Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, NOOK Color.
Question Recommendations for EInk Android Reader with Google Play Store

Greetings!

I've been wanting a EInk Android tablet for reading for a long time. I've recently come across the Boyue Likebook Mars ( https://smile.amazon.com/Likebook-Re...dp/B07H4GF6HD/ ) and I'm curious about people's experiences with it and whether folks would recommend it or something else.

I'll primarily be using this device for reading ePubs in Moon+ Reader Pro, and maybe also some PDFs in Mendeley. I've never had an eink device (eg, Kindle) before, so I'll be transitioning from a regular Android tablet for my reading.

My priorities/preferences:
  • Budget of ~$250 (Likebook Mars is currently $240, thus why I'm considering it).
  • Google Play Store integration (ideally installed when I receive it).
  • Ease of use (eg, decent UI and sufficient RAM, CPU, etc.).
  • Good reading experience in variety of light (eg, night, outdoor sun, etc.).
  • Good battery life. This is of course relative, so I'm interested in people's real-world experiences. I'm following this battery thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315340) so feel free to share battery-related comments there.

I can't find where I read this, but I thought I saw a few comments somewhere about folks having trouble with the included Play Store not recognizing their previous purchases. If so, can anyone tell me if that's been resolved? Are there any issues with downloaded apps automatically updating? I'd like to avoid having to side-load app updates.

Here's the apps I plan to install (just to give you a further sense of how I plan to use the device):
  • Avast (mostly for app locking, because I want to protect apps like Google Drive).
  • Moon+ Reader Pro
  • Google Drive (for getting books to device, syncing reading positions, etc.)
  • FolderSync
  • Mendeley (for PDFs)
  • Pocket (ReadItLater)

I know there's also devices like the BOOX Nova Pro ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L95KPFM/ ), but since I don't care about having a Wacom pen for this device (though I love having that on my main tablet) I'd rather not pay extra for that.

Thoughts, recommendations, etc.? Is the Mars my best option currently, given the above, or are there other devices folks would recommend I consider? Or are there more expensive devices that folks would make a case for being worth the additional cost (in the context of my particular goals)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
readabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have the Likebook Mars and the Nova (not the Pro version). Both are very good, though I find that I use my Nova much more, as I find it just a bit better all around. In fact, I may end up selling my Likebook Mars, as i don't use it. I'd recommend the non-Pro Nova, too, but it may not be available (new) any more. I only see the Pro version sold now.

Recent updates to the Mars have fixed that "Play Store not recognizing previous purchases" problem. I think the Mars would be fine. My only concern has to do with viewing PDFs. Generally, with PDFs, the larger the display, the better. Some PDFs would be fine on the Mars; for others, you'll want a larger display.

That said, I think the Mars will work well for your intended uses.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have the Likebook Mars and the Nova (not the Pro version). Both are very good, though I find that I use my Nova much more, as I find it just a bit better all around. In fact, I may end up selling my Likebook Mars, as i don't use it. I'd recommend the non-Pro Nova, too, but it may not be available (new) any more. I only see the Pro version sold now.
Yeah, I've had trouble finding the Nova (not Pro) too. And any that I've found have been $280 or more (vs the current price of $240 for the Mars). The Nova was only other one that seemed like an equivalent to the Mars.

Quote:
Recent updates to the Mars have fixed that "Play Store not recognizing previous purchases" problem.
That's really good to know -- thanks!

Quote:
I think the Mars would be fine. My only concern has to do with viewing PDFs. Generally, with PDFs, the larger the display, the better. Some PDFs would be fine on the Mars; for others, you'll want a larger display.
Those are fair points. I don't read a ton of PDFs, and I can always fall back to my larger, color tablet if need be. I can't remember for certain, but I think there's no accelerometer in the Mars, correct? So is there a software way of manually switching to landscape orientation (eg, for certain PDFs)?

Quote:
That said, I think the Mars will work well for your intended uses.
Thanks much for your feedback/input!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are free apps, like Rotation Control, that can switch the device to landscape whenever you want. I use Rotation Control!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
readabit
Enthusiast

Quote:
There are free apps, like Rotation Control, that can switch the device to landscape whenever you want. I use Rotation Control!
Great, thanks! I'm curious, is it one of these:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntrol&hl=en_US
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tioncontrolpro

If you (or others) have any Case/Cover suggestions for the Mars I'd be interested to hear them in the below thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315982
I tend to like woven cases (similar to the hemp ones in that thread), but am interested in any interesting/good cases people have come across, including cases for other tablets that also work for the Mars.
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard

The app I use is the first one you have linked in your last post.

A case came with my Mars when I ordered it. Nothing fancy, plastic, but it does the job. I never looked at other cases.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
readabit
Enthusiast

Quote:
The app I use is the first one you have linked in your last post.

A case came with my Mars when I ordered it. Nothing fancy, plastic, but it does the job. I never looked at other cases.
Cool, thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
readabit
Enthusiast

I'm curious, can anyone tell me if the reading stats graph works (ie, displays helpful reading stats) if you are reading in another app (eg, Moon+ Reader Pro) and not the default reading app? And since it looks like the UI has a built-in bookshelf, can you still use that bookshelf and just have the books open in your app of choice (eg, Moon+ Reader)?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by readabit View Post
I'm curious, can anyone tell me if the reading stats graph works (ie, displays helpful reading stats) if you are reading in another app (eg, Moon+ Reader Pro) and not the default reading app? And since it looks like the UI has a built-in bookshelf, can you still use that bookshelf and just have the books open in your app of choice (eg, Moon+ Reader)?
1 - No, the graph is only for stock apps. Other apps wont update the reading stats.
2 - Yes, you can open any file with the application you want, as long as the app is able to handle that specific format.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

If you long press any book in your bookshelf, a window pops up that allows you to choose which app you want to use to read the book with. You can also choose an app as the default one to use whenever you tap that book in the future.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
readabit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
1 - No, the graph is only for stock apps. Other apps wont update the reading stats.
2 - Yes, you can open any file with the application you want, as long as the app is able to handle that specific format.
That makes sense regarding the graph/stats.

Quote:
If you long press any book in your bookshelf, a window pops up that allows you to choose which app you want to use to read the book with. You can also choose an app as the default one to use whenever you tap that book in the future.
Thanks for those confirmations, both of you, regarding being able to open books from the bookshelf in my app of choice!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I'll be the one to rain on your parade. I was also excited to get an Android e-ink device and bought a Boox and now wish I hadn't. The biggest problem as far as Android goes is that all of the apps, except for a few ebook apps, are written for a color screen. When those colors are converted to grayscale for the e-ink screen they typically come out poorly. Here's a photo of my Boox with the play store app open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190508_124329_1.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	171379
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Yeah, that’s a real issue. There are so few e-ink Android devices and users that virtually no one is writing apps for e-ink.
As much as I like the idea of e-ink Android tablets, the reality of all of them I’ve seen could best be described as a disappointment. Top of the list is just how laggy all of them are. For me, with the exception of reading outdoors in sunlight, I’ve gone back to iPads almost totally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
downeaster59
Wizard

I've had an Android e-ink device of some kind for five years now. I'm well aware of those limitations. Because of the limitations of e-ink technology, and because most apps are not designed with e-ink in mind, an Android e-ink device will never fully replace a standard Android color tablet or smartphone.

Furthermore, if you know how to set up Calibre, you can read just about any eBook you want on just about any device you want - Kindle, Kobo, Nook, or whatever.

So, why buy an Android e-ink device?

If, in addition to eBooks, you want (or need) to use certain apps that are primarily about reading (as I do), and, if you find that e-ink is easier on the eyes than most LCD displays (as I do), then, an Android e-ink device makes perfect sense, as it does for me.

As it happens, the apps I want to use on my Android e-ink device (though they weren't designed for e-ink) look fine on e-ink, and the texts themselves look great. That's good enough for me.

Other people will have to make their own call on whether an Android e-ink device meets their needs better than some other device. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
As it happens, the apps I want to use on my Android e-ink device (though they weren't designed for e-ink) look fine on e-ink, and the texts themselves look great. That's good enough for me.
on my Nova, aside the default reader app which i found ok both for epub and pdf,

i frequently use
- pressreader (newspapers offered by my public library)
- perfect viewer (for some b/w comics)
- gmail (long email / newsletters)
- pocket (a bookmark spread on all my devices that i use for saving long articles from websites)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink