Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #46
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
AZARDI 8.2 is now available. This is a CSS display bug fix release as per the above discussed items. The next time you open / close / open AZARDI the update will be applied assuming you give enough time for the download.

Thank you again for the help. I am even learning to use Sigil (sort of).
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't know what's up for sure, but the "a-christmas-carol2_post-Sigil.epub" I attached to post #41 is still ignoring the CSS (paragraph styling, drop caps, etc...) using AZARDI 8.2. I see no difference. I even went as far as to completely remove AZARDI (every bit of it ) and download and install 8.2 fresh. No luck. It just doesn't properly display ANY ePub2 I've built (with regard to CSS).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we get a mod to change the topic? Azardi is no longer a complete ePub editing suite like it used to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #49
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't know what's up for sure, but the "a-christmas-carol2_post-Sigil.epub" I attached to post #41 is still ignoring the CSS (paragraph styling, drop caps, etc...) using AZARDI 8.2. I see no difference. I even went as far as to completely remove AZARDI (every bit of it ) and download and install 8.2 fresh. No luck. It just doesn't properly display ANY ePub2 I've built (with regard to CSS).
FWIW AZARDI 11 still has the same problem...

Edit: on further testing, using AZARDI 8.2, and preventing it from updating at all, the CSS included in the epub (i.e. a css file in OEBPS/Styles) does work; however if I leave it open long enough it updates to AZARDI 11.x, and the bug manifests again.

Last edited by Ahmad Samir; 05-26-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #50
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Tinkering with Azardi 11, and comparing chrome/content/js/core/epub_loader.js from 8.2 with the one from 11.x, the attached patch seems to fix the issue for me. I don't know if it has any undesirable side effects or not, since I don't know much about javascript, I just copy/pasted that bit from the file in the 8.2 .deb.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fix-external-stylesheet-loading.txt (522 Bytes, 960 views)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #51
robbycharters
robbycharters began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I find that AZARDI doesn't read the ePub 2 CSS class for re-flowing text around sidebars and left/right aligned illustrations. The sidebar simply appears as a paragraph of its own. Is this a bug, or will all old ePub files need to be rewritten?
robbycharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #52
robbycharters
robbycharters began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardigp View Post
Got the files. Thanks. We are taking a look to see if we can solve the mystery and will get back ASAP. We are also in the middle of an AZARDI Online and AZARDI Web App reader so all this type of input is received with thanks.

I wouldn't mind a few more books that are not derivatives of ours as well if anyone can supply.

If you could supply a Calibre built sample or two that would be great. We don't use these apps so it is a bit time consuming to go through the learning curve and I think it is better to take samples from other creators. It's a big world out there.
Here is one I built with Sigil for the purpose of showcasing various styles for possible clients. It has drop caps, CSS formatted chapter headings, a right aligned sidebar and a left aligned photograph -- none of which render properly in AVARDI. Also, it doesn't recognise the cover graphic.

See what you can make of it...

thank you...cheers
Attached Files
File Type: epub robbys_e_books_the_resume_charters_robby.epub (2.42 MB, 1241 views)
robbycharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #53
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbycharters View Post
I find that AZARDI doesn't read the ePub 2 CSS class for re-flowing text around sidebars and left/right aligned illustrations. The sidebar simply appears as a paragraph of its own. Is this a bug, or will all old ePub files need to be rewritten?
The two ePub versions should be read by an ePub 3 reader. If not then it is a bug IMHO. The specifications for ePub 3 indicate that ePub 2 should be supported including the TOC.ncx file, even though this is not used on epub 3. The standard to be followed is defined in the OPF as shown in the example below. You might want to check you OPF file and ensure it says version 2.0 or 2.01

<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" version="3.0" xml:lang="en">

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #54
Ahmad Samir
Zealot

IINM, it looks like the css issue (where Azardi doesn't load style sheets from OEBPS/Styles/*.css) has been fixed in Azardi 11.3; it came through the auto-update (just leave Azardi 11.x running long enough and make sure you have an active internet connection).
Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
IINM, it looks like the css issue (where Azardi doesn't load style sheets from OEBPS/Styles/*.css) has been fixed in Azardi 11.3; it came through the auto-update (just leave Azardi 11.x running long enough and make sure you have an active internet connection).
Much better! It still won't allow me to import another stylesheet from within the main stylesheet using something like "@import url(../Styles/styles2.css);" but it's a damn-sight better than it was.

I never understood in the first place, why a reading system would try to assume where the CSS stylesheet was located (or should be located) in the overall epub structure -- I mean, doesn't the xhtml clearly indicate exactly where it is? Why guess/assume at all?

EDIT: it seems to be ignoring inline css, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #56
Ahmad Samir
Zealot

In chrome/content/xsl/ncx-to-li_conversion.xsl, docAuthor should be filtered out too:
<!-- Remove Head and DocTitle -->
<xsl:template match="head | docTitle"></xsl:template>

since some EPUBs have a docAuthor entry in the .ncx, the Author's name appears in the top left hand corner on every single page while reading an EPUB.

Last edited by Ahmad Samir; 08-02-2012 at 04:08 AM.