Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
phoenixo
phoenixo began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Unhappy How do I get the dictionary on my original Kobo

I can't seem to find any info on this online. How do I know what version of software I'm running and how do I upgrade?

I neeeeeed a Dictionary. LOL!

phoenixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Version info is found from Menu | Settings and is shown on the first screen under Device Info.

Remember though that the Kobo dictionary is of limited usage; it only functions within books in Kobo ePub format (ie books downloaded via Kobo Desktop), and also, it is NOT a dictionary you can browse.

I think current firmware for the original Kobo is 1.8.3 or 1.8.4

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo
Keep in mind, last I heard the dictionary only works in books purchased from the Kobo store. There was an SQL database hack to enable the dictionary for the "100 classics" too, but I can't seem to find the link right now.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As long as you have taken the steps on the original Kobo to update the 100 classics using the steps in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82#post1274682 the dictionary should work in them too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Try plugging in your Kobo and downloading say....."The Time Machine" By H.G Wells, once your'e in the book just press menu and the dictionary button will be near or at the top of the menu.

Hope this helped
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dictionary upgrade