Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
kind
kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizda View Post
  1. I do not like reading on LCD that is why I bought eink - kindle
  2. Kindle does not have easy manipulators such as a mouse or trackball to move aoround zoomed pdf - only click, click, click and move very akwardly

I want to have the same ease of read, surf web, etc on my knidle as I have on netbook.

I could sell my kindle and buy pixelQi display replacement for my netbook, but actually I like reading novels on kindle too and I am very happy with the portability and battery life.

I need just the screen streaming from netbook to kindle functionality to be happy
Hello,

Any actual solution how to use kindle as pc monitor ?
I would like to use my Kindle 3 as normal screen for computer with Win7.
Because Lcd strain my eyes and causes headache. I tried to use PixelQi screen and mounted it into my netbook but is too sharp and also not easy for my eyes.
I can work only with eink without pain.

I know that it is impossible to use Remote Desktop from Win xp for that purpose. Any other ideas ?

I regret that I can not buy eink monitor basiclly with vga port.

I can not programming and do not know Linux very good.
So, could you please give me prepared solution step by step how to use Kindle 3 as Pc monitor with Windows ?

Thank you guys for helping.

Greetings from Poland.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

It's not quite what you're after, but it's worth mentioning that the fullscreen native terminal, coupled to the ssh client installed with the usb networking hack, makes for a perfectly servicable wireless terminal. No graphics, I don't believe X forwarding would work as I don't think the Kindle has X running.

I've been controlling an otherwise headless server this way for a week or so, no problems with the refresh rate. I just wish it had a complete keyboard.
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
l..k
Enthusiast
l..k began at the beginning.

Device: k3
I am glad to hear there are others wishing e-ink monitor. I have coding skills, proffesionally, but just have little time ... I just went on vacation, this is why I have lots of time to search through my favourite topic on the web.
Yeah, I regret there is no biggers size e-ink on the market, preferably as an e-ink pc-display. I have only k3 but just thinking of developing that king of app to use it as a wifi display However it is bad that the bigger kindle does not have wifi, I mean, even if I write that app it will have to be upgraded to DX ready communication to be really usefull....
I really regret there is no bigger e-ink displays on the market, but stay tuned in the next two weeks of my holidays what the evenings could bring to the future of a manking
l..k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by l..k View Post
I am glad to hear there are others wishing e-ink monitor. I have coding skills, proffesionally, but just have little time ... I just went on vacation, this is why I have lots of time to search through my favourite topic on the web.
Yeah, I regret there is no biggers size e-ink on the market, preferably as an e-ink pc-display. I have only k3 but just thinking of developing that king of app to use it as a wifi display However it is bad that the bigger kindle does not have wifi, I mean, even if I write that app it will have to be upgraded to DX ready communication to be really usefull....
I really regret there is no bigger e-ink displays on the market, but stay tuned in the next two weeks of my holidays what the evenings could bring to the future of a manking
You could plug the Kindle DX into the computer via USB plug, and be able to operate it from that via USBNetwork.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #20
kind
kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l..k View Post
If you develop such app please post it here. I will be very grateful to you.
I need to use Kindle as PC display to avoid eyes strain and headache.
Thank you.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
tsinghoo
tsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it is

Two solutions:

1. cross-compile a newer version webkit browser which can support HTML5 VNC client

2. develop a vnc client for kindle.

I tried solution 1 but failed. Now I am trying solution 2.

Quote:
Anyone thought of that or have geeky skills and time to investigate?

I wanted to write simple socket client/server protocol to use my kindle for reading. The amazon framework is very disappointing but if I could plug my kindle as a monitor to my netbook that would become perfect reading experience.

The idea of the software is very simple: skeleton windows display driver which captures updates of screen as bitmaps and sends over network-socket connection to the kindle. Kindle listens and captured images write to framebuffer. That's all

So far I have installed usbNetwork hack and scratchbox developement on linux. Wrote simple client server part, compilet in scratchbox the server part for arm6 little endian and it works However I have troubles with writing to the /dev/fb0. None of standard framebuffers tutorials works on kindle

I have downoladed kindle kernel source from amazon. Hopefully there is source code for eink driver. However the source seems very incomplete - there are special IOCTL's in this framebuffer implementaion which handle eink update however they are nowhere defined. I am not able to guess them (or at least I am not so patient)

Amazon sucks very much ...
tsinghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
l..k
Enthusiast
l..k began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Well, I see this topic is alive, that's cherish I mean, it's as usually, I did some hacking/coding but after a while something other attracted my attention...

This project is fun indeed. To make it usefull I think it should work through WiFi or bluetooth. The latter because of the SideShow API SDK mobile component this way lots of applications utilizing the gadget display could work right away
l..k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #23
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3wifi
I wrote a sortof program that makes kindle as a second PC screen. The way it works is that it captures the screen on my computer, and then sends to kindle, and kindle then shows the image. It's like a media streaming system. The response time is terrible right now, it has a delay of about 0.5~1 second. I still don't know where the bottleneck is. The image I send over is zipped, the size for the full 800*600 screen is about 20~40k, and I only send over the difference between two consecutive screen shotshots, which is much smaller. Maybe the big issue here is finding out the updating area. Currently I don't have a good algorithm to get that out, so most of time, I guess, it's updating the whole screen.
kindle3zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle3zeng View Post
I wrote a sortof program that makes kindle as a second PC screen. The way it works is that it captures the screen on my computer, and then sends to kindle, and kindle then shows the image. It's like a media streaming system. The response time is terrible right now, it has a delay of about 0.5~1 second. I still don't know where the bottleneck is. The image I send over is zipped, the size for the full 800*600 screen is about 20~40k, and I only send over the difference between two consecutive screen shotshots, which is much smaller. Maybe the big issue here is finding out the updating area. Currently I don't have a good algorithm to get that out, so most of time, I guess, it's updating the whole screen.
A 0.5 second delay is pretty good. That's about how quickly you can turn through pages on the Kindle itself. Have you released the program yet?

I've experimented with screenshots myself, but the delay is about 6 seconds, even when connected over USB. I'm very interested in how your difference algorithm is implemented.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
kranu, Substract each pixel from current screenshoot and previous (better from keyframe), then use RLE encoding. If most of screen not changed than resulting image will consist 0,0,0,0,....etc
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
  1. I do not like reading on LCD that is why I bought eink - kindle
  2. Kindle does not have easy manipulators such as a mouse or trackball to move aoround zoomed pdf - only click, click, click and move very akwardly

I want to have the same ease of read, surf web, etc on my knidle as I have on netbook.

I could sell my kindle and buy pixelQi display replacement for my netbook, but actually I like reading novels on kindle too and I am very happy with the portability and battery life.

I need just the screen streaming from netbook to kindle functionality to be happy
Sounds like you need a Entourage Edge. Someone on the forum figured out how to show the tablet (LCD side) on the eink display.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
kranu, Substract each pixel from current screenshoot and previous (better from keyframe), then use RLE encoding. If most of screen not changed than resulting image will consist 0,0,0,0,....etc
well, xor would be a better option than subtraction.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
A 0.5 second delay is pretty good. That's about how quickly you can turn through pages on the Kindle itself. Have you released the program yet?

I've experimented with screenshots myself, but the delay is about 6 seconds, even when connected over USB. I'm very interested in how your difference algorithm is implemented.
The program is pretty rough right now. I might publish it when it's got polished. The key algorithm I used is:
on host,
1) convert pages to kindle framebuffer format, which would be 800*600/2 bytes long,
2) xor two consecutive pages as diff,
3) zip the diff, send over wifi.

On kindle side
1) unzip diff
2) xor the current framebuffer with the diff
3) find out the dirty area, this is where I don't have good algorithm
4) update the screen (only the dirty areas or the whole screen)

Last edited by kindle3zeng; 08-22-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #29
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Wow that's a lot simpler than what I expected :P
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #30
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

EDIT: I made a thread for this. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post1726641
Attached Files
File Type: zip webserver_v1.zip (1.9 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by kranu; 09-01-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: new thread