Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #931
davidm_uk
davidm_uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
With Cool Reader GL is it possible to mark a book as read, if so how? I've got a few dozen books on the tablet (Android 5.1) and lose track of which I've read.
davidm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #932
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_uk View Post
With Cool Reader GL is it possible to mark a book as read, if so how? I've got a few dozen books on the tablet (Android 5.1) and lose track of which I've read.
In the Home menu, if you touch the book cover and hold, you can select several options, such as "To Read", "Reading" and "Finished", as well as a star rating.

I just marked a book as finished, and it shows [Finished] in the books details area.

YMMV, depending on your device, screen size &etc I'm sure.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #933
davidm_uk
davidm_uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes that worked with Cool Reader, but I've recently "upgraded" to Cool Reader GL which has some additional functions I wanted, but that doesn't work in the GL version, and I can't find anything in the menus to mark the current book as read.
davidm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #934
leonicholson
leonicholson began at the beginning.

Device: Lumina 640 Smartphone
Cool Reader Epub Spacing

Running Cool Reader on ZTE Warp Sync with epub book formatted from PDF with Calibre.

I tested with Aldiko and it formats correctly. On Cool Reader, some lines are broken and have several space lines before continuing the sentence on another line.

Should I use different Calibre or Cool Reader setting?
leonicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #935
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
CoolReader is a seriously broken ePub reader and displays innumerable books either wrongly or not at all that are absolutely fine in other ePub apps. I'd suggest using a different reading app.

Having said that, however, PDF is of course the worst possible format to convert from, and PDF conversions will generally be riddled with errors, so in this specific case it's entirely possible that the problem lies with the book. I'd suggest looking at the book in Calibre's editor and seeing if it really does have line breaks where the app is showing them.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #936
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Cool Reader because I like the paper background and the easy to use brightness scalar.

Also, the night mode, where I can adjust the colors of both text and background.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #937
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This sounds good i think ill use this kind of reader for my android...
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #938
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
CoolReader is a seriously broken ePub reader and displays innumerable books either wrongly or not at all that are absolutely fine in other ePub apps. I'd suggest using a different reading app.

Having said that, however, PDF is of course the worst possible format to convert from, and PDF conversions will generally be riddled with errors, so in this specific case it's entirely possible that the problem lies with the book. I'd suggest looking at the book in Calibre's editor and seeing if it really does have line breaks where the app is showing them.
I think most of the popular epub readers on android are broken when it comes to rendering epub correctly. Try, for example, Three Men on a Boat found here on MR. Moon, fbreader and other readers based on it, cool reader, ub, alreader, aldiko all fail to various extent. The only ones I've seen that do it close to correctly are mantano and other Adobe based readers.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #939
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretSingleton View Post
This sounds good i think ill use this kind of reader for my android...
Harry is right in that CoolReader does not always display certain formats well. It doesn't handle pictures and diagrams very well at all, and night mode won't work on a book if the formatting specifies the text color.

If there is a better reader that does what CR does well, then I would definitely try it out. The last update for this app was two years ago.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #940
leonicholson

Page turning with volume keys only.

Is there any way to navigate only with the volume keys and disable the screen navigation?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #941
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Harry is right in that CoolReader does not always display certain formats well. It doesn't handle pictures and diagrams very well at all, and night mode won't work on a book if the formatting specifies the text color.

If there is a better reader that does what CR does well, then I would definitely try it out. The last update for this app was two years ago.
Try PocketBook Reader You'll be able to read epubs flawlessly and to have night mode, custom fonts, custom backgrounds, to set the bright level, etc., etc.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #942
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonicholson View Post
Is there any way to navigate only with the volume keys and disable the screen navigation?
In CoolReader you can do that by Settings/Key Actions and define "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" features. But if you want to read epubs properly, then don't use CR but PocketBook Reader. With this apps you'll have all the CoolReader features (and more) and a perfect display of ebooks (remember that CR doesn't support many css features).
Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #943
leonicholson

Can you select specific folder in Pocketbook Reader? How? I keep separate folder for each. All books are listed on the screen.

I also have difficulty using the phone for ebooks due to all the sensitive buttons. I have ordered a protective cover that appears to have recesses for the buttons.

Last edited by leonicholson; 12-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #944
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonicholson View Post
Can you select specific folder in Pocketbook Reader? How? I keep separate folder for each. All books are listed on the screen.

I also have difficulty using the phone for ebooks due to all the sensitive buttons. I have ordered a protective cover that appears to have recesses for the buttons.
Yes, you can set folders where the app goes to search for ebooks. See the following picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-01-20-52-58.png
Views:	475
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	144249

After that, you'll see the following options where you can set folders:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-01-20-55-26.png
Views:	473
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	144250

Regards
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #945
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Doesn't work on my Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader