Device: nook
HANDS ON with nook!.....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/04/b...arly-hands-on/

enjoy peeps, can't wait for the reviews to come out,
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
"The thing lags so much between the e-ink display and the Android touchscreen. All I want to do is use the e-ink display as touchscreen. It's nice to see the real book art, but its so tiny and laggy that I simply want to leave that screen as soon as I can."

I hope it was a prototype, cause it don't look good so far.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i doubt this was a prototype.

But that doesn't mean it can't be adjusted with firmware as it certainly sounds like it could be (some sort of sync perhaps)

But i agree, with the dearth of any reviews, and then this sort of thing, it doesn't bode well i'm afraid.

We shall see.

If this thing is a dog B&N reputation will suffer.

But even if it is buggy, most people will love it because they spent money on it.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
If the Nook turns out to be a plastic cow patty, Amazon will absolutely clean up with even MORE Kindle sales from put off B&N customers.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
"The thing lags so much between the e-ink display and the Android touchscreen. All I want to do is use the e-ink display as touchscreen. It's nice to see the real book art, but its so tiny and laggy that I simply want to leave that screen as soon as I can."

I hope it was a prototype, cause it don't look good so far.
I have no idea what "lag" means to the unnamed tipster, though. If the person was only used to non-e-ink devices, it could just be a reaction to the page refresh. Does a page turn lag compared to a Sony or a Kindle? Is it the disparity in refresh rates between the LCD and the e-ink panel? As it reads, this is just "Somebody e-mailed me and said...." Video would have been much more helpful.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I have no idea what "lag" means to the unnamed tipster, though. If the person was only used to non-e-ink devices, it could just be a reaction to the page refresh. Does a page turn lag compared to a Sony or a Kindle? Is it the disparity in refresh rates between the LCD and the e-ink panel? As it reads, this is just "Somebody e-mailed me and said...." Video would have been much more helpful.
Here is an early video posted (and referred to in the article
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Software updates will fix any lag. Count on it.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
There does seem to be a bit of lag in that video from touching the lcd to the opening of the book on the eInk display. But it only seems a tad longer than a page turn and, like everyone else said, if it can be fixed in a firmware update it probably will be.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
...and BN made engadget take down their blogpost.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Duplicate thread.. not sure which one duped which. But the blog post is gone.

Nothing more to see here. Move along.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
i wonder what bn is hiding
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Breaking News! E-Ink is slow!

In other news, scientists discover that the sky is blue and the Earth is round.

*out-tro music plays*
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
It appears as if the nook is pretty small, I was expecting it to be as tall as my 1 liter of water below me... Exceptionally impressive.

Looks very ergonomic as well.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
THe mysterious disappearance of the Nook review from Engadget is amusing. It seems as though if they'd been had, they could simply acknowledge that while leaving the post up.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
djorourke
djorourke began at the beginning.

Device: nook
hands-on available in google cache

For those who missed the post before endgadget took it down, Google cache grabbed it.

http://google.com/search?q=cache:htt...arly-hands-on/
djorourke is offline   Reply With Quote