Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
wang960
wang960 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
help me test this pdf

Hi,

I'm interested in the Sony PRS-505, my main use of this device will be, more on the reading of PDFs, I have seen this reader and the look is really appealing, but I'm not sure how it works with PDFs, I hope somebody here can help me on this, here is a free PDF file:

http://www.manning.com/bauer2/chapter2.pdf

Please try to read it in your reader, is the reading comfortable? better upload a picture, thanks

wang960
wang960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It works, but the type is _really_ small, so small that some characters aren't compleatly formed.

In landscape mode, viewing half the page, it works okay, but I didn't read far enough to see if this mangled any diagrams &c.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Note the PRS-505 reader scales down the PDF to fit on the screen. So if the PDF is designed for the PRS-505 then they read just fine and work great. Howerver most PDF are created for printout 8.5x11 they will look tiny on the Reader, next to unreadable.

Most of us use PDFLRF a tool that turns the PDF to an image, then bolds the text and crops out the white spaces. Ths makes the PDFs very readable.

I've ran your PDF on PDFLRF and the output is very readable. (Note not the stand alone PDF)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Have you tried doing a Select All of the PDF then a Copy then pasting the results into a Word document which you then move to the Reader? I've had good results doing this although I haven't tried any figures yet.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang960 View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in the Sony PRS-505, my main use of this device will be, more on the reading of PDFs, I have seen this reader and the look is really appealing, but I'm not sure how it works with PDFs, I hope somebody here can help me on this, here is a free PDF file:

http://www.manning.com/bauer2/chapter2.pdf

Please try to read it in your reader, is the reading comfortable? better upload a picture, thanks

wang960
I have several manning "ebooks". I have emailed them several times to make a format that ebook readers could use but never even got a reply. I used the Mobipocket reader on my PC to convert them. It worked really well. But then Calibre choked when trying to convert them to LRF. I think that Kovid is working on that unicode issue though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
wang960

can you email me a picture of that? my email address is:

wang960 at yahoo dot com

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Note the PRS-505 reader scales down the PDF to fit on
I've ran your PDF on PDFLRF and the output is very readable. (Note not the stand alone PDF)

=X=
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given how much margin there is on thos sample, I would guess that using PDFLRF may work very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would be a lot easier to just attach the photo so every can see how well pdflrf actually works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LRF Pictures

Sure no problem

PDFLRF has many settings so you can really customize how one wishes to convert the PDF.
I like my PDF to be portrait and stretched with no whitespace boarders.

Attached are three files, One with my preferred layout, default layout, and the original PDF.

Note: I've looked at the attached photos, the pixelization seen on these images do not show up on the PRS-505 reader .

__
=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lrf_pic1.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	12703   Click image for larger version

Name:	lrf_pic2_default.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	12704   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf_pic1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	12705  

Last edited by =X=; 05-08-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Updated comment
Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
wang960

Hi, Thanks, it's nice to see those pictures, I'd guess the first image is your preferred one, right? can you send a picture that it is displayed in the prs-505? say, I can see the prs505 reader with the content in it? thanks.

Quote:
Sure no problem

PDFLRF has many settings so you can really customize how one wishes to convert the PDF.
I like my PDF to be portrait and stretched with no whitespace boarders.

__
=X=
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi wang,

I've attached two photos of the book (converted to LRF using pdflrf) on my PRS-500. The colour is a bit odd because I took one of them in strange light. But you should be able to see that the text is perfectly readable (any blurriness is due to my unsteady hand ).

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	text_code_full.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	12706   Click image for larger version

Name:	text_image.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	12707  
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #12
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hadn't tried using pdflrt to convert the PDF to a portrait orientated LRT because I usually like the large text size. But I tried it with this PDF and it came out rather nicely. As long as you don't mind small print it should be comfortable to read and has the advantage of fitting more text on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	text_picture.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	12710  
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Isn't this community awsome!

Thanks epiphany, I did not get around to taking the photo because I did not have the 505 and camera on hand. Yes I like the small fonts better keeps me from having to page so much.

wang960 epiphany's pictures are on the 500 but represent the 505 capabilities quite well. So I will not be posting the 505. If you would like to see the 505 let me know and I can post the photos here tonight.

=X=
Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang960 View Post
Hi, Thanks, it's nice to see those pictures, I'd guess the first image is your preferred one, right? can you send a picture that it is displayed in the prs-505? say, I can see the prs505 reader with the content in it? thanks.
Is that Hibernate or NHibernate in Action? I own both of those books. Although the later is taking forever to be finished... and I think we have decided to use Entity Framework instead.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
wang960

I'm convinced Sony 505 is the device can do the job with Epiphany's picture, I'd be very glad to see your 505 picture before making the final decision.

Quote:
Thanks epiphany, I did not get around to taking the photo because I did not have the 505 and camera on hand. Yes I like the small fonts better keeps me from having to page so much.

wang960 epiphany's pictures are on the 500 but represent the 505 capabilities quite well. So I will not be posting the 505. If you would like to see the 505 let me know and I can post the photos here tonight.

=X=