Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #1306
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
And of course, the ability to use ADE on the device, so that one can borrow books from public librarys directly to the device when needed, for example, when travelling etc. As now I can only download the ascm file, but not the book itself
It's coming. When? We don't know yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #1307
Claudio75
Claudio75 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I would like to have the free-hand drawing functionalities that are present in the sony reader.
In my opinion ia very usefull if you want to use your reader for studing purpose because you can circle, make arrows,...

Claudio
Claudio75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #1308
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi, Ive ordered a Kobo Glo HD to replace my broken Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, from everything Ive read here it seems to be the best of the non-Kindles.

A couple of questions though:

1. I had a mod on the Nook that meant the screensaver was the cover of the book I was currently reading, so when the device powered off after 5 minutes inactivity it would be displaying the current books cover instead of the generic Nook one, is this possible on the Glo HD somehow? (Not a dealbreaker).

2. Can I read the blurbs from all my books even free ones? On the Nook you could only read the blurbs of books you'd purchased from Barnes and Nobles store, everything else was just blank no matter if you applied the metadat in Calibre or anything like that, which all my Epubs have...
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #1309
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
1. I had a mod on the Nook that meant the screensaver was the cover of the book I was currently reading, so when the device powered off after 5 minutes inactivity it would be displaying the current books cover instead of the generic Nook one, is this possible on the Glo HD somehow? (Not a dealbreaker).

2. Can I read the blurbs from all my books even free ones? On the Nook you could only read the blurbs of books you'd purchased from Barnes and Nobles store, everything else was just blank no matter if you applied the metadat in Calibre or anything like that, which all my Epubs have...
I can't speak to that specific model, but based on all the earlier models:

1. Yes, quite easily, without a mod.
2. Depends on how complete the book's metadata is.

I sideload most of my H2O's content, and one of the steps I take before doing so is to make sure that the <dc:description> field in the book's OPF file is properly filled out. That's where the Kobo pulls the blurb from. If the field's empty or absent, no blurb on the device. This is true for all standard EPUBs, but "KOBO EPUB" books (downloaded via synching with the Kobo store) may be different.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #1310
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I can't speak to that specific model, but based on all the earlier models:

1. Yes, quite easily, without a mod.
2. Depends on how complete the book's metadata is.

I sideload most of my H2O's content, and one of the steps I take before doing so is to make sure that the <dc:description> field in the book's OPF file is properly filled out. That's where the Kobo pulls the blurb from. If the field's empty or absent, no blurb on the device. This is true for all standard EPUBs, but "KOBO EPUB" books (downloaded via synching with the Kobo store) may be different.
1. Great to hear, thanks, its the only way Ive found to actually remember what Ive read, what Im currently reading and the authors name a few months down the line, well I remember the Steinbecks and the Salingers etc but in between the classics I read an awful lot of popular sci-fi/fantasy and it was all starting to blur together in my head, seeing the cover whenever I reach for the device cured this ebook disease.

2. Thats great aswell thanks, all my opf files seem to be filled out from a quick glance in Notepad, a lot of extra HTML code or whatever it is in there aswell though, whole paragraphs of it in some cases, example:

Quote:
<dc:description>&lt;p class="description"&gt;After 20 years, Jon Shannow, the legendary Jerusalem Man, returns for a
Again not a dealbreaker if the Glo HD displays that aswell, Ill stil be able to figure out what Im reading.

Thanks Rev. Bob!
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #1311
Thargor
Connoisseur

Just realised Im in the wrong thread, sorry mods.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #1312
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
1. Great to hear, thanks, its the only way Ive found to actually remember what Ive read, what Im currently reading and the authors name a few months down the line, well I remember the Steinbecks and the Salingers etc but in between the classics I read an awful lot of popular sci-fi/fantasy and it was all starting to blur together in my head, seeing the cover whenever I reach for the device cured this ebook disease.

2. Thats great aswell thanks, all my opf files seem to be filled out from a quick glance in Notepad, a lot of extra HTML code or whatever it is in there aswell though, whole paragraphs of it in some cases, example:

Again not a dealbreaker if the Glo HD displays that aswell, Ill stil be able to figure out what Im reading.
The Kobo devices will render the HTML when it is displayed. There's a screenshot of the details screen here. What is displayed as the synopsis is from the description in the OPF.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #1313
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
When adding a books to a collection, I would like the same books to be shown that are shown when looking at books. For example: in Books I have 60 books listed, but when I go to add books to a collection, 120 books are listed; I only want to see the 60 books that are in Books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #1314
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When adding a books to a collection, I would like the same books to be shown that are shown when looking at books. For example: in Books I have 60 books listed, but when I go to add books to a collection, 120 books are listed; I only want to see the 60 books that are in Books.
I don't see that. The "Add books to collections" list shows all the books in the library plus the previews. For me, the previews add about two pages of books. Does that mean you have 60 previews? Or are there other books?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #1315
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't see that. The "Add books to collections" list shows all the books in the library plus the previews. For me, the previews add about two pages of books. Does that mean you have 60 previews? Or are there other books?
In library settings, I have "Only show downloaded items" checked. I have no previews. My Library shows ~60 books (all sideloaded). When I go to collections, pick a collection, pick Manage Collection, then pick Add Books: ~120 books are listed. I believe the additional ~60 are in the cloud.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #1316
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
In library settings, I have "Only show downloaded items" checked. I have no previews. My Library shows ~60 books (all sideloaded). When I go to collections, pick a collection, pick Manage Collection, then pick Add Books: ~120 books are listed. I believe the additional ~60 are in the cloud.
I wonder if he's seeing the same thing I was seeing when I had database corruption. Ghost books were showing up in collections that had no title, had a "download" button, and couldn't be deleted.

One way to create this would be to back up the database, delete some books, and restore the database. Another (less deterministic) way would be to repeatedly reset the device (with the paperclip) and add and delete books in between (and hope your database doesn't get corrupted in worse ways).
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #1317
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, that makes sense. I normally download all the books. I've just removed a couple of pages worth and tested with the option on and off. And yes, the non-downloaded books are shown no matter what the setting.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #1318
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
I'd like for Kobo to fix the dropcaps settings in the Kobo Glo HD & Kobo Aura H2O.

They were perfect on the Kobo Glo (and I checked on the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2 which renders them also perfectly), but somehow the dropcaps of the same books are too high on both the Glo HD and the Aura H2O.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #1319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
I'd like for Kobo to fix the dropcaps settings in the Kobo Glo HD & Kobo Aura H2O.

They were perfect on the Kobo Glo (and I checked on the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2 which renders them also perfectly), but somehow the dropcaps of the same books are too high on both the Glo HD and the Aura H2O.
There is nothing wrong with dropcaps. Dropcaps isdepended on a number of things such as the font, settings line line height, font size, the dropcap code, etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #1320
TNT_69
TNT_69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 905C
Any one to help me to get a Kobo Touch 2.0 SD image? Thx in advance.
TNT_69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo