Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
To be fair I abuse my equipment, I take my ebook reader everywhere so I can read during the downtime.

I use to carry the reader in my back pocket, but because the wedge case is ever so slightly bigger than the original case I started carrying my reader in my brief case. While in my brief case there was a piece of debris that made it's way between my light wedge and my eBook Reader the result was the screen and the lens where scratched.

The screen only has to small scratches but the lens has many. Under regular light the scratches are not visible. It's when you turn on the wedge where they are visible.

After adding the rubber band to the reader/wedge it fixes the problem. Have not experienced any more scratches to the lens or the eReader.

For me the product is worth every penny I just wish I new about this trick before so that the lens and the screen would be in mint condition still.

=X=
Might there be some sort of self-adhesive protective film that could be purchased for either... or perhaps both? Has anybody tried something like that before? (Like the protective film that sometime comes on cell-phones' displays.)

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I suppose you could of. I've heard of folks here who have protected their screens with invisible shield. At the time I did not find it necessary since I would not be touching the screen. Hind sight is 20/20.

As for the lens I think that is a good idea the bottom of the lens scratches easily . However as long as you keep the lens over the reader you'll never scratch the lens.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The light wedge uses a fresnle(sp?) lens and a side light source. As the light travels through the lens the light is bent and redirected to the paper. The light is then evenly distributed on the paper the wedge is covering.

Personally I love the wedge. It does not produce a glare like other light sources and evenly lights up the page. I tried different lights but the glare and stray light just made reading at night impossible.
I like that thing! Now, where can I get that (on mainlaind Europe)? Not that I need it right now, but I will once I finally get that reader I've been promising myself for years
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where is it you add the rubber band?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I like that thing! Now, where can I get that (on mainlaind Europe)? Not that I need it right now, but I will once I finally get that reader I've been promising myself for years
Here in the states you can find them at Target and the SonyStyle store to name a few. If SonyStyle exists in Europe you should be able to find it there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where is it you add the rubber band?
See my attached image on post 15

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I recommend night vision goggles
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Please note that the earlier comments are in regard to a lightwedge product made just for the Sony -- something I have no experience with.

However, I have tried using a paperbook sized lightwedge with my Cybook, and I wasn't impressed. Obviously, it wasn't quite sized correctly for the reader, and that necessitated some shifting around. Also, holding a flat plastic lightwedge against a flat Cybook left me with two devices that would shift around and tire out my hand. Finally, I'm not an extra careful user, and the lightwedge gained lots of scratches.

I have been much more satisfied with the mighty bright light -- to each their own, I guess. I can shift it around so that there is no glare. It stays with the book and doesn't slide like the light wedge. Also, since it is an LED, the lights last a good long time.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #23
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I tried the Sony cover/lightwedge, but found it had an anti-glare type film on it that blurred the text (although others said it didn't happen with theirs). I also tried the old stand alone lightwedge I used to use with paperbacks, but it is clunky and shifted all over. I ended upwith the Mighty Bright Extra Flex clip on light and the results are fantastically perfect! I guess I was trying to be all techie with the wedge, when the clip on did the trick all along.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote