Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Lightbulb Charging the Sony Reader with an EEE

When the reader is plugged into the USB port of a PC, the Connect software must be running on the PC in order to turn on the USB voltage supply to charge the reader. The indication that this is working is the little red light above the power switch on the reader.

I read somewhere that the USB ports on the Asus EEE (tiny Linux laptop) always have the voltage supply turned on when the device is powered up. I decided to try plugging my reader into the EEE's USB to see if the reader's little red charging light would turn on. Sure enough it did. The EEE has no software for the reader, but by downloading books to the EEE and then putting them onto an SD card for the reader, it works fine.

The EEE and the reader thus become good travel companions. I don't have to carry the charger for the reader, nor do I need to carry a Windows laptop.

Last edited by mogui; 06-02-2008 at 08:52 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
When the reader is plugged into the USB port of a PC, the Connect software must be running on the PC in order to turn on the USB voltage supply to charge the reader. The indication that this is working is the little red light above the power switch on the reader.

I read somewhere that the USB ports on the Asus EEE (tiny Linux laptop) always have the voltage supply turned on. I decided to try plugging my reader into the EEE's USB to see if the reader's little red charging light would turn on. Sure enough it did. The EEE has no software for the reader, but by downloading books to the EEE and then putting them onto an SD card for the reader, it works fine.

The EEE and the reader thus become good travel companions. I don't have to carry the charger for the reader, nor do I need to carry a Windows laptop.
In your case it is superflous to tell you but to others who don't know, one can install XP on the EEE. Then you have the perfect reading team.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
What happens when you plug it into a Mac? Just got mine but I have not tried it yet. I have been using my PSP adapter, which works just fine.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
It'd be a lot better if you only had to carry one device. Hopefully some of the new UMPC's will be better geared towards ebook readers.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
This is not the case. I have charged my PRS-500 via USB on PCs that did not have the Sony software or drivers installed and it worked perfectly well.

Also, I have seen users here that have charged their 505's prior to installing any of the software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't have the Sony software installed and I charge my 505 on my pc
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
What happens when you plug it into a Mac? Just got mine but I have not tried it yet. I have been using my PSP adapter, which works just fine.
My 500 will not charge from an iBook. I have never had it charge from a PC without the proper drivers installed. I don't know why, but Sony choose not to load the USB port until it was sure it was a high-power port. It probably says somewhere in the USB spec that you're supposed to do some check. It's not a matter of the voltages being off, the problem (design feature?) is completely within the 500 electronics. I have other devices that give an error message "This port does not have enough power ..." if you plug them into a low-power port. There must be a way to tell. I also think that USB 2.0 ports are always high power, and I presume there is a way to check that as well. Several folks have reported that 505s charge from any USB power source, but I can't confirm that.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My Sony PRS-505 charges quite nicely (and I manually transfer files to it or use Calibre) when connected to my PowerMac G5 here at work.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I just plugged my 505 into my 12" Powerbook G4, which has 1.1 USB slots, and it is also recharging the Reader.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Works fine to charge on both my macmini and my ibook G4 I have currently never used or installed the sony software.

However it will not charge from a USB wall plug!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
The Eee 701 power supply is marginal. If I use my 40GB USB hard disk on my Eee, the battery never charges. I followed several threads on eeeuser.com about the weak power supply. Try it before starting your trip!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
MacBook Air's USB port charges my PRS 500 just fine as well.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Prolet
Prolet began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just a quick info: Charging works very well using a PS3 USB port.
Prolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Seems like it's actually harder to find situations in which it does not work.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote