Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Clif
Clif began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
French-French dictionary in iPad Kindle App

The latest Kindle app has added French language localization, which has a cool feature some Anglophones who read French may like -- namely it has a "French-to-French" dictionary, i.e., you can highlight a word in a French text and it will give a definition in French. (The first time you highlight a word in a French text, it will ask permission to download the French dictionary)

I discovered this with a French text I had sideloaded from Gutenberg into the iPad app using the "Open With" feature in FTP-on-the-Go.

Admittedly this is for more advanced readers of French who already have a good working vocabulary. Still, for unrecognized words often a definition in French will suffice for those readers. Very cool. Now if I could get my Kindle itself to do that!
Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clif View Post
The latest Kindle app has added French language localization, which has a cool feature some Anglophones who read French may like -- namely it has a "French-to-French" dictionary, i.e., you can highlight a word in a French text and it will give a definition in French. (The first time you highlight a word in a French text, it will ask permission to download the French dictionary)

I discovered this with a French text I had sideloaded from Gutenberg into the iPad app using the "Open With" feature in FTP-on-the-Go.

Admittedly this is for more advanced readers of French who already have a good working vocabulary. Still, for unrecognized words often a definition in French will suffice for those readers. Very cool. Now if I could get my Kindle itself to do that!
I believe the K4 has dictionaries for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Brit. English, & Braz. Portuguese. What would be interesting is if they are in the archive where older Kindles can download and use them. But I haven't heard reports of this.

The Android app also now supports the same set of languages, but seems still restricted to the English dictionary.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
Does anyone know specifically what foreign language dictionaries Amazon is using (for the iPad Kindle app, etc.)? I know Sony uses for example the Oxford Spanish Dictionary, but what about Amazon?
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote