Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
mogli@home
mogli@home began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
[Solved] Error Messages after editing Metadata

Hi all,

maybe you can help me. Since some days i have a strange problem with calibre. If I add new books (or edit old ones) and make dome chamges in the Metadata (name, author or somethink) and i click o.k. (or next or previous) I got a "Permission denied" error. If I tried 5 or 10 times then it will work.

This is the full error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 99, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2528, in set_title
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 626, in set_path
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1385, in copy_cover_to
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 324, in copy_path_to
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 156, in local_open
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Using Win 7, calibre database is stored on a WHS 2011. It has worked for a year or so before the problem appeared.

Any Idea?

Best regards,
Mogli

Last edited by mogli@home; 02-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.
mogli@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds as if something is interfering with Calibre's library access. The fact you mention retries seem to work suggests it is not a problem with fixed permissions as it is dynamic in some way.

It is worth making sure that the Calibre library folder (and sub-folders) are set to be excluded in your Virus checker. Ebook files are not candidates for viruses, and also it can improve performance. Virus checkers are one component that tends to be updated automatically at regular intervals and that can interfere with the operation of other programs.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
mogli@home

@itimpi

Thanks for your ideas.
I tried by switching of the AV and by exclude the folders and subfolder:

No Change.

Regards,
Mogli
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Putting the calibre library on a NAS is known to cause problems and is specifically not supported. Many NASes cannot correctly deal with calibre's moving folders around when authors or the title change. The fact that it worked for a while was accidental.

See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? for more information.

Last edited by chaley; 02-07-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: change "database" to "library"
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
mogli@home

@chaley

Thanks! This was not the answer i want to hear, but it worked. I have now moved the database to local and make a regular backup.

Again thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mogli
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
I just had the exact same problem after updating calibre. It works fine again after reverting to 0.8.70. Looks like I won't be using version 9
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
I just had the exact same problem after updating calibre. It works fine again after reverting to 0.8.70. Looks like I won't be using version 9
Continuing to use a procedure ( NAS ) that has given you problems means you are running with a 'ticking time bomb' . NAS (and Clouds)are great for some things. A fast sequence of transactions (what Calibre does on a rename) is not one.
All you need is some other system change, to cause another failure.

This said. It is YOUR data
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same problem?

I am suffering from the same errors. I have a server with an eSATA storage system attached to it. While it is network addressed storage it's not like using one of these self-contained no-CPU-having disk boxes which I could see causing problems. I have never had a problem until the most recent version.

The procedure I was using:
I imported a number of books that had the ISBN number in the title field and very little else. Edit metadata - copy/paste number from title to the ID field - click download metadata - click next - select cover and click OK. All looks good. If I click next or OK at the metadata screen I get the error. I click OK on the error and cancel on the metadata screen. Then after a few seconds the title changes to the correct title but nothing else updates. I reopen the edit metadata screen and paste the ID in and download metadata again, click next or OK and error - cancel out. After a few seconds the author changes. About the 3rd or 4th iteration the whole process works.

What concerns me is...even if this is being caused by slow disc access, I clicked CANCEL on the edit metadata screen after it errored yet data is still being modified. Something about that doesn't seem right to me.

Just as a side note - I'd REALLY rather not have to move my 100gb+ library onto non-raided HDD space. Virtually everything I do is on raid-5 disk space or cloud...granted, I do work in I.T. but still...we discourage anyone from storing data locally. I know this may cause a challenge for the developers of this wonderful program but I do hope you can find a way to implement such storage options in the future.
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote