Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #31
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I would like to suggest that we aim for a late afternoon start -- say 4.30 pm.

That would give plenty of time for finding each other and having a chat, and would suit those planning to go to events earlier in the day. Those who are working would be able to join us a little later, and still alllow time to go for a meal, if anyone wants to do that.

(Personally, I've gone off the idea of joining you for a meal, mainly because everything is so horribly crowded during festival time. My suggestion for a late-afternoon meet would still allow plenty of time for those not eating to get together for a chat.)

My other preference would be to make it a weekday, simply because I have so much else to do on weeekends (hill walking, cycling, ....). But that's a personal preference, and I'm happy to fit in with the majority.

I don't have any constraints on dates. There are no festival events that I'm desperate to attend, so I don't need to fit around the programme.

Look forward to hearing any other suggestions.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #32
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Proposed date and time for meet-up

Since no-one else has come up with any definite suggestions, I would like to propose the following details for the meet-up:
Date:
Tuesday 18th August

Time:
4 pm

Place:
Meet in the cafe in the Highland Spiegeltent (on your left as you come in through the main entrance).

Details:
Perhaps aim to stay in the cafe for an hour or so. That would allow people to go to any of the 5.00 or 5.30 events they might be interested in. If anyone wants to go for a meal or drink later, we can perhaps arrange it on the spot.
I hope this will suit the majority of people, and that you don't mind me taking the initiative in this way.

If anyone desperately wants to make it a different date or time, by all means post an alternative here. But please propose something definite, otherwise we'll never get anything sorted.
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #33
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Proposed date and time for meet-up

Since no-one else has come up with any definite suggestions, I would like to propose the following details for the meet-up:

Date:
Tuesday 18th August

Time:
4 pm

Place:
Meet in the cafe in the Highland Spiegeltent (on your left as you come in through the main entrance).

Details:
Perhaps aim to stay in the cafe for an hour or so. That would allow people to go to any of the 5.00 or 5.30 events they might be interested in. If anyone wants to go for a meal or drink later, we can perhaps arrange it on the spot.[/INDENT]
I hope this will suit the majority of people, and that you don't mind me taking the initiative in this way.

If anyone desperately wants to make it a different date or time, by all means post an alternative here. But please propose something definite, otherwise we'll never get anything sorted.
Thanks for taking the initiative; I'm glad someone did! I know they clear the Spiegletent for an evening show, but I don't think they do that until about 6pm.

Unfortunately, I won't be up by that date, but I know that at least some people can't make later dates. So I'll add a second date a week later.

Proposed date and time for a 2nd 2009 EBF meet-up

This is intended to be as well as the Mike L's suggestion.
[INDENT]Date:
Tuesday 25th August

Time:
4 pm; same as for first meeting

Place:
Highland Spiegeltent; same as for the first meeting.

It would be good to know if there are other preferred dates, or if people cannot make those above.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #34
Mike L
Wizard

LazyScot,

I'd be equally happy with the 25th as the 18th. I'll go with the majority.

But I really don't think the 25th should be a second meetup. Let's go for one or the other - not both. So far, only about half a dozen people have expressed an interest, and if we split it over two dates, we'll get hardly anyone at either. At least, that's my humble opinion.

So let's aim for a decision: 18th or 25th? What do other folk think?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #35
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Circumstances are a bit difficult at the moment, so I'm really not trying to be awkward when I say that I can make either date, but either I won't be able to make it there before about 5:30pm any weekday (as per previous post), or else I will be a fairy of leisure and can make any/eitherboth.
I have considered the possibility of taking the afternoon off, but again, that will depend on my employment status and I don't know what that will be on any given date after the 6th August....
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #36
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Circumstances are a bit difficult at the moment, so I'm really not trying to be awkward when I say that I can make either date, but either I won't be able to make it there before about 5:30pm any weekday (as per previous post), or else I will be a fairy of leisure and can make any/eitherboth.
I have considered the possibility of taking the afternoon off, but again, that will depend on my employment status and I don't know what that will be on any given date after the 6th August....
Hmmm. I've got something at 6:30 on the 25th. The 24th I should be free from just gone 5:30pm for a couple of hours. Friday 21st is much the same as the 24th.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi guys,

Thanks for setting up some dates! I've been away for the past couple of weeks and haven't been able to keep up with things here.

Unfortunately school and work will be starting up again on the 18th of August so it will be very difficult for me to get into Edinburgh on a week day. We will be at the festival on the afternoon of Saturday August 22nd and and 29th if anyone is around.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #38
Mike L
Wizard

Given that Mindy and Curly both find weekdays difficult, I will withdraw my objection to a weekend date. If it was a Saturday, it might be better to meet earlier in the afternoon, so as not to impinge on any plans anyone might have for the evening.

What do you all think?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #39
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

I will happily work around any time at the weekend
Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
Mike L
Wizard

OK. let's try this ....

Below are three possible dates (and times) for the meetup.
Tue 18th. 4 pm

Sat 22nd. 2.30 pm

Tue 25th. 4 pm
Would everyone who is definitely interested in attending please reply with one of the following answers for each suggested date:

1. I can definitely make it.

2. Not sure. Or, I can make it at a pinch, but would prefer one of the others.

3. I definitely cannot make it.

I will then collate the answers. The winning date will be the one with most definites (option 1). If there is a tie, I will use option 2 as a tie-breaker.

I know that it will be impossible to find a date that will suit everyone, but we've got to come up with something.

If you agree with this idea, please reply. If you don't ..... well, I won't make any more suggestions (until next year).
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #41
LazyScot
DSil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Tue 18th. 4 pm : 3

Sat 22nd. 2.30 pm : 1

Tue 25th. 4 pm : 1
If you agree with this idea, please reply. If you don't ..... well, I won't make any more suggestions (until next year).
Ahhh; the joys of trying to arrange times....

I think we are still waiting to hear back from pdurrant in his poll....

Thanks for keeping this moving; I know how, ummm, frustrating, it can be.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #42
LazyScot
DSil

*bump*

Any other responses? From the poll, my *guess* is that the 22nd is best, but I'd like it if pdurrant had a chance to respond....
Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #43
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Tue 18th. 4 pm - 2. Not sure. Or, I can make it at a pinch, but would prefer one of the others.

Sat 22nd. 2.30 pm - 1. I can definitely make it.

Tue 25th. 4 pm - 2. Not sure. Or, I can make it at a pinch, but would prefer one of the others.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My dates aren't quite firm yet, but I think I'm likely to be there between around the 15th to 21st, so just missing the 22nd. I should know for sure in the next day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
*bump*

Any other responses? From the poll, my *guess* is that the 22nd is best, but I'd like it if pdurrant had a chance to respond....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #45
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Saturday the 22nd at 2.30 would work perfectly for me. We are seeing Michael Morpurgo at 1.30, so will be free by 2.30.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote