Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #76
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I had a scare with my Nook Tablet. I had installed CM10.1 on it and I read somewhere that it won't charge unless the tablet is turned on (screen can be off). I let the battery go dead (after 24 hours and no use) and when I tried to turn it back on, it kept trying to start. It would display the message about waiting 15 minutes for the battery to charge, shut off and then turn on again. It kept looping for about an hour no matter what I tried. It finally shut completely off and I got it to charge enough to turn in back on. Then I put it back to stock. I'll be giving that one to my sister when I see her next month. She's less techie than you, so I don't want her to have to mess with anything not working. Since it's back to stock, the battery has lasted four days so far and has only gone down one notch.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #77
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Yeah, it seemed like CM 10.1 was really doing a number on the battery life, even when i left the wifi turned off. I think it must have been frequently rebooting itself and getting stuck in the endless loop, drawing a lot of power. I'm definitely holding off awhile before trying that again.
so far I'm happy enough with the rooted HD, since I can use Playstore and Amazon apps. If hadn't been able to do this, I would have probably returned the Nook and gotten a different tablet, since the Nook app store is so pitifully empty.

I did run into a problem last night but it probably has more to do with my using Firefox's mobile browser for android than the Nook itself. I was trying to watch a video from pbs and it wouldn't play. I really dislike Nook's native browser (is it Chrome?) so I was hoping to use FF, but maybe just for this.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #78
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The world is trying to get rid of Flash and so is Android. So, good luck with that.

One thing to be aware of with a rooted Nook. I had registered my Nook to my home email account. When I installed Google Play, I had to enter my account info. So, I used my GMail account info from my phone. I assumed if I made a purchase in the Google Play store it would use the credentials I had to enter to start Google Play. Nope! It created a new Google account using my home email. The game I bought, I can't install on my phone now because it's a different account. And I can't move it to my GMail account either.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #79
Jack Schmidling
Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Sigil Problems with Nook

I got here following the link from Sigil but seem to be lost now.

I have a Nook Tab with N2A Gingerbread and have none of the problems the folks with JB have.

However, I am having trouble editing epub and then loading them into the Nook. In fact, if I only load an epub into sigil and then save it and transfer to Nook/N2A it will not run it.

All I want to do is eliminate the Gutenberg rubbish at the end of their epubs so I know when I get to the end of a book without trying to figure out where it really ends.

Sigil is a Gutenburg product so I would think it would know how to deal with it's own epubs.

Any help?

js

Last edited by Jack Schmidling; 01-25-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Jack Schmidling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #80
kevinp
Fanatic

Sigil is a Gutenburg product? Don't confuse the GNU Public License with Gutenburg.

Anyway, you could look at the files inside the epub to make sure the formatting is correct after Sigil saves it, but you'll need to know a little HTML.

What you can try is to download and install Calibre and do an epub to epub conversion.
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #81
Jack Schmidling
Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Sigil is a Gutenburg product? Don't confuse the GNU Public License with Gutenburg.
Sorry... misread the link... Google Project no Gutenburg.

>Anyway, you could look at the files inside the epub to make sure the formatting is correct after Sigil saves it, but you'll need to know a little HTML.

When doing the check in Sigil there were so many errors I didn't feel like dealing with it.

>What you can try is to download and install Calibre and do an epub to epub conversion.

Doing that now. Didn't know about it.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack Schmidling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #82
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The world is trying to get rid of Flash and so is Android. So, good luck with that.

One thing to be aware of with a rooted Nook. I had registered my Nook to my home email account. When I installed Google Play, I had to enter my account info. So, I used my GMail account info from my phone. I assumed if I made a purchase in the Google Play store it would use the credentials I had to enter to start Google Play. Nope! It created a new Google account using my home email. The game I bought, I can't install on my phone now because it's a different account. And I can't move it to my GMail account either.
Hmm, I don't think it did that with mine. I registered my Nook with my home email (not a gmail addy) and already had a Gmail address that I'd used to make my Google account for my phone. When I go to google play now on the rooted Nook, it shows all the things I've downloaded to my phone as being available to my tablet and vice versa. I even had my ds's old Nook tablet with n2a using that gmail account and all his junk is there too. Not sure what I did differently than yours.
Except everything I've downloaded from the Playstore has been free stuff, so I've never added a credit card to my account. The few things I've purchased I've done through the Amazon app store since I already had that set up for payment anyway. Maybe if I tried to buy something through Play it would make me set up a new account?
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #83
kevinp
Fanatic

All the stuff from my phone was there on my Nook also, but the first time I bought something from the rooted Nook, it went to that different account--just that purchase.