Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
gothaam
gothaam began at the beginning.

Device: none
best tablet for college/ebooks/textbooks

Hi this is my first post here and I need some help plese I need a tablet that I can use for college I was looking at the eee pad transformer (which I can get from newegg now with the keyboard dock and a case for 499) I need one that has a good app for textbooks (most likely Kindle app or nook app) I was looking into the nook color too which looks cool but seems too small and I dont want to be limited to one in case it doesnt have all the books i need and then theres the issue of buying now or waiting a bit for quad cores to come out which for the transfomer is supposed to be october (rumors? fact?) I need as much help as I can thank you in advance. (sorry for the rant)

oops didnt see this ok heres the form

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
around 500-550
2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
yes if it works
3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
slate
4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?•Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
US
6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
Non
7. How many hours battery life do you require?
Up to 7 hours
8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
word processing and ebooks/textbooks (would rather take notes in a book)
9. Do you have an OS preference?
non
10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
dont kno about this one
10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
no

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?•XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
any

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
no

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
either
4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
yes capacitive

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
no

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
not an issue
2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
no
3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
no

Misc
1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
no apple

(it sounds like Im leaning towards an android)

Last edited by gothaam; 10-25-2011 at 02:34 AM.
gothaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPad 2 would do very nicely for that you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
word processing and ebooks/textbooks (would rather take notes in a book)
You could go with an Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock. Many other Android tab will let you use an external keyboard (USB or Blue tooth), but the KB dock in the Asus has and extra battery.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Thumbs up

iPad 2

Below is what I use in addition to the iPad for any typing intensive activity when I'm on the road. They work great together.

Apple Wireless Keyboard(already have it for my mac, so i just take it with me when I need it): http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC184LL-...d_bxgy_e_img_b
Incase Origami Workstation for iPad 2 and iPad: http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Origami...9566437&sr=8-3
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
iPad 2

Below is what I use in addition to the iPad for any typing intensive activity when I'm on the road. They work great together.
Very nice setup.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaam View Post
Hi this is my first post here and I need some help plese I need a tablet that I can use for college I was looking at the eee pad transformer (which I can get from newegg now with the keyboard dock and a case for 499)
When my niece graduated I looked into buying her a tablet or a computer. At the time all tablets cost $500, Transformer was not out yet but was initially targeted at selling for $500.

I ended up buying her an Acer laptop for $400. If this device will be your primary device I say you stick with a PC/laptop. I know college has changed much from my days, but from I recall there is still a lot of typing and printing. Tablets just don't have good word processors nor print drivers. Eventually that will change but not today. They also have bigger monitors so it will be easier on the eyes for those long hours.

>>>>> If you just want something small to carry around for classes and will use this to suppliment your PC then tablest are an excellent choice.

Quote:
I need one that has a good app for textbooks (most likely Kindle app or nook app) I was looking into the nook color too which looks cool but seems too small and I dont want to be limited to one in case it doesnt have all the books i need
The nook is a great device. I have one and is the reason why I have not bought a tablet this year. My nook is rooted and I use it primarily for reading non-fiction books (mobi/epub/PDF). For that I ROMed the device and installed CM7(Android 2.3). That has made the device an excellent tablet at only $250. Today you can get one cheaper. It can handle all of the items you listed with no problems. It is small but it suites my need as I want portability.

The slate transformer has 8hrs of battery. The docking station provides 7-8hrs more. That gives you a total of 15hrs. If you can get the transformer and doc for $500 I say go for it.

Quote:

and then theres the issue of buying now or waiting a bit for quad cores to come out which for the transfomer is supposed to be october (rumors? fact?) I need as much help as I can thank you in advance. (sorry for the rant)

Yes there will be a new transformer coming out the end of this year. It will be a quad core Tegra (Tegra3). And will have a thinner design.

My take is there is always something better around the corner so you will always have buyers remosre. So buy what you need not what you desire and move on.

Last point Lenovo has made two 10" tablet K1 and business class. It has a pen and uses OCR to convert your notes to text. For college I really wish I had a Lenovo. It also has a docking station but not as integrated as the Transformer.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Since it's in your price range, I'd go with the Transformer. It's a little more expensive than the netbooks, but it gives you the option of detaching the keyboard and just using the tablet. It comes loaded with Polaris Office. With Polaris, I can create, open, and edit PowerPoint, Excel, and Word documents. Polaris lacks all of the features of Office, but the basics are there. It also has an HDMI out, so you have the option of attaching it to a larger monitor. I agree with you that anything smaller than 10" is just too small for your purposes.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote