Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Next you will tell me that the mice are actually doing experiments on us by letting us experiment on them.

BOb
Well, it's true, the mice are really in control. 42.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #47
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Both terms were obviously the products of the Marketing departments at B&N and Amazon. Ridiculous.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #48
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
btw, one quick question -- is the proper grammatical spelling of NOOK actually lowercase n at the beginning as here: "nook".....? I have seen ads by barnes and noble that show it that way -- nook. not Nook. Which one is it?

Lowercase or Capped? And how will most newspapers print the word? Following BN logo style or their own copy desk style?

is it Yahoo or Yahoo! for example, for the name of the company
Yahoo! is definitely the correct of the two there.

As for nook, it's lower case n and I base that on their marketing imagery which uses a curve-topped 'n' somewhat promoting the lower-case nature of the name. It's common to lower-case a proper name when you want to push the idea of it being a common component of a lifestyle as opposed to an identifiable entity. BN wants you to feel like having a nook is just par for the course and not having one is as strange as not having a couch or a table.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #49
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Both terms were obviously the products of the Marketing departments at B&N and Amazon. Ridiculous.
wrong. apparently, both terms eruped, if that is the right word, from users themselves. of course, the marketing depts are more than happy, but both terms came out of users' mouths, er, blogs, first. google around and see. this was not a marketing move.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #50
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Anything? You try submitting and see if it gets through. Most don't make it through the vetting process. Go head, try one and report back here.
Quote:
They do! The vetting process is by some kind of mysterious popular vote. Try submitting something and you will see how the process works.
You've obviously tried
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #51
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
wrong. apparently, both terms eruped, if that is the right word, from users themselves. of course, the marketing depts are more than happy, but both terms came out of users' mouths, er, blogs, first. google around and see. this was not a marketing move.
When doing brand naming and creative copy, some of the strategists try to take the possibility of forming a verb out of the brand name into account. It isn't done to the exclusion of other factors, but when the morphology lends itself to that kind of manipulation, any marketing group would see the opportunity, and would likely expect it to happen "in the wild" without direct company promotion.

Emerging popular tech markets are full of insecure people, and insecure early bandwagoners are some of the best allies a marketer can hope for.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #52
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
You've obviously tried
25 times! Here's a big press release on one of the terms being accepted:

http://www.36pr.com/2009/02/27/6-on-...-on-screening/

It reminds me of, when I was in college, a friend of mine who was from Uzbekistan took his letter from Ed McMahon saying that he may already have won $10 million dollars and hung it on the wall of his room.

Last edited by ardeegee; 11-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #53
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
25 times! Here's a big press release on one of the terms being accepted:

http://www.36pr.com/2009/02/27/6-on-...-on-screening/

It reminds me of, when I was in college, a friend of mine who was from Uzbekistan took his letter from Ed McMahon saying that he may already have won $10 million dollars and hung it on the wall of his room.
3 accepted terms from 25 submitted by the same person is absolutely proof positive that Urban Dictionary is an epic waste of internet space and has entirely lost its purpose. The fact that "screening," a term entirely made up by that bloom guy was accepted is more than sufficient evidence of the claim that UD will accept anything.

To me the name "Urban Dictionary" implies someone actually uses the terms in it. Nobody says "screening" and means reading on a screen. Maybe six or seven people here with way too much time on their hands, but that's about 1/1000th-a-nobody in the scheme of things.

Of course, I've known UD was garbage for years but hey... why not join the flamefest?
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #54
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
AAACCCCKKKKKKKKKK........DAN!!! I do not "SCREEN", nor does anyone I know.

I freakin' 'READ'!

I also don't "diss" people. Nor do I "disrespect" them. I may show them disrespect, or act in a disrespectful manner.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #55
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
AAACCCCKKKKKKKKKK........DAN!!! I do not "SCREEN", nor does anyone I know.

I freakin' 'READ'!

I also don't "diss" people. Nor do I "disrespect" them. I may show them disrespect, or act in a disrespectful manner.
Well, as I have a Sony e-reader, I don't 'screen' anyway according to this fool's definition. 'Screening' only applies to the Kindle apparently. I could be kind and put this down to a subtle distinction he's made between the Kindle and the many other available e-readers, however, I think that in reality, the Kindle is the only e-reader he's ever heard of and research would have been far too onerous.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake controversy, silly