Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #16
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
... ordered the PRS-900 from Best Buy this past Saturday. It's not set to arrive before January 15th since they are on back-order. Every time I learn a little bit more about the PRS-900, I feel more confident I made the right choice ...
I'm in the same position as you, I ordered mine on the 30th from Best Buy and now have to wait 2 weeks

I did a lot of research prior to ordering and was pretty close to getting a nook at one point until I heard about the 900. I made myself wait until there were some actual hands on reviews before ordering, and the only upsetting thing is that I made myself wait - all the reviews have been good so now I can't wait to get it!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'm in the same position as you, I ordered mine on the 30th from Best Buy and now have to wait 2 weeks

I did a lot of research prior to ordering and was pretty close to getting a nook at one point until I heard about the 900. I made myself wait until there were some actual hands on reviews before ordering, and the only upsetting thing is that I made myself wait - all the reviews have been good so now I can't wait to get it!!
Don't hold your breath!

My ladyfriend ordered one from Sony for me for Christmas during the first week of December. It's not here yet.

Oh well.
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
Hi mgmueller
i tried this question on a different thread but it wasn't picked up.
I would assume the 900 also comes to europe soon,
from the pictures in the manual it seems the simcard is replaceable, can you confirm this?
As far as I'm aware the PRS 900 uses bands 850 and 1900 MHz for wireless, whilst most of Europe uses 900 and 1800 MHz, so even you manage to unlock it, it wont work in Europe.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post

I'll get my nook beginning of February. If you can wait that long, I'll compare Sony 900 against it.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Another person has tried to put the Sim card in another device and it's blocked; I believe they got an error message about inserting correct card.
I don't get that error message. I just can't get any connection. Briefly (1 to 2 seconds) it shows the "3G" sign, so it obviously tries to connect...
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'll get my nook beginning of February. If you can wait that long, I'll compare Sony 900 against it.
Maybe B&N will have had time to fix some of the glaring design issues with the nook by then (in the software... the hardware design is fine) and make it a fair fight. Right now, I'd wager the 900 beats the nook hands down.

I almost bought a nook, my friend has a nook, and while there are things to like about it, it is definitely a rev A product and lacks the polish that Sony has in their software UI.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Maybe B&N will have had time to fix some of the glaring design issues with the nook by then (in the software... the hardware design is fine) and make it a fair fight. Right now, I'd wager the 900 beats the nook hands down.

I almost bought a nook, my friend has a nook, and while there are things to like about it, it is definitely a rev A product and lacks the polish that Sony has in their software UI.
I'm back to work today and a co-worker came over with their Nook to show me (I introduced everyone of them to ebook readers in Dec 2007 when I purchased the Sony PRS-505). It's funny she always seems interested in learning about my readers, in fact she use to ask a lot of questions about my Kindle 2 (which is now ugly according to her ). She had a few problems with her Nook, which she called glitches but sound like problems to me. Then got defensive when I told her I would never hold the line for more then 15 minutes to talk to customer service (she waited 55 minutes to speak to someone); sorry that Nook would have been returned with a quickness. She was telling me about the problems, sorry uh I mean glitches she encountered with her Nook and asking me if my K2 and Sony PRS-505 were the same; I was like NO, in fact my K2 & 505 has worked perfectly from the start. I told her I can't think of any software issue with Amazon but there's a screen fade problem in the sun that was widely reported and those afflicted with that problem can get exchanges immediately (B&N told her to wait for next update when she ask for exchange). I told her my PRS-505 has had no problems but the Sony Library software can be a nightmare for some. I hope B&N gets it right soon because the Nook is really pretty, even more so in person (even though with the 'glitches' I would never buy it because of B&N customer service).

Last edited by Lilly; 01-05-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

i'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading from a PRS-505 to the 900.

Is the 900 noticeably larger than the 505 when used to read (technical) PDF in the landscape mode? Especially with the crop margin enabled.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Picture of Sony 900, 600 and 300 to compare measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewandy View Post
i'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading from a PRS-505 to the 900.

Is the 900 noticeably larger than the 505 when used to read (technical) PDF in the landscape mode? Especially with the crop margin enabled.
To me, Sony 505 still is one of the most advanced readers in the market. It's far from being obsolete or outdated. So I don't see any need for a replacement.
If you think about a touchscreen unit and consider this an upgrade, Sony 900 is a great choice, highly recommendable. But Sony 600 more or less is equal, Sony 900 to me only is a minor improvement, not a quantum leap.

Sony 900 isn't noticeably larger. I didn't compare measurements before ordering, but I've expected it being bigger (but on the downside have been worried about being more bulky). That's not an issue for me, but if it's a criteria for example iRex may be worth considering (my absolute favorite for PDFs).

Sony 900 is a great unit. So far, there's only a single minor disappointment: I've expected a bit more of landscape mode. 2-page-view did seem very promising, but I couldn't make any use of it yet. For the books I've tried, it's not too helpful (not enough information vs. readability).
Nearly forgot the 2nd issue (refuse to call it "negative", love my Sony units too much for that): Zoom still only is valid for a single page in PDFs, whereas iRex does remember it for the entire document.

Attached: Sony 300, 600 and 900 comparing sizes.
Sorry, couldn't get a better picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07587.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	42623  

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Lots of details and reviews about Sony 900

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/12/2...eview-roundup/
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=35512

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #26
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
thanks mgmueller,
with regards to the landscape mode,
i saw also pictures where there was only one page/collumn in this mode,
isn't possible in landscape mode to turn off the two page view?
it is not very clear in the documentation.
rene
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #27
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
thanks mgmueller,
rene
Yes you can.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #28
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
wow

from all i read seems sony did a great job,
i'am now eagerly waiting for the international release )
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
wow

from all i read seems sony did a great job,
i'am now eagerly waiting for the international release )
I'm eagerly awaiting my preorder!
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
thanks mgmueller,
rene
Single column view is the standard one. You can switch to 2 columns and back manually.
If you go to landscape and single column, the column width in my opinion is too wide. It's not convenient in that width. Can be done for some text passages, but I wouldn't read an entire book that way. But of course it depends on your source material. If you're into the casual read, your Stephen King or James Patterson in my opinion is absolutely fine on Cybook Opus for example, I don't see the need for a bigger unit. If you need technical documents, the bigger the better. But than iRex with its smart zoom feature has tons of advantages in my opinion.

Tags
glare, sony 300, sony 505, sony 600, sony 900