Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question Kindle Fire HD 2012 and Rooting

Hi Experts:

I would like to root my HD 2012 in order to install google apps but I am confused about what I should do. I tried to do a search but that confused me even more. Can someone point me to the correct links to use in order to root my device?

Thanks
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I used the download method from the n2aOS.com site. But you can find the same sort of thing at xda.com.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I used the download method from the n2aOS.com site. But you can find the same sort of thing at xda.com.
That is a non-free option, what is the benefit of paying for the jailbreak??
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The advantage is that it is relatively easy. Although anyone with any hacking experience, including me, should try the xda way, first. I was just feeling lazy, I guess. I was so sick of the kindle interface, I wanted immediate results.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

If I go this route, will I still have access to the amazon app store while being able to use my google account to add my apps to the fire directly??
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, you will have to add the Amazon app store to the tablet. Most of the apps will work. Apps that say "Kindle Fire Edition" will NOT work, because it will essentially NOT be a Kindle Fire anymore.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Oh well I do not want to do that, I just want to add the google store, I do not want to lose the functionality of the existing Fire features. Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I understand what you are saying....but not sure that can be done. You can search around on xda. I did a similar thing on our Nooks, rooted and added the Amazon App Store to them all. It left the Nook interface alone (although I added launchers, too).

But I am not sure if that can be done with the Fire. It wouldn't be just the Play Store, it would be all the other Google services, too.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Oh well I do not want to do that, I just want to add the google store, I do not want to lose the functionality of the existing Fire features. Thanks for answering my questions.
There are other options. To get the look and feel of a standard Android tablet, you could add a launcher (ADW Launcher) without having to root. This will get you folders for better organization. You don't lose any of the stock Fire features. Switching back and forth is as easy as hitting the home button or the ADW app. I have this on my Fire HD 7.1 and love it. Instructions can be found here:

To get access to non-Google apps that Amazon doesn't carry (Nook, Kobo, 3M Cloud Library), you can sideload the APKs or install third party appstores (like 1Mobile Market). I find it easier to use other appstores. Instructions here:

To get some Google specific apps without having to root, follow these instructions:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There are other options. To get the look and feel of a standard Android tablet, you could add a launcher (ADW Launcher) without having to root. This will get you folders for better organization. You don't lose any of the stock Fire features. Switching back and forth is as easy as hitting the home button or the ADW app. I have this on my Fire HD 7.1 and love it. Instructions can be found here:

To get access to non-Google apps that Amazon doesn't carry (Nook, Kobo, 3M Cloud Library), you can sideload the APKs or install third party appstores (like 1Mobile Market). I find it easier to use other appstores. Instructions here:

To get some Google specific apps without having to root, follow these instructions:
Thanks Tubemonkey: I already use two of these alternatives, what I was looking for was a way to add the google play store so that I can get some of my Google apps directly on the Fire from my account. But I guess that is not possible without first losing Amazon features, which I do not want to do.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Tubemonkey: I already use two of these alternatives, what I was looking for was a way to add the google play store so that I can get some of my Google apps directly on the Fire from my account. But I guess that is not possible without first losing Amazon features, which I do not want to do.
YW - Google Play requires root. There's no way around that requirement.

Which of the two do you have?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I am using the adw launcher and the 1mobile market.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I am using the adw launcher and the 1mobile market.
Thanks - you can still load most of the Google apps without rooting.