Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #1126
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm... no. that doesnt sound right.

Fastboot should prevent the usb thingy.

and also... why not do something less radical than flash like...
sudo fastboot getvar bootmode or something....

just check you are connected and everything is sane before you go off writing stuff in an "unknown state"... Kinda dangerous no?

Quote:
imx usb loader with a gui
Hmm I kinda remember this thing. Yeah it worked fine IIRC for me on ubuntu Mint.

why not have the usb connected. reboot the kindle (do your jkey sequence) and then try to connect. then do a sudo fasboot getvar bootmode (or something)

That's a plan, will establish connectivity, then try flash if you get a response.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #1127
bonjurkes
Enthusiast
bonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kİndle Touch v5.3.2
so when is the exact timing of the jkey squence? While kindle is restarting? or while in cover list of books?

edit: can I just downgrade my K5 to 5.1.2 jb it and then update to 5.3.2 to keep jb?

Last edited by bonjurkes; 02-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.
bonjurkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #1128
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get the fastboot from the debricking thead.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #1129
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjurkes View Post
edit: can I just downgrade my K5 to 5.1.2 jb it and then update to 5.3.2 to keep jb?
Yes..
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #1130
bonjurkes
Enthusiast
bonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kİndle Touch v5.3.2
If I manage to find fastboot tool on linux, I guess I will manage to flash some stuff. But links are everywhere and so far I couldn't find the correct one that works under linux
bonjurkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #1131
twobob

I chucked up a total random chance one for you.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205430

That's the one I built for on my system. Lord only knows if it will help.

me@dev ~/GIT/kindlepdfviewer-kual $ readelf -d /usr/bin/fastboot
Quote:
Dynamic section at offset 0x5f28 contains 20 entries:
Tag Type Name/Value
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libc.so.6]
Looks self contained..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #1132
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemckart View Post
as I mentioned to my problem earlier, can connecting my kindle to pc via serial port help me? According to your thought, I will buy serial port equipments.
Plus, the serial port pins on the kindle are so tiny. How should i connect jumpers to them.
wallacemckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #1133
twobob

Quote:
Plus, the serial port pins on the kindle are so tiny. How should i connect jumpers to them.
if you have to ask...
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #1134
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
if you have to ask...
So i am asking
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #1135
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
By finding someone highly skilled in this type of micro-minature soldering, have them make the connections for you.

We have already had one member (who **IS** highly skilled in this type of work) lift the adjacent parts off of the board.

Connecting jumpers to those pads is not a newbie example of soldering, so if you have to ask, you don't have the skill required.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1136
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
By finding someone highly skilled in this type of micro-minature soldering, have them make the connections for you.

We have already had one member (who **IS** highly skilled in this type of work) lift the adjacent parts off of the board.

Connecting jumpers to those pads is not a newbie example of soldering, so if you have to ask, you don't have the skill required.
I see. But in this circumstance my pw is just a rubbish. Shouldn't I give a try?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #1137
twobob

very sticky tape? (an alcohol-based wipe?)
a steady hand, blue tack for the device. and patience?

at least it wont explode

might work for long enough maybe

Last edited by twobob; 02-11-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: maybe, wipe
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #1138
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
very sticky tape? (an alcohol-based wipe?)
a steady hand, blue tack for the device. and patience?

at least it wont explode

might work for long enough maybe
A reasonable point of view thank you.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #1139
twobob

no worries.
careful you don't short anything while you clean and prep. electrons like alcohol just as much as spilled soda
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1140
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The pads pulling off happened during usage, not while soldering. After doing it TWICE, I learned my lesson and solved it two ways:

1) Solder to the pads with fine enamel wire (harvested from the coil inside a dead compact fluorescent light), and solder the other end to your serial cable. The fine enamel wire solders quickly, transferring less heat to the delicate PCB pads. Hint: you do not need to scrape enamel off the wires. It melts off when you tin (presolder) the wires).

2) Stick the enamel wires down to the PCB with tape, fold the wires over the tape, and apply another layer of tape. I spread the wires at the cable connections before applying the second tape layer, to serve as insulation. Then I routed my small serial cable (a strip of 3 adjacent wires taken from an 8-pin UltraIDE cable) out the case opening for the microUSB jack. That serial cable is small enough that I can use both serial and microUSB.

Those steps provide adequate strain relief, even when my kindle slipped off the desk, suspended by the serial cable.

Without strain relief, just moving a kindle a small amount may stress the solder pads enough to lift them.

Of course, too much heat for too long (a noob mistake) can lift delicate PCB pads, so keep the soldering iron temperature down, and do not apply it to the pads longer than necessary. And use strain relief to protect the pads during use.

EDIT: I was given my first soldering iron (i.e. wood burning kit) when I was a young child. It did not take long to repurpose it.

Later, I used an inexpensive Radio Shack soldering pencil, which I connected it to an incandescent lamp dimmer to control the temperature:

Be sure to NOT use a soldering gun on a delicate PCB:

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking