Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Emailing Calibre documents

Can I set calibre to automatically email me what it downloads, check my email on the web browser and download the files (all without paying the $.15 per MB fee)?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Punksmurf
Punksmurf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I know Calibre has some functionality to email books to you after conversion, and probably after other events as well. How exactly that works I don't know however, as I can't fathom how this could be useful (which likely betrays some ignorance from my part), so I haven't really bothered to dive into it.

I am pretty sure though that Calibre cannot check your email (especially not using a random, hitherto unnamed webmail interface) to retrieve the documents you just send there. As there really wouldn't be much of a point to that anyway, I'm guessing you're trying to accomplish something different altogether, which most likely has to do with avoiding some fee you apparently have to, and don't want to, pay.

As you can probably surmise, I am at a loss at what exactly you want (except avoiding data charges) and I'm afraid I'm not the only one either. Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to achieve?

Last edited by Punksmurf; 11-15-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Bad English
Punksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a content server that you can browse directly using the web browser on your kindle
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has a content server that you can browse directly using the web browser on your kindle
Would my computer need to be on at serve the content?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Punksmurf

Yes, and Calibre needs to be running.
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punksmurf View Post
Yes, and Calibre needs to be running.
Thanks, but what about emailing to my gmail account (and then accessing via the Kindle web browser) as a means of avoiding Kindle fees?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Punksmurf

Ah, from your post I understood you wanted Calibre to check your mail. As I understand it now, you can send them to your Kindle in 2 ways; one way you have to pay and the other one is that you send them to your gmail account and download them from there.

I'm not much into the Kindle but this seems a bit strange to me as it would be very easy to avoid data charges. I can imagine they blocked downloading books from your webmail. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but have you tried emailing a book to yourself and download it from your webmail. If that works, it'd be worth investigating automation.

Also, can't you just put them on there with a usb cable? Seems a lot easier to me .