Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #1291
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanova View Post
Well I keep it pretty well charged and it looked fine when I turned it on to play with it so I don't know how much sense that makes.
It makes a lot of sense when you consider that the terminal voltage does not indicate storage capacity.

Did you keep it "pretty well charged" all of the time it was "laying around" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanova View Post
How would I test it in diags mode?
Simple, see if it runs.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #1292
ethanova
ethanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, I always caught it before it fully died and charged it back up. Only once or twice did I actually get a low battery message.

Guess I should rephrase, how do I get it in diags mode?
ethanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #1293
mugurd
mugurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi All,
I have been reading forum for few hours. I am little bit confused and overwhelmed with the amount of information. I have a PW. It shows YKNR splash screen. I have tried to wall charge the device for a day. I thought the device is bricked. I have Lİnux Mint 17 Debian release as host. I have downloaded and compiled imx_usb. I have seen mx50_usb_work.conf. I have also seen posts yifanlu's fastboot.I have downloaded,
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PaperWhite/
I am a little bit lost at this point.
Quote:
Jan 19 20:44:42 mm-dl kernel: [133492.383982] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=0004
Jan 19 20:44:42 mm-dl kernel: [133492.383990] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jan 19 20:44:42 mm-dl kernel: [133492.383994] usb 2-1.1: Product: Amazon Kindle
Jan 19 20:44:42 mm-dl kernel: [133492.383997] usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: Amazon
Jan 19 20:44:42 mm-dl kernel: [133492.384001] usb 2-1.1: SerialNumber: B024XXXXXXXX
My first question is:
1-Is mx50_usb_work.conf same for Paperwhite?
KindleTouch
hid,1024,0x70000000,256M,0xF8000000,128K

2- Should I use fastboot and uboot.bin or should imx_usb + diags_kernel.img used?

Thanks for all
mugurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #1294
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mugurd: Unless you have the holy grail and can boot your PW in USB downloader mode, you're on the wrong track. You'll most likley have to open it up and do the recovery over serial instead. (That's if you haven't got the Rescue Pack installed).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #1295
mugurd
mugurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks NiLuJE.
I thought I would be able to upload a new image via imx_usb or fastboot. But I think I have misinterpreted and missed that I should be in USB downloader mode. Can you kindly point me to opening and recovery over serial, since I have not installed Rescue Pack when Kindle was working? Should I do things said in knc1's post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH52 View Post
Ok so I'm a real noob! I've connected an FTDI USB-TTL 3v3 to the serial port. What baud rate, number of bits, parity, etc., should I be setting my terminal program to in order to communicate with the serial port of a PW1?
Actually, the wrong adapter - should be the 1v8 (1.8 volt).

But other people have reported using the 3.3 volt interface levels.
And if any of those other people have destroyed their Kindle interface, they have been ashamed to admit it.

115200,8,N,1 no flow control (neither hardware nor software).
. Thanks again.
mugurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #1296
kinsnik
kinsnik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (nt)
Hi,
I have a Kindle 4 (NT) Black, that is bricked. I've tried charging it for a day or more, but i am not able to make the Kindle enter in fastboot mode. I've tried with MfgTools in Windows 7, with imx_usb_loader in Linux and with Kubric, but the results are always the same: the device (that was recognized as Freescale Semiconductor Inc [15a2:0052] in linux) is disconnected, but nothing is connected.
Is there something that i may do to save my Kindle or should i buy a new one already?
Thanks
kinsnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #1297
sh3va
sh3va began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NT
Hi,
Problem with Kindle 4 NT Silver: no reaction on power button (just green indicator blinks for a while), when trying to reset (press and hold power button till it blinks), device trying to boot after several minutes (screen refeshed several times and still blank).
I've tried to start it in different boot modes with MfgTool: in fastboot I could even flash any partitions (tried all combinations of 4.0, 4.1 including kernels).
When trying to boot ib diags mode, device also refreshes the screen several times, but it became completely black and nothing happens then
Kubrick also stucks at entering diags mode, but with blank (white) screen.

I'm very hope that is still non-hardware problem.
Please help.
Thanks in advance!
sh3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1298
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The K4 models are getting fairly old and that sounds like a classic "dead battery" problem.

What is the results of letting it re-charge on a **known good** wall charger?
Any/All observable changes please.

Note: The K4 is the glued together model, difficult to open, next to impossible to get old battery out without destroying something.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #1299
sh3va

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The K4 models are getting fairly old and that sounds like a classic "dead battery" problem.

What is the results of letting it re-charge on a **known good** wall charger?
Any/All observable changes please.

Note: The K4 is the glued together model, difficult to open, next to impossible to get old battery out without destroying something.
It's just charging with orange led indicator without getting green (I left it for night).
Also I found that in Fastboot mode it getting charge faster, so after night charging on wall cherger, I left it connected to USB and after couple of hours it becomes green.
Now I'm trying fully discharge the battery with LED light on my Kindle case. It lights pretty long, so I'm really doubt that problem in battery.

Update: when it completly discharge, device showing on screen standart picture about empty battery and to connect to electricity.

Update 2: we already opened back cover and get to the battery Yes, we loose two of four plastic latches.

Last edited by sh3va; 03-13-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #1300
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3va View Post
It's just charging with orange led indicator without getting green (I left it for night).
Also I found that in Fastboot mode it getting charge faster, so after night charging on wall cherger, I left it connected to USB and after couple of hours it becomes green.
Now I'm trying fully discharge the battery with LED light on my Kindle case. It lights pretty long, so I'm really doubt that problem in battery.

Update: when it completly discharge, device showing on screen standart picture about empty battery and to connect to electricity.

Update 2: we already opened back cover and get to the battery Yes, we loose two of four plastic latches.
That all sounds like the battery still has enough storage capacity to at least boot the device.

Since you have it open -
Visually inspect the power button assembly for any problems.
A strong magnifying glass will probably help, those are tiny parts.

- - - -

There have been past reports of both the USB connector and the power button failing mechanically on the K4.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #1301
sh3va

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That all sounds like the battery still has enough storage capacity to at least boot the device.

Since you have it open -
Visually inspect the power button assembly for any problems.
A strong magnifying glass will probably help, those are tiny parts.

- - - -

There have been past reports of both the USB connector and the power button failing mechanically on the K4.
Hmm, visually they fine and working properly, but I'll inspect and test them on weekend as you suggested.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:58 AM   #1302
sh3va

So, what I done on this weekend:
1. Battery checked - 4,02 V. I think It's pretty well
2. Carefully looked on power button and USB port - they look well too
3. Tried to take off motherboard to check button and port with tester, but it's glued. I didn't have a dryer to heat it.

Last edited by sh3va; 03-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #1303
siauw
siauw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
@sh3va,
I have same problem as yours
Mine is Kindle 4 NT (silver), I can't get to diags mode.
I use mfgtool to get to fastboot, then flash diags, diags_kernel, main kernel
then when I reboot to diags mode using mfgtool ( because fastboot can't boot to diags mode, I don't know why, always set bootmode to main)
I got screwed up screen when entering diags mode, then it hangs there. I can't access Kindle storage as well.

Is there any hope for my Kindle?
siauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #1304
sh3va

Quote:
Originally Posted by siauw View Post
@sh3va,
I have same problem as yours
Mine is Kindle 4 NT (silver), I can't get to diags mode.
I use mfgtool to get to fastboot, then flash diags, diags_kernel, main kernel
then when I reboot to diags mode using mfgtool ( because fastboot can't boot to diags mode, I don't know why, always set bootmode to main)
I got screwed up screen when entering diags mode, then it hangs there. I can't access Kindle storage as well.

Is there any hope for my Kindle?
As I remember from previous posts (yes, I've read it all ) screwed up screen - this is a diags mode!
My screen is totally black (or blank in case of Kubrick). By the way, did you tried Kubrick in yout case?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #1305
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Whether it's possible to reset "Your Kindle Needs Repair" on PW2?
I.e. if the Kindle-root is accessible, to copy a <recovery>.bin-file with the command and reboot:
Code:
rm -f /var/local/upstart/*.restarts
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking