Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #76
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please let us know the outcome!
I will cerainly do so. I just sent the package to France
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #77
AL1432
AL1432 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3 / Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
Yep, I did some research later - I'm thinking I might just go with the Kindle. From what I can tell, Amazon has so far just replaced units that have screens that broke 'on their own'. I love the form factor of the Cybook but between currency rates, shipping and fragility, it's getting too pricey.
I totally know how you feel, Rixte. My Cybook screen also broke "for no apparent reason", and it was not cheap to have fixed. Now, I'm so afraid it will break again that I tend simply not to use it. I've gone back to my Palm T/X instead. For my two cents, the whole experience has been a waste of both money and expectations. If I knew then what I know now, I'd either just have waited till these devices are not so breakable, or else possibly gone with the Kindle, since I've also heard that Amazon tends to replace units with broken screens.
AL1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #78
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There is even a wikipedia entry for spontaneous breaking of glass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

So if it can happen with certain types of glass why rule out that it can happen for an E-ink device?
I've actually see it happen with my (brand new) car about 15 years ago. It didn't had a layered glass windshield but a hardened one. It was parked and nothing was in the neighbourhood. I was looking at it when the windshield suddenly started to crack. It turned to 'milk' in about one minute.

The garage told me it probably was thermal stress. Later I realized that was probably correct. It happened on a hot day and one side of the car was in the sun, the other side in the shade.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #79
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Unfortunately, the screen on my device broke yesterday as well. Will post the requisite screenshot when I recover emotionally. The screen looks utterly bizarre (a zig-zaggy strip on the right side. Nothing is legible, just dark stripes.

Let me just add that I don't think I dropped the device or did anything unusual. It stayed in my backpack inside a leather case. Disturbing.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #80
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Does anyone have no idea how long it takes to repair this?
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Generally takes about two weeks. Backpacks with lots of others heavy objects are not a good idea .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #82
rjnagle
Zealot

Oops, I was hoping to tote it in my backpack during my september trip to Albania and Ireland.

Like I said, I have been really happy with the device so far.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #83
AL1432
AL1432 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3 / Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post
Oops, I was hoping to tote it in my backpack during my september trip to Albania and Ireland.
That's why I gave up on mine, rjnagle, Harry notwithstanding (he's a staunch defender, apparently at ALL times). I am afraid to carry it in any sort of bag since it broke the first time, and I've just basically stopped using it. Sad. It was good while it lasted. I am sure that Bookeen does try to make a quality product, and the Cybook is good, other things aside (especially, for me, with its Mobipocket support), but at the same time I do feel the screen issue is something that needs to be addressed by them. It might be helpful if they adopted Amazon's policy of free replacements for broken screens, which would take the sting out of it somewhat, but that might not be economically feasible for them.
Al

Last edited by AL1432; 07-21-2008 at 06:01 PM.
AL1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #84
rjnagle
Zealot

see http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/07...d-luck-or-bad/

Disgruntled users, take the survey!
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/07...er-either-way/
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #85
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
And happy users take the survey, too, please! Let's be fair to Bookeen. I want the true facts. - DR
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #86
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
when you carry anything with a screen in a backpack, you leave it open to being pushed on - not just by other things in the backpack like your wallet, water bottle, camera, etc, but by the bench you put it down on if anything gets pushed against it, by other people, other books, other backbacks, jackets or other things being put on top of it, etc.

i'd go with a hard case - yes, made for something else, but something that fits the cybook - before i'd carry mine in a backpack. but then i'm paranoid
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
when you carry anything with a screen in a backpack, you leave it open to being pushed on - not just by other things in the backpack like your wallet, water bottle, camera, etc, but by the bench you put it down on if anything gets pushed against it, by other people, other books, other backbacks, jackets or other things being put on top of it, etc.
Precisely - and it's hard objects "digging in" to the device which will break the screen. Provided the Gen3 is well supported, there's no problem at all. I carry mine around in a briefcase (and have done for 9 months now) with no issues at all, but a "soft" backpack is not a good idea at all. Carry it in something rigid and you'll be fine.

The Gen3 is no more or less susseptible to damage that any other eInk device; abusing any of them in this way will result in breakage.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #88
Ortep
Fanatic

I just got an email from Bookeen concerning my display problem and I'm NOT happy

Quote:
Dear Sir,

We received your Cybook.

It seems that the display backplane is broken in fact. There is a fracture radiating at the top right corner of the device.

It was already possible to see it from the picture you sent. It is not very clear on the picture but it was already here. We didn’t see it. We are sorry for not having previously detected it and mentionned.

For your information, broken parts are not covered by the warranty. The display is the most expensive part of the device. We will propose you a display replacement if needed and if you wish us to handle the repair; this operation costs 120€ + shipping.

Our technicians are about to check up your Cybook.

We will provide you with some feedback as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bookeen Support Team
According to Bookeen I was able to break the screen in exactly 4 equal parts without touching it
Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmmm
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #90
rjnagle
Zealot

Here's a screenshot of my loss. BTW, the bottom left is just a food stain of some sort.

Tags
broken, cybook, screen