Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
lermure
lermure began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Problem with kobo touch with missing space with italic

Hi,

I have a problem with kobo touch since 1 year. They are never corrected this bug.

I using the last version 2.3.1, and i still have the problem.

I have try to contact Kobo but they they ignore my emails!

So here the problem, i have see on the net many having the same issue, but i dont see anything that resolv my problem.

When i read epub book, any book, some time i see missing space right afther a italic char. Its always after a word in italic. But not to each italic words. Its seam to be random.

Somebody have experience this problem and solve it?

My kobo is config in french. For now i never try using english. I should try that too!
thanks have a nice day.
lermure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe this has to do with the markup in the book itself as opposed to the unit.

What book (or books) are you seeing this in? What format are they (Kobo ePub or ePub)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've seen the same effect in some books depending on the spacing width. The letters leaning to the right make it appear that there's no space between the italics and the next word. However whenever I'd open up the book in Sigil to correct it, I discovered there always was a space there. It's just harder to see because of the italics leaning into the space. I don't believe it's a Kobo problem at all, but maybe the font or spacing choice.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
lermure
lermure began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi,

I always use epub format, not Kobo epub.. I didnt use kobo store because i have not see many french books there that im interrested to read.

All my books have this behvior.

There is a software i can use to edit epub code? I never try to edit this type of file. With a editor maybe i will be able to figur out what is missing in the file.

Actually, i read games of thrones series, in french. So fare all those game of throne that i read have this problem on kobo. But i have also read many other books with the same problem.

I have also try many fonts. all do the sames. i will redo a check on all fonts. Its original fonts of version 2.3.1 that i use. I took finaly the font where the italics are in bold. so i can see more easily the difference between two word that is stick.

Last edited by lermure; 02-01-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: adding somnething about fontsc
lermure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If the book is DRM-free, you can open it in Sigil and find the italics and see what is causing it. Sigil is free and there's a very active forum here if you run into any problems. If there's DRM on the book, you'll have to remove that first to make edits (Google Apprentice Alf).

I just about guarantee you're going to see there is a space there, it's just the illusion of no space because of the italics leaning into the space, as I've noticed on many books before.

You might try changing from full justification to only left justification to see if the spacing doesn't even out somewhat.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert