Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Book title and author formatting on Jetbook Lite

After loading over a hundred workout manuals in PDF format from the same fitness author onto a memory card, I was a bit dismayed to realize that instead of displaying the file name of each PDF as it does with MOBI and PDB files, my JBL seems to be displaying some kind of META data for the title and author of each manual.

Unfortunately, since the author was probably working from a basic template, he didn't bother to change the title of each file, which results in a hundred books in my Workout folder that each have identical titles and authors like this:

Quote:
Assisted Dip - CraigB
Assisted Dip - CraigB
Assisted Dip - CraigB
Assisted Dip - CraigB
Assisted Dip - CraigB

There's no way to tell what each file actually contains without opening it.

Do any of you know of a way to edit that title/author information manually?

Last edited by causticmuse; 01-22-2010 at 11:20 AM.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Open the document in acrobat creator

Select document properties.

If the document is not password protected you can edit the document meta-data

If the document is password protected you have to use any one of the pdf document password cracking programs out there.

Once you have the password, enter it and you can change the meta-data
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
PDF meta data for author and title

Quote:
Originally Posted by causticmuse View Post
...Unfortunately, since the author was probably working from a basic template, he didn't bother to change the title of each file, which results in a hundred books in my Workout folder that each have identical titles and authors...
Do any of you know of a way to edit that title/author information manually?
You will need a PDF editor program to edit the document properties. I use CutePDF Pro, available here (for a free trial but not free software)
http://www.cutepdf.com/
Open the PDF file, click on File - Document Properties, and there are fields there for Title, Subject, Author, Keywords and other options settings, such as page layout and what to show when the file is opened.

I didn't want to splurge on the full Adobe product and like how simple CutePDF is to use. Price of $50 may be offputting to some though. Maybe someone else on this forum knows of a less expensive method?
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here you go, a freeware to edit PDF meta data: BeCyPDFMetaEdit

I've just downloaded and used it to edit Subject and Author (and many more) on my PDF produced from freeware Cutepdf.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
causticmuse
Binge Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Here you go, a freeware to edit PDF meta data: BeCyPDFMetaEdit

I've just downloaded and used it to edit Subject and Author (and many more) on my PDF produced from freeware Cutepdf.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try tonight. You have saved me a ton of aggravation.
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I know I'm late to the game, but you can also edit the document properties with PDF XChange Viewer (http://www.docu-track.com/). It beats the pants out of any other PDF viewer I know, and has plenty of free editing options.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
causticmuse
Binge Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I know I'm late to the game, but you can also edit the document properties with PDF XChange Viewer (http://www.docu-track.com/). It beats the pants out of any other PDF viewer I know, and has plenty of free editing options.
Wow. That is an amazing PDF viewer. Thanks for posting the link!

Direct link to the free viewer page:
http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_...s/pdfx_viewer/
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the preferences under Registration, you can have it hide the "PRO" version stuff so it doesn't clutter up the menu. Much faster and less bloated than Adobe Reader, better features than Foxit. And... you can save PDF forms even when Adobe cannot! My two cents.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
thenitch
thenitch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
I've used just a basic text editor (vi) to change the meta data on a couple unencrypted pdfs that I have.

Lance

Jetbook
thenitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Kralik
Guru

Ha, vi ftw! Always preferred to Emacs.