Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tablet vs TreeMag - Babies prefer tablet

There is some creative editing of the video but shows the interactivity of a tablet compared to a magazine.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/...-ipad-2583883/
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
There is some creative editing of the video but shows the interactivity of a tablet compared to a magazine.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/...-ipad-2583883/
Yeah, the article is really exaggerated. Firstly, this is no "whiz kid." I mean, she's 1. She gets that tapping and pinching does stuff on an iPad, but clearly has no idea what. It's not like she was playing Angry Birds.

She is also used to those actions. Chances are, her dad gives her an iPad instead of physical printed material most of the time. Of course she tries to perform the same actions on it. She's a baby. She's not going to sit there and evaluate whether paper is physically capable of responding to touch.

But she gets how to flip the pages. She sees how to work a magazine.

Still, it'll be really interesting to see how this gen grows up. Most of the older folks consider my gen "digital natives," and I guess we are - I could type on a keyboard before I could handwrite legibly, and I remember my dad patching Doom for me to make all the monsters Barnie when I was a toddler. I've been on computers since I was a wee child.

But not like this. You couldn't carry around computers when I was a toddler. I still grew up with physical books (although my digital nativeness shines through - I never liked physical books as much as I like my ereader, and I'm sure the ereader's conformity to my otherwise digital life is the reason why). The internet was still mostly the domain of uber-geeks, not normal people.

I'm a digital native, but her generation are internet natives. That's a whole 'nother ball game, and strange to even imagine.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I'm not sure what the point of that article was.

Was it to show that this kid is really tech-savvy? Because she's not. She's just a kid who knows that touching stuff on this bright object does stuff. Was it to show that magazines are dying out? That might be true, but the video doesn't do a great job of illustrating it. Again, she's a baby. A kid who was a few years older and somewhat capable of cognitive reasoning would work better. Like if Dad gives 5-year-old Timmy a print book for the first time and he goes, "What's the point of this? Where's my iPad?"

And the author of that article doesn't even bother to provide any personal opinions and insights into the video, either. He just posts a video on the page, and that's it. Like he's sharing something with friends on Facebook. Lazy ass.

I used to be a regular visitor to Yahoo! and even had it as my homepage, so I could see the latest headlines and things. I stopped a long time ago when I kept getting increasingly irritated with the shoddy "journalism" on display there. It's not really even journalism; Yahoo! just pays people to pen poorly written blogs, and for some reason they feature them as if this was somehow providing valuable contribution to consumers. I can't believe some of these people actually get paid, at all. I've seen tweets that were better written than the various Yahoo! blogs.

Anyway, that's the end of this rant.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
And the author of that article doesn't even bother to provide any personal opinions and insights into the video, either.
Why, that's not true at all! She provides maybe as many of 10 sentences of mostly incoherent gushing, including using "adorable" several times in a row. </sarcasm>

Personal opinions on cute factor do not a child prodigy make. People seem very prone to falling for that particular fallacy when there's a baby involved for some reason.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
This is like teaching kids about the operation of a car before teaching them about the concept of the wheel.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the point of that article was.
We practice Agile development at work and my group tries to do a stand-up every morning. Two of my co-workers come from far away and with traffic - there arrival is always +/- about twenty minutes. My uber-boss was going on a rant about how wonderful his iPad and Apple in general was. To distract him from my late co-workers I tossed back at him that people who carry around tablets are like television watchers. Any idiot can use one and they consume content by others rather than creating anything useful. He was still frothing at the mouth and did not comment when the late arrivals joined the group.

Then - "Baby can use an iPad but not a magazine" video showed up later that day.

You have to understand - I love my two macbooks and my android tablet so I am not a Luddite. The video just supported me teasing my boss. He is actually a pretty good guy but very ... passionate.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Please refer to Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age on how this will play out.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The point to the video isn't how precocious or cute the toddler is. It is about how technology is reprogramming our expectations for what media should do. As another commentary on this, please see the following comedy sketch on a monk who is trying to switch from scrolls to books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cd7B...e_gdata_player
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
My baby prefers to hear me sing Lonely Island tunes. Can't get him interested in much else.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
... or perhaps we should ask what that suggests about those users for whom bling subverts content ...
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Cats also seem to like iPads. My cat Beanie has never turned the page in a magazine. http://www.gizmag.com/ipad-cat-apps/19656/
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
Earlier this year I spent half an hour on a bus behind a woman and a baby this same age. She had given the baby her iphone to play with. It was kind of fascinating to observe. The girl obviously had the skill to tap and pinch and the mental development to realize that those motions made things happen but wasn't yet at the point to understand which apps made which things happen. The half hour was spent opening and closing apps over and over and getting frustrated that it wasn't doing whatever she wanted. I wonder what age children learn to identify certain colors and shapes have meanings?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
FatDog
Witless protection Agent

Quote:
I wonder what age children learn to identify certain colors and shapes have meanings?
Years ago when the mouse first appeared they tried to let kids use them. Children under about .... 6 years old did not get the concept that when they moved the mouse - something happened on the screen. But a tablet with a touch-screen is intuitive. "I touch it - it does something. I put it in my mouth and Mom does something."
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I would like to see a comparison, using that kid, between an iPad and a mess of finger paints. I wonder which would fascinate her more....
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Besides that, iPads are better than treemags for teething. Paper get all mushy and nasty when you drool all over it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote