Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
lesliek19
lesliek19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
"ImportError: No module named encutils"

I'm using Calibre 0.8.38 with Ubuntu 12.04.

When trying to convert an epub book to mobi, I got the above message after the conversion failed.

i found this bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1030544

It contained a suggested workaround, but I don't know enough to try it.

Is there any other way to overcome this problem?
lesliek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek19 View Post
I'm using Calibre 0.8.38 with Ubuntu 12.04.

Is there any other way to overcome this problem?
I don't use linux, but I would suggest you stop using an ancient version of calibre. Repository versions are not supported. Remove that version and install the latest version following the information and command string supplied on calibre's linux download page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
lesliek19

You must concede that at least I knew enough to include my version number!

Seriously, thank you very much for your reply. I upgraded to 0.9.0 in accordance with your instructions and the conversion then worked perfectly.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You must concede that at least I knew enough to include my version number!
Yes you did.
Thankyou

Why the Ubuntu crew won't update the repository version except at release time (and that is already 10 releases old) has confounded me.

I created a 'Calibre_Update' Launcher button (Before Unity, When it was easy) with the download page command line. 1 click plus 2 enters (accept the defaults)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
lesliek19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Before Unity, When it was easy
I went back to Gnome Classic. Now look and feel is just as it was and all is well.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I went back to Gnome Classic. Now look and feel is just as it was and all is well.
I enabled the classic (package), it went back? to something weirdly in between the old Ubuntu Menu and ? (The menu bar now has 4 ROWS that I can't seem to affect)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
lesliek19

Just to show you--you can make it look like it used to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	93254  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Just to show you--you can make it look like it used to.
I obliviously have done something strange
cus' that look pretty normal (except for the desktop clutter )