Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #196
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I just didn't see any reference to matchbox-keyboard your using at the github repo you posted.
Other than the matchbox-keyboard patch in your tree.
In order to clean up the mess a bit I added my Kindle matchbox-keyboard tree to github.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #197
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Super!
Both parts of the puzzle application can now be found:
https://github.com/bfabiszewski?tab=repositories
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #198
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Kterm on PW3: top doesn't work?

I installed kterm on my jailbroken PW3. I got an error when trying the top command:
Unknown HZ value! (43) Assume 100
'xterm': unknown terminal type.

...and no list of processes, etc.

Other commands seem fine.
top runs correctly on PW1.

Any easy way to fix this?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #199
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Use htop as bundled with USBNet? ^^
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #200
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
IIRC the terminfo on the Kindle is rather incompetent. The htop binary that NiLuJe provides is much nicer about that.

Also, ever since I learned about htop I have never, ever, ever used top again.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #201
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the default terminfo db is either old or too severely stripped down.

I ship a (stripped down, but up to date) copy of it with USBNet, and its htop build is hard-coded to use it over the system's.

(meaning if you really have masochistic tendencies, you could probably make the default top build usable by playing with the TERMINFO env var if you have USBNet installed).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2016 at 01:46 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 AM   #202
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Use htop as bundled with USBNet? ^^
Thanks! That works... in PW1 too!
Didn't know that there was a bundled htop with USBnet.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #203
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Thanks! That works... in PW1 too!
Didn't know that there was a bundled htop with USBnet.
Yeah, probably another thing we hide in the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #204
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kterm 2.0

New kterm version is ready for testing.
I found some time and did what I wanted to do long time ago. The new version removes dependency on matchbox keyboard. It introduces native embedded widget. This may not be so important for end users but it brings some benefits in terms of development, maintenance and stability. Matchbox keyboard didn't receive any updates from the authors and above all it was very unstable on kindles.
The new native keyboard works with old matchbox keyboard xml config files, but some adjustments may be necessary. The old configs for kindles had many hacks because matchbox keyboard didn't work properly. We had to use images instead of text labels and we had to specify precise sizes of buttons.
In the bundled config that I tested on Kindle Touch I left only few image labels. For most keys I use normal text labels. I have no idea how it will look on Paperwhite (or if it will start at all as there were some problems with different libraries). I will be glad to hear any feedback on that.
If there is a need for separate layout for different Kindles I suggest to start customizations with the bundled one, not any of the old hacked layouts.
The new kterm at last supports screen rotation. I couldn't make this work reliably with matchbox keyboard.
I also added a command line option to set env variables.
It should also fix the problems with missing TERMINFO. Now bundled.

More info, source and packages for kindle on kterm's github page: https://github.com/bfabiszewski/kterm

Last edited by baf; 10-01-2016 at 03:43 AM. Reason: thanks nasser :)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #205
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
The new version, 2.1 works fine for me on PW3
Thanks for the work!

(Although, I can see the keyboard 'resize' to fit the screen when it first opens, but it is not a big problem. I assume you know about it, but I just want to make sure)

Thanks!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #206
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
The new version, 2.1 works fine for me on PW3
Thanks for the work!

(Although, I can see the keyboard 'resize' to fit the screen when it first opens, but it is not a big problem. I assume you know about it, but I just want to make sure)

Thanks!
Great! Thanks for the quick feedback.

Yes I noticed that on Kindle there is an ugly keyboard resize visible on launch like slow refresh (not visible on a pc). I am not a gtk guru, so I will have to dig more. Not a top priority though.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #207
nasser
Evangelist

Welcome back, Baf!
Great work to update this essential application for jailbroken Kindles!

New kterm version works OK on my PW1.
Some slight differences in the way the keyboard looks. Screenshots attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
The new kterm at last supports screen rotation. I could make this work reliably with matchbox keyboard.
[/url]
You mean, of course, that you COULDN'T make it work reliably with matchbox..

The images sub folder seems to contain all the images of the keys? Which are the ones really used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kterm_old.png
Views:	222
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	152062   Click image for larger version

Name:	kterm_new.png
Views:	211
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	152063  
Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #208
nasser
Evangelist

Interesting side effect of new kterm version:
Midnight Commander now works from KUAL - without the initial screen distortion!
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=22

Last edited by nasser; 10-01-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #209
nasser
Evangelist

The rotation setting is persistent across sessions. Where is it being stored? There's no entry in 'kterm.conf'.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:41 AM   #210
baf
Evangelist

Hi nasser!

Quote:
The images sub folder seems to contain all the images of the keys? Which are the ones really used?
Code:
[root@kindle layouts]# grep 'image:' keyboard.xml
        <default display="image:img/esc.png" action="escape" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f1.png" action="f1" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f2.png" action="f2" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f3.png" action="f3" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f4.png" action="f4" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f5.png" action="f5" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f6.png" action="f6" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f7.png" action="f7" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f8.png" action="f8" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f9.png" action="f9" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f10.png" action="f10" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f11.png" action="f11" />
        <mod1 display="image:img/f12.png" action="f12" />
        <default display="image:img/back.png" action="backspace" />
        <shifted display="image:img/del.png" action="delete" />
        <default display="image:img/tab.png" action="tab" />
        <default display="image:img/capslk.png" action="modifier:caps" />
        <default display="image:img/return.png" action="return" />
        <default display="image:img/shift.png" action="modifier:shift" />
        <default display="image:img/up.png" action="up" />
        <shifted display="image:img/pgup.png" action="pageup" />
        <default display="image:img/shift.png" action="modifier:shift" />
        <default display="image:img/ctrl.png" action="modifier:ctrl" />
        <default display="image:img/alt.png" action="modifier:alt" />
        <default display="image:img/sym1.png" action="modifier:mod1" />
        <default display="image:img/sym2.png" action="modifier:mod2" />
        <default display="image:img/left.png" action="left" />
        <shifted display="image:img/home.png" action="home" />
        <default display="image:img/down.png" action="down" />
        <shifted display="image:img/pgdn.png" action="pagedown" />
        <default display="image:img/right.png" action="right" />
        <shifted display="image:img/end.png" action="end" />
Quote:
Midnight Commander now works from KUAL - without the initial screen distortion!
The problem was probably with proper terminfo missing on Paperwhites. Now I provide bundled copy with kterm 2.

Quote:
The rotation setting is persistent across sessions. Where is it being stored? There's no entry in 'kterm.conf'.
The rotation is stored in kindle framework, not in kterm. I just call /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock from kterm. So if you set kterm to landscape mode and quit, your books will open in landscape too.

I just discovered a bug. Kterm ignores option to start with hidden keyboard. I will have to provide a bugfix for that.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator