Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast
ScoutPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
Collection Organization Issue....Weird

Hey Kindlers,

Here is a screen shot of one of my collections. Its organized by Author but for some reason, one of the authors isn't in the right order (For Example: Dean Koontz in the screen shot attached).

I've gone in to calibre and checked the metadata to make sure that they match. Initially they didn't but I changed them to match. I figured that would fix the problem but as you can see it hasn't. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Thanks ya'll!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-34309.gif
Views:	276
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	62407  

Last edited by ScoutPilot; 12-06-2010 at 07:56 AM.
ScoutPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Do have the author name on both lines (Author and Author Sort) in Calibre as "Koontz, Dean"? That should do the trick to sort by last name first.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast

I just checked in calibre. They match exactly. Any other ideas?

:P
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutPilot View Post
I just checked in calibre. They match exactly. Any other ideas?

:P
Then, do all of the OTHERS match exactly? Because mine don't -- I have the first line as "Dean Koontz," and the second one as "Koontz, Dean" in calibre. When I do an author sort on my kindle they sort by first name. If you have both instances as Koontz, Dean in that Lightning book, it's going to sort that one by the "K." I bet you have the others in calibre like mine are, so they are sorting by the first name, and only that one books isn't.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
The Author field controls how the name is displayed, and the Author Sort field controls how it's sorted. If both fields are "Dean Koontz", then the book will fall alphabetically under "D". if the Author sort is "Koontz, Dean", then it will sort under "K".

In my experience, simply changing the values in Calibre doesn't fix the file's metadata, it only fixes Calibre's database. In order to fix metadata on the file, I've had to convert it (you can convert it to the same format that you started from). For my Sonys, I've edited the device interface plugin in Calibre to feed the Author Sort field to the reader's database, but there's not an equivalent tweak for Kindle.

Last edited by trekchick; 12-07-2010 at 08:39 AM.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Robot Monkey
Robot Monkey has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Incredible, Sony PRS-505
It can be done! I just switched from Sony 505 to Kindle and discovered this combing through calibre's options. Do this:

1. In metadata the Author(s) field should say Dean Koontz (as an example).

2. The Author sort field should say Koontz, Dean. Don't bother typing this in -- clicking the button on the right of this field will populate it for you once the Author(s) field is completed.

3. Check all books for this consistency. I believe that's why it Dean Koontz is sprinkled throughout the list seemingly at random.

4. Now, click Preferences --> Output Options (under "Conversion") --> MOBI Output. Put a check in the box next to next "Use author sort for author".

That's it. When you browse your authors will be in alphabetical order, although they will still be listed FirstName Lastname.

Here's the caveat: Like trekchick points out, I think this only works on books that are converted. So I converted all my books to MOBI even if they were already in MOBI. Not a big deal and hardly time-consuming. Books from the Kindle store already obey this convention.

I *think* the "Automatic management" option in Output might avoid deleting books from the device and resending them, but I didn't explore this.
Robot Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast

Trekchick/Robot Monkey

Thanks for the posts. I'll check it out tonight and report back!