Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Change itunes store

I thought I'd download the ABC app. There are some programs I liked while I was in the US. I found a way to get stuff running (hulu) using a VPN, but hulu recognized my location anyways after some time. ABC didn't, but their internet player didn't install properly on my PC.

Ok, that's the background.
I thoguht that maybe the ABC app runs good on ipad, but itunes is set to my current location. I tried to change this, but then got the message that I would have to spend the rest of my prepaid money first which is in euros. I can do this, but how do I spend my money so I reach 0 Euro??? I assume that after getting some apps I don't really want, there'll still be some Eurocent left over.
I guess using my US bank account may work, but I don't want to share my credit data with apple (which is why I went with the itunes card in the first run).

Any ideas?

Last edited by Mike_73; 07-17-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Create a separate account and transfer the euros?
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
You could create a second iTunes account and switch to that on the iPad.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I thought I'd download the ABC app. There are some programs I liked while I was in the US. I found a way to get stuff running (hulu) using a VPN, but hulu recognized my location anyways after some time. ABC didn't, but their internet player didn't install properly on my PC.

Ok, that's the background.
I thoguht that maybe the ABC app runs good on ipad, but itunes is set to my current location. I tried to change this, but then got the message that I would have to spend the rest of my prepaid money first which is in euros. I can do this, but how do I spend my money so I reach 0 Euro??? I assume that after getting some apps I don't really want, there'll still be some Eurocent left over.
I guess using my US bank account may work, but I don't want to share my credit data with apple (which is why I went with the itunes card in the first run).

Any ideas?
The ABC app runs great on iPad. I'm using it in Germany.
I've got 2 accounts: 1 x Germany, 1 x USA. I'm switching back and forth between both accounts every single day. Having 2 different accounts, you can use different credit cards, gift cards, ....
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
... itunes is set to my current location. I tried to change this, but then got the message that I would have to spend the rest of my prepaid money first which is in euros.
I don't understand this part.

I change from the Canadian to the US iTunes and back on both the iPad itself and my desktop iTunes and I have never seen a message like that. You do have separate user names, addresses, etc., for the two stores don't you?

I do use my real credit card in the Canadian store but the US account I originally set-up without a credit card. If all you want is free apps, that's all you need to do. The simple way to do this is to sign out of your account and switch to the US store anonymously. Now just try to "purchase" a free app. You'll get a new account set-up wizard that includes "no credit card" as an option. If you try to start an account the normal way, the wizard is different and the "no credit card" option is missing.

Once you've done that, if you want to get paid apps from the US store or buy books from the US iBooks store all you need to do is load your US account with either a US iTunes card (the cards are country-specific) or one of those pre-loaded Visa, MC or Amex cards you can buy just about anywhere with different denominations. Just make sure you get one that is usable worldwide. Some of those are also country-limited.

That's all there is to it. Well, except for the small hassle of having to switch back and forth for app updates. Even the free apps that are available in both stores require that you update them from the store you initially got it from. It's a good idea to get anything that is available in your home country from there and only use the US store for things you can only get there like the B&N iPad app, ABC, Hulu, etc.

Hope that helps.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Ok, as far as I understand I create a new itunes account. I assume I use a different e-mail address for that?
I had tried to just change the location of my current account.
So once I have 2 accounts, I just sign in and out as I need. Is that it!?!
Sounds great. I'll try a little later tonight.

Thanks so far.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Quote:
Ok, as far as I understand I create a new itunes account. I assume I use a different e-mail address for that?
I had tried to just change the location of my current account.
So once I have 2 accounts, I just sign in and out as I need. Is that it!?!
Sounds great. I'll try a little later tonight.

Thanks so far.
Yup. You got it. Different email and a US address... I happen to use my sister's but any valid address will work... It's not like Apple ever sends out snail-mail
Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

Well, I still have friends in the US, and I guess that the current residents of our rental house would probably not bother.
What if I would want to buy some "american" apps (are there apps that only show up depending on your store location?). Would I need to get some US itunes cards or would one bought in a German store work too? I would think that apple has some serial numbers on the cards maybe indicating the location???

Thanks again for all the great answers so far.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
Well, I still have friends in the US, and I guess that the current residents of our rental house would probably not bother.
What if I would want to buy some "american" apps (are there apps that only show up depending on your store location?). Would I need to get some US itunes cards or would one bought in a German store work too? I would think that apple has some serial numbers on the cards maybe indicating the location???

Thanks again for all the great answers so far.
iTune cards are country specific. The back of the card under "Terms and Conditions" tells you where the card is valid.

There are very few paid apps that are available only in the US.... matter of fact, the only one I've run accross is the Webber BBQ one... I guess they take their secret sauce recipes very seriously
Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Mike_73
Guru

I have one of those books and find them great. I didn't know that mixing pepsi, ketchup, sugar and such makes such great sauces
Ok, if I should want to run across an app I need to purchase, I will ask my friends to get me an itunes card. At least, with current regional restrictions, e-mail and scratch-off-stuff is a blessing...
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Mike_73
Guru

Well, well. I just try to get a new itunes account. It's asking for my credit card and there doesn't seem to be an option to skip that step.

Any ideas???

Ok, found it. You have to be on the proper region setting and you have to "purchase" a free app. Then you click create new account and then, but only then there's the option "none" as payment option.

Here's the link to the support page from apple if anyone needs.

Last edited by Mike_73; 07-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Hello,

This thread is quite interesting for me and I wonder if someone has found a way to "change stores" from the iBook app ? The idea is to know whether it would be possible to buy "US" books from Europe ?

Thanks...
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Mike_73
Guru

Ok, I'm up and running , Let's see if I get a hulu+account. Yesterday I allready watched some househunters, some Alton Brown cooking... GREAT.
Tonight we made some nice Philly cheese steaks...

For the books, I think as soon as you changed the store location to US, created an account with an US addreaa and have someone buying an american itunes card for you, you should be good to go.
So far I haven't had the need for an itunes card from the US. Allthough the Weber app looks to good as not to have. Great thing is, I'll just have a friend of mine get one at Walmart or Target and then send him a check for my bank account I still have there.
Really great.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Ok, I'm up and running , Let's see if I get a hulu+account. Yesterday I allready watched some househunters, some Alton Brown cooking... GREAT.
Tonight we made some nice Philly cheese steaks...

For the books, I think as soon as you changed the store location to US, created an account with an US addreaa and have someone buying an american itunes card for you, you should be good to go.
So far I haven't had the need for an itunes card from the US. Allthough the Weber app looks to good as not to have. Great thing is, I'll just have a friend of mine get one at Walmart or Target and then send him a check for my bank account I still have there.
Really great.
They sent me an invite for the Hulu Plus Beta today...I may give it a try for a couple months.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #15
Mike_73
Guru

If you received an invite, is there the same process as it was with gmail where you could send invitations as soon as you were in???