Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Content server help please. Warning! Idiot posting!

I am trying to set up the Calibre server so that my family and I can access my (large) collection of ebooks from our homes at all corners of the UK. It works beautifully on my home wi-fi connection, but I'm struggling with the web server. I'm using Megabooks on my iphone for testing. I obtained my IP address by googling "my ip addess" and adding ":8080" after it. The error message is "Error Adding Catalog" and "Cannot connect with catalog" so it is connecting with something right? The catalogue will be very big. Is that a problem? Thanks! Sorry for asking questions which I'm sure I should be able to sort out myself!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Why don't you put your collection in a dropbox folder and then invite them to share that folder? They can then add the books to Calibre themselves on their own computers.
How big is your big? If the person uses your link to install Dropbox on their own computer with a new account, they will have 2.5 gb which is at least enough for around 2,500-3,000 epubs (without too many illustrations).
If you really, really want to use the server, this thread discusses issues/how to set it up:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...content+server

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-30-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
pufff
Enthusiast

My library is bigger than that unfortunately
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Why not create a small library and work with that in initial testing. Don't think size is the problem, but eliminating it as a factor can't hurt.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
pufff
Enthusiast

Thanks. I created a 1 book library and it still didn't work so I now know size is not the issue. Does the fact that the wireless access to the catalogue works well mean anything? The "Test Server" button worked also.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think you have said that you can access your library from other devices connected to your home network? As I understand it you are talking about accessing your library from outside your home network via the public internet? On that basis:
  • What exactly have you done to ensure that the external internet facing IP address of your home network is known?
  • What have you done in terms of port forwarding from the external network to the PC/Mac running Calibre server?
If neither of those questions means anything to you (yet anyway!) then it gives a good idea of what you are going to need to do to get access from the internet.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
pufff
Enthusiast

I obtained my IP address by googling "My IP address" and used that followed by :8080 which is the sever port indicated under "preferences" and "Sharing over the Internet" in Calibre.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
I obtained my IP address by googling "My IP address" and used that followed by :8080 which is the sever port indicated under "preferences" and "Sharing over the Internet" in Calibre.
You have a big SAFE router, between the world and your home PC blocking port 8080 (and all the others)

You need to configure Port forwarding, reserved or static ip for your content server PC (so it never changes).

You need to consult the Routers help (after careful consideration of the perils of opening any pin-hole in a firewall) to configure.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Also depending on your OS you may have to allow access to that port from external sources. Is this Windows / Linux or some other flavour.

In essence think of the route that data must take APP -> OS - > ROUTER -> YOUR ISP

Or for your punters: Their APP -> Their OS -> Their ROUTER -> Their ISP -> CLOUDS -> Your ISP -> YOUR ROUTER -> YOUR OS -> YOUR LIBRARY.

Follow the route, if one section fails the entire thing fails.

Hope that helps.It's generic but relevant.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Just a warning - for most people the external IP address is subject to change. How frequently depends on the type of connection you have to your ISP (e.g. Cable, ADSL). There are services available that can handle this change in a transparent way. I use dyndns.org but there are others around.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote