Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2023, 12:25 PM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
32GB e-ink reader recommendations?

I have a 32GB Kindle Oasis whose battery now needs charging at least once a day. so I'm planning to replace it quite soon. I have a lot of books, so I need a 32GB device, but the Kindle interface doesn't lend itself to managing several thousand books. I keep my master copies as epubs in Calibre, and convert to AZW3 for uploading to the Kindle, so I'm not particularly format-sensitive.

I'm looking for a recommendation for another 32GB device I can consider instead, with definitely an e-ink display but preferably a nicer UI than the Kindle (genre tagging support would be particularly welcome, also being able to browse a list of authors rather than a list of books). Any thoughts?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:49 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Sage or Kobo Libra 2. Both are 32GB and the UI is better than that on the Kindles. You can manage series, collections and metadata automatically via Calibre, browse your library by authors and series and so on. Collections can be set with genre tags, if you want.

Kobo Sage is 8'', Kobo Libra 2 is 7''.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
If you already use Calibre and have your master library there, in my opinion, Kobo devices offer a great experience with it.

The Kobo UI lists books in four different (and separated) views:
- by Title
- by Authors
- by Series
- by Collection (that you can manage automatically with Calibre and its Kobo driver plugins)

Then, within each view, you can filter by status (Read, To Read, Reading, Books Sideloaded, Purchased, Download through Dropbox) and you can order by some other criteria that slightly change from view to view (Alphabetically, Reading Date, Date books have been added, by Author, by Series, etc)

The Libra 2 has 32 GB of storage + buttons, and it is a great device all around

EDIT: I always forget the Sage has 32 GB as well Bigger screen than Libra, worse battery life, pen support to take notes if it's something you need

Last edited by Lys; 02-05-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I keep my master copies as epubs in Calibre
Android device (Boox, Meebook) with Calibre Companion.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:26 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Android device (Boox, Meebook) with Calibre Companion.
The OP should be warned that Calibre Companion is abandonware, its development has been dead for a while now. It may still work on Android, but for how long, no one knows.
Advert
Old 02-05-2023, 01:33 PM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
If you already use Calibre and have your master library there, in my opinion, Kobo devices offer a great experience with it.

The Kobo UI lists books in four different (and separated) views:
- by Title
- by Authors
- by Series
- by Collection (that you can manage automatically with Calibre and its Kobo driver plugins)

Then, within each view, you can filter by status (Read, To Read, Reading, Books Sideloaded, Purchased, Download through Dropbox) and you can order by some other criteria that slightly change from view to view (Alphabetically, Reading Date, Date books have been added, by Author, by Series, etc)

The Libra 2 has 32 GB of storage + buttons, and it is a great device all around

EDIT: I always forget the Sage has 32 GB as well Bigger screen than Libra, worse battery life, pen support to take notes if it's something you need
Thanks. The Sage looks nice.

I had a quick look at the Kobo user manual and I couldn't see anything about the features you list -- just a home screen with a few cover images and links to Overdrive and somewhere else, and search by author or title, and organising by collection -- basically exactly the same features as the Kindle UI (although I display the books as a list, rather than cover images, but the user manual doesn't seem to say anything about what the options are for formatting the home screen).

When you say "by author", is this a list of authors which you can click on/expand to get to books by that author, or just a list of books sorted by author (which is all the Kindle can do)?

Can you somehow create collections automagically from Calibre genres?
Old 02-05-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

When you say "by author", is this a list of authors which you can click on/expand to get to books by that author, or just a list of books sorted by author (which is all the Kindle can do)?
The first.
Quote:
Yes. By using the Kobo driver for Calibre.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #8
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sirtel already answered, but yes: the Kobo behaviour for the author/series/collection view is:

-> list the authors (or the series or the collection) by whatever criteria you want (and filter them by whatever criteria you want)

-> click on the author name (or on the series name, or on the collection name) and you will be directed to the list of books that match your selection (and again you can filter and order the books by whatever criteria you want)

With Calibre you can automagically maintain Series info, Collections structure, and custom subtitles.

If you need/want screenshots, I can take some from my Libra H2O
Old 02-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The first.

Yes. By using the Kobo driver for Calibre.
Looking at the Calibre Kobo driver, it talks about turning series into collections. Will it work equally if you choose tags instead of series (esp. since a book may have multiple tags)?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Yes please!

Would like to see stuff like home screen settings, author list, and anything else you can think of that would impress me.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #11
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Sirtel already answered, but yes: the Kobo behaviour for the author/series/collection view is:

-> list the authors (or the series or the collection) by whatever criteria you want (and filter them by whatever criteria you want)

-> click on the author name (or on the series name, or on the collection name) and you will be directed to the list of books that match your selection (and again you can filter and order the books by whatever criteria you want)

With Calibre you can automagically maintain Series info, Collections structure, and custom subtitles.

Also, is there a "real" user manual somewhere which shows all this stuff, as opposed to the one I found here which makes it look as uninspiring as a Kindle?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:15 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Looking at the Calibre Kobo driver, it talks about turning series into collections. Will it work equally if you choose tags instead of series (esp. since a book may have multiple tags)?
That's obsolete info. Kobo can do series now itself, no need to set up series as collections. And yes, you can choose whatever column you want for collections, including tags.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also, is there a "real" user manual somewhere which shows all this stuff, as opposed to the one I found here which makes it look as uninspiring as a Kindle?
Frankly, I've never read the official Kobo user manual. I switched to Kobo from Kindle in 2019. Most of what I know I've learned from the Kobo forum here.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #14
Lys
Zealot

Quote:
Yes please!

Would like to see stuff like home screen settings, author list, and anything else you can think of that would impress me.
My UI language is in Italian, but it should be understandable enough

1) Home layout can't be changed (afaik). You basically have the top row with the books you are reading, then a section under that links to your books (on the left), and to the last collection/series/author you opened (on the right).
Below that you have two links to the Kobo shop page and the other does change showing different Kobo services (once it linked to something else, but I can't remember, tbh lol)

The footer has quick access to your library, your services over wifi (Shop, Overdrive, Dropbox if it's supported for your device/country), the menu (Altro) to access the configuration for the device, and finally NickelMenu is not something out-of-the-box, but it's a very nice tool you can install and that allows you to access to functionality not available by default on your device (Dropbox for Libra, for example), or to enable in a more quick way functionalities that are available but that requires multiple taps or to play around with the config file (screenshots, custom screensavers if you don't want to display the cover of the book you are reading and so on)

That's all for library management, I think (as you can see, I use as subtitles the # of pages that the Count Page plugin gives me)

And yes, collections can be whatever you want (one or more calibre columns, regular or custom ones), and you can change them whenever you want because the driver has a nice option to delete empty collections
The only limitation I'm aware of is that if you want to use wifi and sync if you have a lot of collections (70+), the sync process can get struck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	143
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	199483   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	137
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	199484   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	128
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	199485   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	118
Size:	1,007.7 KB
ID:	199486   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_007.png
Views:	113
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	199488   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_010.png
Views:	99
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	199489   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_011.png
Views:	101
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	199490   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_013.png
Views:	105
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	199493   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_014.png
Views:	100
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	199494   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_015.png
Views:	102
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	199495   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_018.png
Views:	104
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	199496   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_021.png
Views:	102
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	199497   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_022.png
Views:	100
Size:	599.3 KB
ID:	199498  
Old 02-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #15
Lys
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Frankly, I've never read the official Kobo user manual. I switched to Kobo from Kindle in 2019. Most of what I know I've learned from the Kobo forum here.
That's two of us

Tags
e-ink