Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Summarising the recommendations I've had (Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era):

Screen: the Sage has an 8" (1920x1440) screen, all the others are 7" (1680x1264), same as the Oasis.

Storage: all 32GB, except for the Era (64GB).

Connectivity: all USB-C, instead of the awkward micro-USB on the Oasis.

Battery: 1200mAH (Sage), 1500 (Libra 2), 1700 (Era), compared to 1300 on the Oasis.

Price: a quick search shows $240 for the Sage and the Era, $170 for the Libra (as opposed to about $300 for the Oasis 32GB without annoying ads).

So the Libra wins on price, the Era wins on storage, the Sage wins on screen size...
The Sage also wins on processing power (it's noticeably faster than the Libra). Kobo readers (Sage and Libra) win on Calibre integration and customization options. Pocketbooks have even poorer native reading application than Kindles do, so I wouldn't buy a Pocketbook unless I was prepared to use a third-party app (KOReader, for example). YMMV, obviously.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-07-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #32
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Sage also wins on processing power (it's noticeably faster than the Libra). Kobo readers (Sage and Libra) win on Calibre integration and customization options. Pocketbooks have even poorer native reading application than Kindles do, so I wouldn't buy a Pocketbook unless I was prepared to use a third-party app (KOReader, for example). YMMV, obviously.
The storage win on the Era is not significant -- I have between 5000 and 6000 epubs, plus some (much bigger) PDFs, so 8GB is too small but 32GB is still comfortable. It looks like it's gonna be a Kobo.

I wonder why they went for a lower-capacity battery on the Sage than the Libra, though?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #33
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
I wonder why they went for a lower-capacity battery on the Sage than the Libra, though?
I was just asking myself the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok
Not sure I understand, as Calibre just has tags, which I use for my genres (among other things).
I was alluding to Calibre's ability to create custom columns to store all kinds of arbitrary metadata. Sometimes people use a separate field from their tags to store genre information. Some people use hierarchical genre info, or hierarchical tags, or both. And you can put all kinds of other stuff in there too. If you're not already familiar with custom columns then they, particularly in combination with templates (and “columns built from other columns”), are very powerful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok
It looks like it's gonna be a Kobo.
Good luck with your decision and your new reader!
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #34
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Check out https://www.youtube.com/c/MyDeepGuide/videos for in depth reviews, if you haven't already, to make sure the device you intend to buy will fill your needs out of the box.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:39 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The storage win on the Era is not significant -- I have between 5000 and 6000 epubs, plus some (much bigger) PDFs, so 8GB is too small but 32GB is still comfortable. It looks like it's gonna be a Kobo.

Space? Weight? Budget? But I was using a Libra (original) and switched to a Sage and don't have a problem with battery life. I currently have original Libra, Libra2, Sage and Elipsa. One grandson has a Kobo H2O original, one grandson a Libra original, one granddaughter a Sage, one a Nia and there are maybe six other non-Kobo ereaders in the immediate family. I have still got a Kindle DXG & KK3 (with new batteries) and 2 x PW3 in the house (one was Wife's then she got Libra and now delighted with a Sage, though never does notes on it).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 09:12 PM   #36
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Connectivity: all USB-C, instead of the awkward micro-USB on the Oasis.
Watch out. Most things have gone to Type C, but all Type C is not USB 3.0+.
The latest Barnes & Noble 6" is Type C and USB 2.0
Ok, some people may not care.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:00 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Watch out. Most things have gone to Type C, but all Type C is not USB 3.0+.
The latest Barnes & Noble 6" is Type C and USB 2.0
Ok, some people may not care.
I have a Canon 70D DSLR with a really fast SD card. Its mini-USB (not even micro), is faster than anything else I have, even a USB-B 3.0 SATA HDD adaptor with a 3.5" 7200 rpm disk. USB-C, USB-B or micro-USB.

Ereaders are all pretty slow, though the Sage is the fastest with Calibre. The MTP devices, even with USB-C, are the slowest.

Summary

The kind of USB connector tells you nothing about the speed.

Ethernet achieves 1000 GBps by using parallel transfer on 4 pairs at the same time each at 250 Mbps. USB only uses one pair for data (USB-C extra signalling pair is used for power configuration and optionally there are pairs with Video). Also USB only transmits or receives, half-duplex. The 1Gbps ethernet full duplex transmits and receives at the same time using echo cancellation and hybrid techniques.

USB was developed for keyboard, mouse and joystick etc and has been gradually tinkered with. It beat the superior firewire in the market as it's royalty free and fireware has a royalty. Firewire can run peer-to-peer and do networking, storage or streaming. The original version can be faster in the real world than USB 3.0.

USB is a mess.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2023 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:35 AM   #38
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
USB only uses one pair for data ...
Sorry, that's just wrong.
USB 3.0 is full duplex using two pairs, 5 Gb/sec
USB 3.1 is full duplex using two pairs, 5 Gb/sec, 10 Gb/sec
USB 3.2 is full duplex using four pairs, 10 Gb/sec, 20 Gb/sec
That's x10, x20, x40 faster than USB 2.0 HS.

Last edited by Renate; 02-08-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #39
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a Canon 70D DSLR with a really fast SD card. Its mini-USB (not even micro), is faster than anything else I have, even a USB-B 3.0 SATA HDD adaptor with a 3.5" 7200 rpm disk. USB-C, USB-B or micro-USB.

Ereaders are all pretty slow, though the Sage is the fastest with Calibre. The MTP devices, even with USB-C, are the slowest.

Summary

The kind of USB connector tells you nothing about the speed.

Ethernet achieves 1000 GBps by using parallel transfer on 4 pairs at the same time each at 250 Mbps. USB only uses one pair for data (USB-C extra signalling pair is used for power configuration and optionally there are pairs with Video). Also USB only transmits or receives, half-duplex. The 1Gbps ethernet full duplex transmits and receives at the same time using echo cancellation and hybrid techniques.

USB was developed for keyboard, mouse and joystick etc and has been gradually tinkered with. It beat the superior firewire in the market as it's royalty free and fireware has a royalty. Firewire can run peer-to-peer and do networking, storage or streaming. The original version can be faster in the real world than USB 3.0.

USB is a mess.
You must not have any decent USB 3 devices if a camera with USB 2 is the fastest. These days you can easily get USB SSDs that can get pretty damn close to the 5gbps or 10gbps max.

As Renate mentioned, USB C does not guarantee USB 3. My phone uses USB C but it's only 2.0 so transferring files is very slow. My Boox eReaders though use USB 3 and when combined with a USB 3.0 cable transfers run at that speed. Even with the slight overhead of MTP it's way faster than a mass storage USB 2.0 eReader like a Kobo.

And the connector can tell you about speed sometimes. There is no USB 3 USB mini, and USB micro that supports 3.0 has a weird sidecar thing and USB-B for 3.0 has an extra growth as well. Only A and C are particularly confusing.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 02-08-2023 at 06:43 AM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:46 AM   #40
Renate
Wizard

I happened to be reading War and Peace (in German).
It takes less than a tenth of a second to transfer it.
Code:
->    1,792,013  2023-02-05 19:39  Krieg.epub - 0.093
Old 02-08-2023, 07:35 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Calibre transfer is pretty slow anyway. So those lightning speeds only really matter to people who don't use Calibre to transfer their books. For me, using Calibre is far more important than transfer speed. I can wait for a few minutes to transfer a couple hundred books via Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #42
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
In case you haven't seen it, there are actual reading/charging time numbers on the Sage here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...92&postcount=1

Roughly speaking, 9 hours of reading, 2 hours to charge (measured across 2 Sages a year apart with at least 3 different chargers and cables).

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 02-08-2023 at 09:42 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Though Sage is about 45 to 50 minutes with a compatible charger. I don't what that might be except that's the time my Lenovo Yoga Tab charger does. The USB-C port on PC and any other charger is very much slower, likely only 500mA, rather than the 1.5A it can use.

I get more than 9 hours reading, but I don't use front light, wifi or BT.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I happened to be reading War and Peace (in German).
It takes less than a tenth of a second to transfer it.
Code:
->    1,792,013  2023-02-05 19:39  Krieg.epub - 0.093
Which OS, copy command, and copy direction?

OS with buffering show command completion before actual copy conpletion. Clue is how long an eject takes after command completion.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:04 PM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You must not have any decent USB 3 devices if a camera with USB 2 is the fastest. These days you can easily get USB SSDs that can get pretty damn close to the 5gbps or 10gbps max.
I don't have a USB SSD. I don't see the point of them for backup.

My point is that the connector used is almost unrelated to the USB speed version and something can have a USB 3.0 spec but not achieve as fast as a super fast SD Card on a USB 2.x speed due the nature of the device.

You can even have USB-C connector and less than USB 2.0 speeds.

Also the full speed of USB 3.0 isn't possible even with SSD to SSD, because that's the speed of the interface, there is the USB protocol overhead and the fact all USB is half-duplex.

No eink Ereader is going to get close to the limit of USB 2.0 speed. The kind of port has no effect. USB-C is used now because it's the standard for phones, tablets and similar gadgets, especially in EU and countries that use EU standards. USB-C isn't about faster transfer or even faster charging on ereaders.

Edit:
Some details on USB 3.x
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

An enterprise class NVMe over USB3.x to a high end NVMe PCIe SSD in decent computer is about the only thing that will approach USB 3.x speeds. Irrelevant to ereaders. You don't USB-C connectors. It's possible on USB-A to extended micro-USB connector or extended USB-B connector. A regular micro-USB cable will work, but slower.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Tags
e-ink