Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Listing of available Harvard Classics volumes

RWood, the creator of the MobileRead version of the Harvard Classics series, has added a nice reference listing of the volumes with links to the free downloads.

Be sure to check it out on this new Harvard Classics MobileRead wiki page.

The volumes continue to be offered individually in order to maximize the discussion of each volume in the associated forum threads, as well as making updates simpler. The are offered here at MobileRead in both Sony Reader and MobiPocket formats, with no DRM and at no cost, and this new index listing of the volumes should make downloads simple for everyone.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Great work!

However, the naming of the files is not well thought out. There seems to be absolutely no naming convention used. I suggest coming up with a convention that will make it easy to identify each file. It could be something as simple as HarvardClassicsVolX.*, where X denotes the volume number.

Thanks for the good work!
Advert
Old 07-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Great work!

However, the naming of the files is not well thought out. There seems to be absolutely no naming convention used. I suggest coming up with a convention that will make it easy to identify each file. It could be something as simple as HarvardClassicsVolX.*, where X denotes the volume number.

Thanks for the good work!
They are consistently named. What you see in the E-Books list is the thread topic for the books. It isn't the name of the actually file for the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They are consistently named. What you see in the E-Books list is the thread topic for the books. It isn't the name of the actually file for the book.
No, the filenames are NOT consistent. Here are three of the six filenames I downloaded, as an example:

Classics_Harvard Classics-01.prc
Harvard Classics Volume II.prc
Harvard Classics 34.prc

As you can clearly see, there are three different file naming schemes used in these few files.

BTW: These were all from the MobiPocket versions. I looked briefly at the Sony *.lrf filenames and they do seem to be consistent, at least the three I glanced at.

I'm really not trying to be picky here. It is just that if you have dozens or hundreds of eBooks in your library, it will be easier to find a Harvard Classic volume if all the filenames begin with a consistent naming scheme. That way they will be in an alphabetized list. Otherwise you will have to manually search for them.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-29-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
jswinden, you are correct and it is a function of the way BookDesigner creates PRC file names, my rush to quickly deploy the PRC files that I had already created for the Sony Reader in LRF, and my inexperience with PRC files. (I did test them on my Palm powered Samsung i500 cell phone.)

As has been pointed out in other threads there are no Table of Contents in the PRC versions (except with one product and I forget that product's name.) This will be fixed in the future with the next revision along with the file name situation for PRC files.

While the original Harvard Classics were numbered with Roman Numerals and this convention was followed for the most part, the next revision will use the standard numbering convention of 01, 02, ..., 49.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
BPC
BPC began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook reader prs500
Thumbs up Volume 4

Great work! Thank you so very much for putting everything in one place. Just a minor thing - volume 4 on the wikipage actually links to volume 3.

I have downloaded all 49 volumes. Don't think I will be able to read all of them, but it feels so good just to have them...
BPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
Great work! Thank you so very much for putting everything in one place. Just a minor thing - volume 4 on the wikipage actually links to volume 3.

I have downloaded all 49 volumes. Don't think I will be able to read all of them, but it feels so good just to have them...
Great catch, the link has been fixed.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
mercury7
mercury7 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work, RWood!
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
I even found one I missed the first time through
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote