Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #61
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Given the previous announcement about aligning the readers with the Vaio line, perhaps the announcement will be a tablet, rather than a large-screen eInk device?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #62
eaderigt
eaderigt began at the beginning.

Device: all of them
They are going Mobipocket only?
eaderigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #63
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The moment they do that is the moment I go through my epubs and add a 'text-align: left;' line to all of them. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it till I'm blue in the face: justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious. You're adding totally erratic wordspacing into the mix for the sake of having a "pretty" box of text. I like to read my books, not look at pretty boxes of text. And ... having ... random ..... white ... spaces .... between ....... the .... words ........ does ...... not ..... work ... towards .... the ..... goal .. of ..... readability. But if you think that's more pleasing to read, then more power to you.

Oh, it's not THAT bad. I occasionally read ePubs in AdobeDE for Windows on a my work PC (on really slow days) and the justification without hyphenation has never bothered me. In fact, I didn't even notice it was different from the justification in paper books until I learned that Adobe ePub didn't support hyphenation yet.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If we can't get one how about a SHUM remote contol with a huge "mute" button and better still a "SHUM remote detonation" button. I hope it's legal...
can i be greedy and ask for BOTH ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Given the previous announcement about aligning the readers with the Vaio line, perhaps the announcement will be a tablet, rather than a large-screen eInk device?
hm, intriguing... or a netbook with e-ink screen ? not sure e-ink is fast enough for that yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Maneuverability, ease of use, no sore thumbs from button pushing...
Having the PRS-700, I don't think I could ever go back to pushing buttons.
I love the swipe!
my sentiments exactly.

Quote:
And per topic... I'm hoping they've got some wonderful surprises for the 600 under the formally known as "Settings" and now called "More Apps..." box.
What's in the box?!! What's in the box?!!
oh i know, that box is so intriguing ! i can't wait to see what is inside there... open the box !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavie View Post
Unless they are offering a 9.7 inch + reader along with newspaper susbscriptions, I'm not interested. The Kindle is a non issue for me since I live in Canada. Otherwise, it's a non concern. Here's hoping.

Tom
i suspect that we may actually see something along those lines from sony, although maybe not this month. but if you look at all the various rumours floating around (granted, so far they are only rumours, but some of them have been more or less confirmed by sony) it seems not unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaderigt View Post
They are going Mobipocket only?
don't even joke about such a thing !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 08-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #65
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow that would be nice. I wounder if they would use a T9 system for the 505 or just support the 700.
If they add a T9 system to the 505 (as they should have from the start) I'm really going to regret selling mine.
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #66
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
Oh, it's not THAT bad. I occasionally read ePubs in AdobeDE for Windows on a my work PC (on really slow days) and the justification without hyphenation has never bothered me. In fact, I didn't even notice it was different from the justification in paper books until I learned that Adobe ePub didn't support hyphenation yet.
if you are reading on your pc you probably have a larger display with more text per line than on a 6" device (particularly if, like me, you don't read on the smallest text size). that makes a significant difference in how noticeable (bad...) an automatic justification is.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But, whether you like full justification or not, it's clearly a lot better to have a device which can display both fully- and left-justified text, than one which displays left-justified text only.

I honestly don't find the full justification on the Opus to be the least bit "objectionable", speaking personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #68
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, whether you like full justification or not, it's clearly a lot better to have a device which can display both fully- and left-justified text, than one which displays left-justified text only.

I honestly don't find the full justification on the Opus to be the least bit "objectionable", speaking personally.
i don't disagree. you'll note it was me who first mentioned adding support for justified text, since it would make a lot of people happy. i wasn't talking about myself there.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #69
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if you are reading on your pc you probably have a larger display with more text per line than on a 6" device (particularly if, like me, you don't read on the smallest text size). that makes a significant difference in how noticeable (bad...) an automatic justification is.
Well, maybe a LITTLE more words per line, but not much. I make the font size big enough to read while leaning back in my chair, and I re-size the ADE window to be tall and narrow so it fits in the preview pane of Microsoft Outlook (management approves passing the time while we wait for queries to finish, but they encourage a don't-ask-don't-tell/don't-be-obvious policy with it ).

But I'm not saying you anti-justification-without-hyphenation people are crazy; you certainly have a point. I'll agree with HarryT and say a device should offer both.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #70
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I fully acknowledge that I'm in the minority on the justification issue (though I've received a decent amount of karma for my post from others with the same view). All I ask is that if they do add ADE justification, that the ADE renderer at the very least respect a left text-align property if given. However, since the firmware update (if it even exists) is likely finalized at this point, discussing it is really all a moot point anyways.

On a side note, I'm not even convinced there will be a firmware update. The early articles that announced the new models and Mac support that actually featured quotes from Sony reps stated that the Mac support would be handled by a software update (which makes sense since you would need to download the Mac software in the first place). From what I've seen, a blog or two interpreted this to be a software update for the reader itself (aka, a firmware update), and things snowballed from there. I know one or two people got in touch with Sony support and asked, but quite frankly, I don't trust anything that first line support has to say, especially when dealing with unreleased products and updates. So to be honest, I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is a firmware update for the 505 and 700, and not surprised in the least if there isn't one.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I fully acknowledge that I'm in the minority on the justification issue (though I've received a decent amount of karma for my post from others with the same view). All I ask is that if they do add ADE justification, that the ADE renderer at the very least respect a left text-align property if given.
I'm sure it will do - it does on the Opus, and that's using the Adobe renderer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #72
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Thumbs down 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Are they likely to "backport" features in their newer devices' firmware into the 505 and the 700?
They did not do it for the more vibrant smartphone marked so why would you thing they do it for the eBooks market?
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #73
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
If it doesn't bother you, great. But typographic quality is far less subjective a matter than people like to think. And by typographic standards, it is nothing short of attrocious.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #74
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure it will do - it does on the Opus, and that's using the Adobe renderer.
That's a good sign. Harry, since you're using a device that uses a more recent implementation of ADE, are there any new oddities or quirks that you've encountered?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #75
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
If it doesn't bother you, great. But typographic quality is far less subjective a matter than people like to think. And by typographic standards, it is nothing short of attrocious.

- Ahi
Well I sure learned a lot today! Ignorance was bliss though.