Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #151
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I downloaded the sample and skimmed it. Doesn't look like $18 worth of book for me. Too full of expletives in the 0.2M of text, and the subject matter seems to be not up my alley.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #152
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Oh, ok. I guess that $8.55 is just the price in India... everywhere else it's $18 and up (too expensive)
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #153
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
Oh, ok. I guess that $8.55 is just the price in India... everywhere else it's $18 and up (too expensive)
I know only the price in India, might be again different somewhere else.
But still, don't you think it's outrageous
1. the price difference between India and US for a kindle version
2. the price difference for Indian customers who own Kindle and the ones that have a reader which doesn't read kindle files?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #154
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
India Kindle prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
But still, don't you think it's outrageous
1. the price difference between India and US for a kindle version
2. the price difference for Indian customers who own Kindle and the ones that have a reader which doesn't read kindle files?
Is it a publisher price or is Amazon the one doing the discounting? Which website sells epubs in India?

I also noticed a few other books for a lot less than in the USA (India price / USA price)
Winter of the World $4.01 / $19.99
The Perks of Being a Wallflower $3.35 / $9.99
Fifty Shades of Grey $4.05 / $9.99
Beautiful Disaster $4.10 / $7.99
Divergent $3.70 / $6.56
Atlas Shrugged $4.29 / $12.99
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days) $1.69 / $2.99
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #155
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
$18? I'm sorry but that's outrageous and indefensible. No digital file is worth that much, one may as well just buy the hardcover for $20.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #156
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I won't buy one at that price. I was looking forward to see her endeavor into other fiction, but there are numerous other things in my TBR pile. i can do without her book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #157
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's now #1 in both Amazon and B&N's top 100's and also #1 on Kobo now as well so it appears to be selling pretty well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #158
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I still would love to know where they get the figures to say that any particular book is
#1 on any particular list. What versions of the book are they talking about, etc.? I can't see an ebook costing that much money to be #1 no matter who the author.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #159
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
Is it a publisher price or is Amazon the one doing the discounting? Which website sells epubs in India?
The lower price in India is Amazon's price.
As for epubs, you can buy epub from Kobo no matter where in the world you live...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #160
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I still would love to know where they get the figures to say that any particular book is
#1 on any particular list. What versions of the book are they talking about, etc.? I can't see an ebook costing that much money to be #1 no matter who the author.
This is Amazon's Top 100 Kindle books, paid and free:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-K...ZEPBBWYR427JVK

Are you saying you think Amazon is lying about the sales figures? This is a highly-anticipated book, and the ebook is still cheaper than the hardcover (although I have heard you can get the hardcover for less at Target). I'm not saying that they SHOULD charge this much for the ebook, I'm just saying that I do think people are paying it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #161
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I agree, how can a book that has been out been for a little more that a day be on the top seller list? Seems to me you have to sell alot of books over time to beat some of the current stalwarths on the list. This is strictly a marketing gimmick to facilitate even more sales. One can only possible say its the top seller for the last day.

On another note USA Today wasn't terribly enamored with the book, giving it 2 of 4 stars.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #162
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This is Amazon's Top 100 Kindle books, paid and free:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-K...ZEPBBWYR427JVK

Are you saying you think Amazon is lying about the sales figures?
I think Amazon's doing *something* to them... it says it's got 19 days in the top 100.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #163
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I wonder how many of them were simply pre-orders from people who knew nothing else about the book than that JKR wrote it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #164
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
$18? I'm sorry but that's outrageous and indefensible. No digital file is worth that much, one may as well just buy the hardcover for $20.
That doesn't matter to me. I am buying the story not the medium. Yes, you get some dead trees if you get the hard cover... but that's not what I am paying for when I buy a book (story).

As someone else said, we have several copies of Deathly Hallows (and some other HP books) because no one in the family wanted to wait. I think they were around $10-$12 each.

I do want to read this book but I will wait until the price is down to $10 or less. Plenty of other books to read in the mean time.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #165
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Several friends of mine purchased the ebook. I asked them about the price and both said it was more convenient and less expensive than buying the hard copy of the book.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote