Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
vs T1

What's new???

As the web still lacks reviews, I would definetely encourage at least someone to move away from the T2 long thread below and compare what is changed between T2 and T1 to give advice who wants to buy.

Facebook + Evernote

no audio/mp3

few grams lighter ( no compatibility with previous T1 accessory)

the screen is a little whiter

doubled battery

same hardware

possibility to (theorically) update ( I am still waiting android 4 for my samsung since ages for instance)

Other characteristics? menu? browsers? etc
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Good time to buy a T1?

I just wanted to start a similar thread, asking whether, at this point, it'd be better to go with a T1 or a T2, but I guess that discussion would fit just as well into this one.

I currently don't have a reader (well, I have a Nook, but that will be returned).
I tried the Kobo, and I liked its form-factor, but the page changing was too erratic.
So I got the Nook, figuring the side buttons would be more reliable, but found them to be pretty useless, as the soft-spots are too small, and they require WAY too much pressure. So—now, with the justification for the wide bezel gone, I miss the slimness of the Kobo.
Which leaves the Sony as my last option...

With most retailers switching to the T2 sooner or later, I'm sure there will be good deals available for the T1 pretty soon.
So—is there any reason for a new buyer to wait for the T2, when you can get the T1 for significantly less? (Battery life is not an issue, as I will never be away from a power source for more than a few weeks, and I'm somewhat partial to the audio capability, as I don't have any other MP3-player, and might use it for the occasional audio book).

The buttons on the T2 seem a bit gimmicky, and I wonder if they work as well as the old ones. And is the screen quality noticeably better, or is it just a very marginal upgrade?
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
it would also be great if someone who has both could put some pictures up comparing screen whiteness etc
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
it would also be great if someone who has both could put some pictures up comparing screen whiteness etc
Agree, i'm very interesting in it...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
With most retailers switching to the T2 sooner or later, I'm sure there will be good deals available for the T1 pretty soon.
So—is there any reason for a new buyer to wait for the T2, when you can get the T1 for significantly less?
Reasons to get a T1
  • More hack/tweak options, including rooting UPDATE: The T2 can now be rooted. Prior to this, I would have said rooting was the biggest advantage the T1 had over the T2. But this is no longer the case.
  • Audio
  • Discount prices???

T1 Cautions:
  • Italics/bold bug: The T1's stock firmware will not render italics/bold properly unless you use the "Original" font. If you select one of the other fonts in the menu list, italics/bold are inconsistent. The only way to get around this is with user hacks/tweaks/rooting.
  • Shiny bezel causes reflection/glare which is bothersome to some people.

Reasons to get a T2
  • Noticeably whiter/brighter display with sharper text. Not everyone agrees with this, but when I compared my T1 to three T2s, the T2s looked white, whereas my T1 looked gray. The text on the T2s was also sharper and darker. It seems screen quality may depend on the individual units being used for the comparison and the eye of the beholder. To my eyes, the improvement of the T2 over the T1 is significant.
  • Noticeably faster page-turns with less flashing; option to turn off refresh with every page turn (I didn't notice any ghosting, but others have).
  • Matte Black model has no glare/reflection from bezel.
  • Evernote functionality allows you to download notes and web clippings to the T2 and upload notes, annotations and highlights to your computer and smartphone.
  • Italics/bold display properly in all fonts (i.e., the T1 italic/bold bug is fixed).

T2 Cautions:
  • No audio
  • U.S. version only has 6 dictionaries: Oxford American, Oxford English, English-French, French-English, English-Spanish, Spanish-English. However, according to post #226 in this thread, the European version has the same 12 dictionaries as the T1: New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary of English, Oxford EN-ES & ES-EN, Oxford-Hachette EN-FR & FR-EN, Collins EN-DE & DE-EN, Collins EN-IT & IT-EN, Van Dale EN-NL & NL-EN
  • No rooting option (yet?) UPDATE: The T2 can now be rooted.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 10-10-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: updated info
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Here is a link to the post which has picture of T1 and T2 side by side with owner's opinion... Looks like "noticeably whiter/brighter" is a bit off...

Last edited by rupor; 08-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Nice find rupor. Not a huge difference, but the T2's display does look a little 'cleaner' to me, so a slight improvement. Which makes sense since there's been no change to the screen itself.

Edited to add: Costs £10 less than the T1 did here in the UK at £119 (although it's a pre-order and only states it "will be delivered when available").

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The T2 does indeed look a bit brighter, but it seems to be brighter overall, not just the background, which doesn't really gain anything as far as contrast is concerned.

Here's a cropped part from the comparison mentioned above, and I actually find the T1 easier to read, as it's not quite as washed out as the T2:

Last edited by Frescard; 08-28-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Autodelivery - which we have been told works on the T2 - is a huge one for me.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Here is a link to the post which has picture of T1 and T2 side by side with owner's opinion... Looks like "noticeably whiter/brighter" is a bit off...
FWIW, I make that statement after seeing an actual T2 and T1 side-by-side. I'm not basing it on a photo, review or tech specs. When I saw an actual T2 in person and put an actual T1 next to it, the difference I saw was noticeable.

However, it is possible that the T2 I saw was unusually white or the T1 I have is unusually gray.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Edited to add: Costs £10 less than the T1 did here in the UK at £119 (although it's a pre-order and only states it "will be delivered when available").
I was in the Sony Centre in Shrewsbury today where they have a T2 on display (I had a play with it). When I asked, they told me it would be available on the 2nd of September
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Compared with kindle touch.

Last edited by ersott; 08-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Too much JPG compression makes the photo worthless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
ersott
Evangelist

I tried to fix it but I'm afraid I've ruined more ... :-(
Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I was in the Sony Centre in Shrewsbury today where they have a T2 on display (I had a play with it). When I asked, they told me it would be available on the 2nd of September
Sony Centres, not being in fact anything to do with Sony Corp, but a stand-alone seller of Sony stuff, have often been ....... mistaken ...... with Sony info. But, they could have got it right this time - but don't bet your house on it.
And tardy with after-sales....
And not cheap.
And with a history of ....unhelpful .... info about the kit they want to sell to you. [ I speak from personal experience, as well as third party accounts.]

Which kind of helps explain why an awful lot of them are no longer in existence.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 08-28-2012 at 06:35 PM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote