Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Question (Long) Sony PRS-650 or PocketBook Pro 602?

I currently own a black Sony PRS-650 and while I truly like it for reading, annotation and note taking functionality, the problems with ejecting the device from within calibre and the music playback leaves much to be desired.

As I had chronicled in the "Boot loop after large changes" thread, the PRS-650 has trouble when more than a few music files are added to the internal memory at a time. When I did get a chance to test out the music playback (with music files on a memory card), I found that the PRS-650 could only play music files from a specific album and not all the files in a specific folder. <- Really?!

I'm sure that many of you would ask "Why not use your phone or your PSP for listening to music and just use the PRS-650 for reading?" or "Why not get a dedicated DAP (Digital Audio Player) as well?"

I like to be able to use all of the functionality on a device even if I don't use it all of the time. On the off chance that I decide to stop reading for a while or need to drown out so of the background noise to focus on my reading, the music would come in really handy. I current budget doesn't allow me to get myself a dedicated DAP in addition to an ereader.

I also own a very sensitive pair of In-Ear Monitors (HifiMAN RE-252: 16 Ohm, 116 dB/mW) which also tend to hiss when plugged into a less than ideal source (such as my Xperia X10). When plugged into my PRS-650 however, I don't hear any hiss when playing my music.

So my question to you all is should I stick with the PRS-650 (excellent build quality, smaller overall size, quirks and all?), return it and get a PocketBook Pro 602 (more supported formats and languages, text styles, wireless, larger overall size and potentially buggy software?) or just return it and use my Xperia X10 with FBReader for now?

Last edited by Soul_Est; 11-29-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
While i agree that a product feature (playing music with 650) should work regardless if it's a primary usage feature or not personally i've given up on this part. My 650 is for reading and my iPod for music. I'd like to have a single device for all but that hasn't worked in the past and wouldn't in the near future i suppose.

I would keep the 650 as it's one of the best ereaders currently available.

Just my 2 cents.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Thanks SkyDream for replying to both of my threads. I am going to keep my PRS-650 after all especially since I read quite a few PDFs.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 11-29-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote