. When the spelling is changed for the US market it will be just a click to the ePub. (I hope) a tip. Less is more with ePub.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
soulartist
Enthusiast

Thanks for that tip, too!
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

Go to bed. It's got to be real early yesterday there