Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But without DRM you can do the conversion. And you can use them directly in other devices that support mobipocket, like the Cybook, or in desktop apps.
No real conversion needed. Just rename the extension to .mobi or .prc.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
No real conversion needed. Just rename the extension to .mobi or .prc.
To use in a Sony? I thought it didn't support mobipocket format, and that's what Steve Jordan said anyway.

Ah, well, the second part of my message was to be interpreted "without conversion", i.e., you can use the mobipocket directly in some devices and, for those where you can't, you can do the conversion if there is no DRM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
To use in a Sony? I thought it didn't support mobipocket format, and that's what Steve Jordan said anyway.

Ah, well, the second part of my message was to be interpreted "without conversion", i.e., you can use the mobipocket directly in some devices and, for those where you can't, you can do the conversion if there is no DRM.
Sorry, I misunderstood. For Sony you need to expand it and then convert to ePUB or LRF.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Calibre can convert DRM free AZW/PRC/Mobi to ePub or LRF quite easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
This doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

Searching for drm-free gives 9 results.

Searching for drmfree gives 11 results (mostly duplicates of the above 9).

Out of a quarter of a million books not very impressive.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Patience, Grasshopper... remember, it's mostly independents that will push this movement, and they don't all hang out around these sites that are endorsing the idea. Then reviewers have to start tagging comments (can you add a tag to an old post?). It may take a bit of time before the word gets out.

On a related note: I added "drmfree" to my site's meta tags, and I can't even find it in a Google for "drmfree"...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er
frikk began at the beginning.

Device: sony rs-505
Quote:
But without DRM you can do the conversion. And you can use them directly in other devices that support mobipocket, like the Cybook, or in desktop apps.
This makes sense. But I need a kindle to buy the books? Isn't that kind of bizarre?!
frikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannyc View Post
This appears to be an education process for the public. Apple was roundly criticized for its DRM approach to music. Amazon, not so much. True, the audience is relatively small now, but it can only grow. The issue should be addressed now.
I think you're right that the problem lies in the size of the audience. I was showing my relatives my Kindle at Easter dinner last night, and most of them had no idea what an ebook reader (let alone an ebook) actually was. With that kind of situation, I doubt the DRM situation can be addressed successfully. Ebook readers need to be more widely adopted first, so that people have some reason to care about DRM on ebooks.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
This makes sense. But I need a kindle to buy the books? Isn't that kind of bizarre?!
That's Amazon's way. It's their store and they chose to make it so. But that affects the transaction, not the file once you get it.

In sum:

1. DRMed ebooks are usually tied to a particular individual device, or have a password or something. They cannot be converted and cannot be used in a different device.

2. DRM-free ebooks, are free to be used in any reader that supports the format, and they can be converted to other formats for use in other readers.

3. In the Amazon store you can only get ebooks (with or without DRM) if you have a Kindle (or an iPhone...). Once you have the ebook, see 1 or 2.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The dike seems to have sprung a small little leak. I'll bet that Amazon has a business development plan that contemplates a point at which they will begin to sell nondrm ebooks just like mp3s - straight download to your computer.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
How do you add the tag to Amazon's web site? Or are they really adding the tag?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The dike seems to have sprung a small little leak. I'll bet that Amazon has a business development plan that contemplates a point at which they will begin to sell nondrm ebooks just like mp3s - straight download to your computer.
If "straight to your computer" means you don't need to own a Kindle... that's the day we're all looking forward to.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #28
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
If "straight to your computer" means you don't need to own a Kindle... that's the day we're all looking forward to.
Yeah, that's what I meant. It could just be wishful thinking, though.

Still, at some point we might reach the "give away the razor, sell the blades" point in connection with ebooks. In a way, that point has already been reached with iPhone apps. It would be interesting to know what relation there is between Kindle ebook sales and Kindle app ebook sales.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. It could just be wishful thinking, though.

Still, at some point we might reach the "give away the razor, sell the blades" point in connection with ebooks. In a way, that point has already been reached with iPhone apps. It would be interesting to know what relation there is between Kindle ebook sales and Kindle app ebook sales.
Yes, but only with iPhone apps. So far, not everyone owns an iPhone (I don't), so until there is a Kindle app for every handheld device (phone, PDA, crackberry, etc), it's not much of a solution yet.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Still, at some point we might reach the "give away the razor, sell the blades" point in connection with ebooks.
Gosh, I hope not.

Suppose Company A makes an e-book reader that they give away for free. They take a hefty loss per customer on the e-book reader, which they plan to recoup by selling books for the e-book reader, and charging extra for each book.

But suppose Companies B, C, D and E are all making e-books--and they *don't* give away e-book readers, so they don't have to charge extra for the books. Their books are cheaper than Company A's.

If customers buy books from B, C, D. and E, instead of Company A, A never makes any money at all, and loses big time on the e-book readers they gave away. Company A is neither a charity, nor run by morons, so they make darn sure their reader will display their books and only their books.

Say goodbye to any hope of Company A's e-book readers displaying a wide variety of e-book formats. Say goodbye to any hope of Company A's e-book readers having a good source of free or inexpensive e-books. Say hello to overpriced e-books in a proprietary format and DRM'ed up the wazoo.

No thanks, I'd rather pay for the e-book reader.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon kindle, drm, drmfree, tags