Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion Dracula by Bram Stoker (SPOILERS)

So, how did you all like this book. I have to say, I have not read it.

Sorry for starting the thread so late.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not yet finished it to be honest.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not yet finished it to be honest.
I appreciate your honesty.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I appreciate your honesty.

BOb
Thank you. I do plan on trying to get it finished by the 5th of June.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:

BOb
I didn't know that Dracula was the chosen book for May, but I started reading it a week ago by coincidence. I'm halfway by now and hope to finish it the next week.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

BOb
Crap, actually, I was supposed to post it and forgot.

I read Dracula several months ago and really enjoyed it. I liked the epistilary (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) style, it kept me guessing on what would happen next.

I would like to know what stuff in the book about vampires Stoker came up with and what he didn't. I know most of what we think about vampires comes from this book, I'm just not sure what.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I read the book a few weeks ago and then found out is was the May book.

I really enjoyed it - I read "The Historian" by Elisabeth Kostova a couple of years ago but had never read "Dracula". "Dracula" seems to be the original and best version of the story. But I do remember in "The Historian" Kostova talked about lots of sources for the Dracula legends and vampires. Unfortunately it was a while ago so I can't remember much of it now. But I'm sure that he was inspired by folk stories of vampires.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I would like to know what stuff in the book about vampires Stoker came up with and what he didn't. I know most of what we think about vampires comes from this book, I'm just not sure what.
Sheridan Le Fanu's 'Carmilla' was one earlier vampire tale that influenced Stoker.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've gotten 1/2 done with Dracula. It did start off very dry and very slow. But I would say that once you hit chapter 5, it really did pick up and became a lot more enjoyable to read. I am going to finish it before the voting it done for June.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I agree it was slow to start but once you get further in it goes alot faster . I enjoyed the book , it was a reread for me but it was over 25 years ago that I read it . So it was almost a new read .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I finished the book in May and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Finished the book just yesterday.
A bit too oldfashioned to my liking, with brave man and fine ladies.
And a centuries old villan who can be defeated with just one holy wafer isn't to convincing eighter. But all in all an entertaining story. A little slow in the beginning in Transylvania but picking up speed later.
I found the patient Renfield by far the most interesting character in the novel.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 06-11-2009 at 04:08 PM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
"I found the patient Renfield by far the most interesting character in the novel. " I totally agree . He was a great character
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermole View Post
"I found the patient Renfield by far the most interesting character in the novel. " I totally agree . He was a great character
yes he really is!
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you like Renfield, then you might enjoy the movie Love at First Bite. It's a comedy, but a very good take off on Dracula. Arte Johnson plays a really dead on parody of Renfield in the book.