Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Beta Test complete on new Firmware Upgrade

Dear All:

The long awaited Revised March Firmware Upgrade has been in Beta test for the last 8 working days. We utilized the services of Dale DePriest to assure that there are no glitches PARTICULARLY regarding the battery charge life drain of the original March upgrade.

ALL results are "in" and we are proceeding with getting the new Revised FI posted on: www.TheEZreader.com. It should be up soon.

This will restore the TTS that the original version removed, will provide CoolReader 3, will have the new FB2 version, and is supposed to solve the problems with .LIT. It takes a while to assure that the battery charge life drain problem is indeed fixed and it is!!

The Revised March Firmware Upgrade does the following:

Corrects battery charge life drain found in original March FI.
Adds CoolReader 3 format.
Adds the latest version of FB2 format.
Changes the date to read MM/DD/YYYY instead of DD/MM/YYYY.
Supports some additional font styles.
Improves .LIT format reading experience.
Restores Text-TO-Speech lost in original March FI

I KNOW you have been waiting. Some of you have tried Jinke and other Firmware Upgrades. I would recommend using the Astak version as IF problems do develop down the road with your device... at least we know there is no conflict with the FI. KEEP your Astak Device ALL Astak!!

Thank you for waiting!!

Last edited by Robertb; 04-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Hi Robert,

I've got a question about the new Firmware update. If all I ever read are epubs and pdf, is there any reason to download the new firmware? Or... seeing as how it supports .lit, does that mean if I download a book from the forums in .lit format, I won't need to convert it to epub? And for those who use Cool Reader, is there any benefit in using that for ebooks, rather than just converting everything to epub? I guess for now I'm happy just reading epubs, so I'm not sure if there would be any benefit to me to download the latest firmware. Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
You might find Coolreader3 is a better reader for ePubs.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Ok, I didn't realize it worked for epubs. But I just checked the wiki and saw the new version does, so I think I'll try it out. Thanks, jusmee! I'm also pleased to see it supports RTF, which makes one less step for me when copying text into my own ebooks. Now I won't have to convert them to epubs! I can't wait to try it out!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Awesome, can't wait to have this proper version available!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Adobe Digital Editions DRM a reason to use Astak Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
... Some of you have tried Jinke and other Firmware Upgrades. I would recommend using the Astak version as IF problems do develop down the road with your device... at least we know there is no conflict with the FI. KEEP your Astak Device ALL Astak!!

Thank you for waiting!!
Given that our hallowed and beloved EZReader Pocket Pro, Jinke Hanlin v5, Papyre 5.1, LBook V5, and BeBook Mini are all the exact same device rebranded for different international markets, it's hard to imagine what sort of problems could develop 'down the road' that couldn't be solved by re-flashing to a previously supported firmware release for whatever brand you're using.

I certainly appreciate Astak tech support not being sympathetic to PP owners who have 'gone outside the family' coming to them with their un-authorized firmware problems. However, I'm keen to load whatever software on this device that best meets my needs at any given time. Eventually, something like Inkpot will be written for the v5 family, and that will be an interesting day.

The only significant advantage that I currently see in using Astak firmware would be for permitting me to read ebooks with Adobe Editions DRM used by my local library and Overdrive. AE doesn't seem to care what firmware is on my PocketPro when it comes to downloading DRM-protected library books to it. But I had to put Astak firmware back onto the device in order to read them as they wouldn't open with the LBook firmware.

I haven't checked any non-Astak reader firmware aside from LBook to see if ADE DRM'd books would open on them, but I would assume probably not.

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
The only significant advantage that I currently see in using Astak firmware would be for permitting me to read ebooks with Adobe Editions DRM used by my local library and Overdrive. AE doesn't seem to care what firmware is on my PocketPro when it comes to downloading DRM-protected library books to it. But I had to put Astak firmware back onto the device in order to read them as they wouldn't open with the LBook firmware.

I haven't checked any non-Astak reader firmware aside from LBook to see if ADE DRM'd books would open on them, but I would assume probably not.

Cheers!
I was lead to believe lbook supported Adobe DRM. That's disappointing to hear.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Given that our hallowed and beloved EZReader Pocket Pro, Jinke Hanlin v5, Papyre 5.1, LBook V5, and BeBook Mini are all the exact same device rebranded for different international markets, it's hard to imagine what sort of problems could develop 'down the road' that couldn't be solved by re-flashing to a previously supported firmware release for whatever brand you're using.
I think the reasoning is so Astak can rule out firmware problems. Imagine how Astak's support would be if everyone running the LBook firmware had a particular problem and started contacting Astak for support? Kind of makes it difficult for Astak to diagnose either firmware or hardware problems if people aren't using their implementation of firmware on their hardware.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I was lead to believe lbook supported Adobe DRM. That's disappointing to hear.
I have this sneaking suspicion that if you re-authorised your reader after flashing with the lbook firmware it may work.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #10
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I think the reasoning is so Astak can rule out firmware problems. Imagine how Astak's support would be if everyone running the LBook firmware had a particular problem and started contacting Astak for support? Kind of makes it difficult for Astak to diagnose either firmware or hardware problems if people aren't using their implementation of firmware on their hardware.
When you say "their implementation", they don't actually modify it themselves do they? I ask because I have assumed they don't, and that Jinke are doing all the programming and bug fixes.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I have this sneaking suspicion that if you re-authorised your reader after flashing with the lbook firmware it may work.
If Astak hadn't just announced a fixed firmware release, I might be tempted to try it myself. The only time I tried lbook, was back when everyone was having battery problems - and then I didn't have any DRM books. I do now though.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #12
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
My apologizes for this (maybe) very stupid question: are we talking here about the new firmware for the EZReader PocketPro (Hanlin V5) or EZreader (Hanlin V3ext)?
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 AM   #13
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
My apologizes for this (maybe) very stupid question: are we talking here about the new firmware for the EZReader PocketPro (Hanlin V5) or EZreader (Hanlin V3ext)?
The PocketPro (v5).
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Scratch That! LBook firmware works fine with Adobe DRM

I was wrong in my previous post.

Here's the sequence:
  1. I have an Adobe Digital Additions account which I had already set up on my Sony PRS-600 successfully for buying DRM'd books and borrowing them from the library.

2. Today I "authorized" my Pocket Pro for ADE for the first time, while LBook firmware was on-board. And when I tried to read the books I had loaded using ADE, none would open.

3. So I next put the latest Astak firmware (March 2010) back on, and all the ADE DRM protected books became available.

4. In the interest of being thorough, I cycled through Jinke, Papyre, BeBook, and finally, LBook firmware, and I found that the DRM books opened within each and every one of them.

To be clear - this seems to work because the device has been authorized be Adobe Digital Editions, and the authorization doesn't appear to be tied to the firmware.

It was interesting comparing the different firmware. They are all pretty similar, except that BeBook and Papyre both use the previous version of CoolReader (looked similar to the version on the December 2009 Astak firmware). They all had TTS for English, or "Ingles" in the case of the Papyre

It will be very interesting to see how the newest Astak firmware compares.

Sorry for the mis-information!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Robert, when will this fixed up firmware be available?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote