Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Sony Reader e-ink fade in direct sunlight?
Yes, it fades in direct sunlight 59 48.76%
No, it does not fade appreciably in direct sunlight 49 40.50%
Don't know, never tried it 13 10.74%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Does your Sony fade in direct sunlight?

I'm sure this poll has been conducted before, but I can't find it.

I've had probably 7 or 8 Sony Readers go through my hands and all but one has had the sun fade issue. So it seems to me that readers that don't fade in direct sunlight are the exception rather than the rule. But I'm interested in everyone else's experiences.

BTW -- I just bought a PRS-600 that had sun fade, and Sony customer support has been excellent. They are overnighting me a new unit and I have my fingers crossed that it will be sun-fade proof.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I always understood it was only a certain batch or manufacturer that produced those fading screens. Makes sense if that's the case that Sony just automatically replaces them which is nicer than nothing, I guess.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Almost 50-50 so far. After my string of sun-fading units, I should be due for one that doesn't fade, I hope!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've owned four different Sony Reader models at one time or another. I've been lucky as none of them had the screen fade issue, which I think was traced back to a bad batch of LG screens, as banjobama indicated.

I did have the screen issue on a Kindle 2 and had to have it replaced twice before I got one without the fade issue. I think the K2 screen fade issue was also due to the LG screens.

One thing I learned about replacement models from Amazon is that your new K often gets replaced with a refurbished K. I don't know if Sony does this too or not. I finally had to demand that a brand new K replace the second faulty device. I told Amazon not to ship me anymore returned items as they were most likely returned with the same problem I was having. I gave them the ultimatum of giving me a brand new device or refunding my money. They sent a new device and it worked as it was supposed too. So if you keep getting a string of Sonys that have the same problem make sure they ship you a new reader rather than a refurbished one.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
My original PRS-505 did not fade in direct sunlight. When the screen went buggy, I sent it to Sony on warranty, and they sent me a replacement reader. The new reader fades in direct sunlight. I also purchased a backup reader (used) which also faded.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Wow, I knew it happened - it happened to me as well, at first - but I never expected over half of the sample to have this problem. Granted, a small sample, yet it does put into question whether this can be simply dismissed as an occasionally manufacturing defect.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
wolfing
wolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I haven't had mine under direct sunlight, but I'm curious. What 'level of fading' are we talking about? Is it really noticeable? I mean, is it totally obvious or one of those things that it's a big deal to some people and not an issue for others? (like, the reflectiveness of the PRS600, to me it's nothing but to others it's too annoying)
wolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
I haven't had mine under direct sunlight, but I'm curious. What 'level of fading' are we talking about? Is it really noticeable? I mean, is it totally obvious or one of those things that it's a big deal to some people and not an issue for others? (like, the reflectiveness of the PRS600, to me it's nothing but to others it's too annoying)
To the point where the text is unreadable. Severe fading in 15-20 seconds.

I haven't actually tied this, but I think I could blank the screen completely in about 2-3 minutes, under very heavy sunlight.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
My dark blue PRS-505 fades only when it's extremely hot to the touch (135 degrees F/57 C). At 115 deg. F/46 C there's no fade. The Sony manual states an upper operating temperature limit of 95 deg. F/35 C.

So no, I don't consider my PRS-505 to fade in the way that I think others have experienced. My MP3 players typically don't work correctly at such temperatures. When the device feels hot enough to "melt" the letters, then that's something different from the fade we're talking about, I would think.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
How long should I leave it in the sun to properly test this? I got my 600 yesterday and it worked normally when I stuck it out a window, but that was only for a couple of page flips.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Read under the sunlight at the park and my prs-505 is still fine.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine 900 starts fading right away. Within 2 minutes, nothing is left on the screen. NOTHING.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_blackfang View Post
How long should I leave it in the sun to properly test this? I got my 600 yesterday and it worked normally when I stuck it out a window, but that was only for a couple of page flips.
That's all it takes for the fading units. Just a few seconds in the sun.

For those who have fading units within 90 days of purchase -- it is *totally* worth it to call Sony customer support and ask for a replacement unit. I did it, and it was easy, quick (overnight shipping), and the new unit does not fade at all.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post

For those who have fading units within 90 days of purchase -- it is *totally* worth it to call Sony customer support and ask for a replacement unit. I did it, and it was easy, quick (overnight shipping), and the new unit does not fade at all.
I asked for a replacement as well. All it took was a 5 min call. They made no objections and right away agreed on sending me a new unit.

Yet, I was - and still am - away from home. So we settled on me giving them a call when I return to the USA in September. Until then, I will keep using this device. Anyhow, I have no time for the beach, and at least I don't have to worry about scratches, dents or other damage - I am getting a new unit next month...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
tshome
tshome began at the beginning.

Device: PRS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post

My problem is that I only found the issue after 90 days. They replaced the screen, and the new one is even worse!

Check out how unusable this makes it:

Page turned indoors
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page_turned_indoors.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	56144

Page turned in sunlight (overcast day too!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page_turned_sunlight.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	56145

I am surprised at the number of people that think this is acceptable - I have read on many forums that some simply "put up with it - Shade it with their body or a cover whilst turning the page"

How are the manufacturers getting away with this????

The Sony marketing blurb clearly says the following:

New digital book readers from Sony use an innovative E Ink® Vizplex™ screen which means it’s just like reading a paper page. It has high contrast, high resolution and a wide viewing angle. What’s more there’s no backlight and no flickering so it’s gentle on your eyes and YOU CAN READ FOR HOURS EVEN IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

It doesn't say "you can read for hours in direct sunlight as long as you don't turn the page"

The device is simply not fit for the purpose it is advertised for.

These screens should be quality controlled - Surely this comes under the trades descriptions act?

Last edited by tshome; 08-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.
tshome is offline   Reply With Quote