Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Negative publicity

My science fiction novel Exiles, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UYUWE2 had been selling steadily from Amazon.com and has generally been quite well received. However, last week a recieved a one star, one line review that was incredibly harsh and dismissive and has pretty much killed my sales. I'm a big boy and I'm aware that whatever I write and however good it may be, someone will hate it, but I was wondering what everyone else has done in this situation.

Thanks in advance

Dan
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
"Poorly written. Good story. Needs editor. Rambles. I would avoid the work--but give the author another chance should he try again.

Doesn't seem to approach the level of "incredibly harsh" to me. ("Good story", "give the author another chance".)

I think that your problem is more people read the succinct 1-star review and skipped over a possibly even more brutally honest 4 star one:

This is a decent enough effort... Not great literature... My main beef is with editing. Even a quick pass by a competent professional editor would clean up a mildly depressing tendency toward structural wordiness... and inconsistent grammar... unpolished and not particularly writerly. It annoys me enough to detract from the flow of the narrative, but it isn't bad enough to make me scream.... I want to encourage the author to go the extra step for your readers and put a good copyeditor to work before you bring out the rest of the series....
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
It's one person's opinion, and it's not obviously inflammatory. Chin up and press on.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it was the one star, the 'poorly written' and the 'I would avoid' that stung and is possibly hurting my sales. To me 'poorly written' says 'can barely string a sentence together,' which I refute. I do accept that I am a little long winded though.

That other one is at least constructive and I did take it on board. Unfortunately it refers to an earlier version of the text which has since been re-edited by a third party. Yes, I should have done this beforehand, I know. I edited the thing myself several times and it doesn't work!

On the other hand, one guy genuinely loved it, which was nice.

I had a quick look around at the titles that people had bought as well as mine and they were getting ripped to shreds by some of their reviews, but were still selling bucketloads.

I was just wondering what other people had done in this situation and whether things tend to even out once you've got plenty of reviews with a spread of opinion.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has your book been professionally edited? If not, the "needs editor" comment is probably justified; it's a rare author indeed whose book cannot be improved by an editor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ditto, Harry. Meanwhile, grin and bear it, Dan. But no review is negative if the author learns from it. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Stephen King's new book "Under The Dome" got 120 x 1 star reviews. It happens to everyone. You just have to put it behind you and concentrate on your next masterpiece.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has your book been professionally edited? If not, the "needs editor" comment is probably justified; it's a rare author indeed whose book cannot be improved by an editor.
Agreed.

Fanfic authors sometimes seek beta readers for 100-word drabbles. *Any* literary work can benefit from a critical view before it's sent to the public.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I've found the reviews incredibly harsh on iBooks. I'm pretty thick-skinned, but some of them are just mean. "The previous five star review could only have been written by the author or his mother." Never mind there are scores of 5 star reviews. I know not everyone is going to like my work and I can respect a 1 star review if it is constructive. I'm also pretty happy with the knowledge that there are more 5 and 4 star reviews than 3 and 2 stars, and there are more 3 and 2 star reviews, than 1 star reviews. I have to admit though that I've just gotten to where I don't read the 1 stars anymore.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
I'm just gonna throw this out there--are you sure the sales change is because of the bad review? It could just be a coincidence (as a statistician, I can tell you that you don't have enough data ). The better reviews outweigh the poor one; most people ignore a single bad review; and a positive review is the first one they see.

Did you do anything else that could affect your marketing at the same time? Were you previously active on a forum and have been less so lately? Were you getting book blogger attention, and now it's died down? Has a competing book gotten a lot of press lately? Think through all the things that might affect your sales, and consider that that one review might not be at fault.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I've found the reviews incredibly harsh on iBooks. I'm pretty thick-skinned, but some of them are just mean. "The previous five star review could only have been written by the author or his mother." Never mind there are scores of 5 star reviews. I know not everyone is going to like my work and I can respect a 1 star review if it is constructive. I'm also pretty happy with the knowledge that there are more 5 and 4 star reviews than 3 and 2 stars, and there are more 3 and 2 star reviews, than 1 star reviews. I have to admit though that I've just gotten to where I don't read the 1 stars anymore.
Speaking of which - I just gave your novel "Princess of Amathar" 3 1/2 stars out of 4 stars in my Digital Spotlight Fiction Review blog.
http://digitalspotlightfictionreview...y-allison.html
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I think that your problem is more people read the succinct 1-star review and skipped over a possibly even more brutally honest 4 star one:

This is a decent enough effort... Not great literature... My main beef is with editing. Even a quick pass by a competent professional editor would clean up a mildly depressing tendency toward structural wordiness... and inconsistent grammar... unpolished and not particularly writerly. It annoys me enough to detract from the flow of the narrative, but it isn't bad enough to make me scream.... I want to encourage the author to go the extra step for your readers and put a good copyeditor to work before you bring out the rest of the series....
Yeah... if both the 4-star review and the 1-star review are harping on grammar and the need for an editor, I'm going to avoid that book like the plague.

You should have it professionally edited and release a new version. Perhaps after it's released, respond to the reviews out there now and say "I've released a newly edited version of this book" or some such. Amazon notifies purchasers when the book has been updated, but you'll want everyone who reads the reviews to know you've made an effort to clean it up.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
dworth
Zealot

"Yeah... if both the 4-star review and the 1-star review are harping on grammar and the need for an editor, I'm going to avoid that book like the plague. "

My thoughts exactly It's a shame that the reviews in Amazon don't have a 'this review refers to an earlier version' tag on them or something.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm off on my hols for the next few weeks so I might not be able to respond after today.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
There are some people though that would be on the opposite end of the coin. Several one star reviews, somebody could think "Is this really THAT bad? I have to look."

It's like the people that stop and stare at nasty car wrecks. Reviews are reviews and just as subjective as the author and the writer. What's dreck to one person could be a pearl to another.

I don't think a single one star review could kill your sales completely. But, in the self pub world where 50 copies is a gold record, it very well could... I'm still of the opinion that NOTHING should be sold before it's been seen by other's eyes.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Amazon notifies purchasers when the book has been updated, but you'll want everyone who reads the reviews to know you've made an effort to clean it up.
Is that true? I've not been notified of any re-releases of books I've bought for Kindle, and I know some of them have been updated since I bought. I had to contact Amazon to request the updates be sent to my Kindle account. Is there some opt-in list I need to get on for these kinds of notifications?

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote