Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Glad you like my site, Curly (actually, I have several websites; I assume you mean Veg World). I can certainly recommend veggie eateries in Edinburgh, but I don't insist on vegetarian food for the book fest meetup (I wouldn't impose my dietary choice on others). It's just that La P'tit Folie is so .... how shall I put it? ... so French.

I'll certainly bring my Kindle. I hope others will bring their own devices so that we can compare notes.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I seem to have posted the same message twice. Hmm, wonder how I delete a message. Try this ....
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #18
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
That's okay, I didn't mean we had to have a vegetarian restaurant for the meetup. But as someone who works near Charlotte Square, could you suggest a couple of places? Since it is festival time, we will need to decide and book well in advance.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Mike L
Wizard

OK, I'll take a look at the local eateries next time I'm near the square, and try to come up with some recommendations. It would help to know what type of restaurant people prefer, and what price range.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #20
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
OK, I'll take a look at the local eateries next time I'm near the square, and try to come up with some recommendations. It would help to know what type of restaurant people prefer, and what price range.
I'd be very happy to hear of alternatives; the closest to a vegetarian in the Centre that I use/know is the Cafe at the National Portait Gallery, but I seem to remember that it is closed at the moment for refurbishment work.

(I agree Folie is very French, but I like that... and my memory is of only a single veggy option.)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #21
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
WANNABURGER!

(although I always did like the name Relish better)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #22
Mike L
Wizard

It would also help to know what time of day we are likely to be meeting, as that would affect the choice of eating.

Although I'm happy to check out the local eateries, and deal with reservations if necessary, let's keep in mind that our main aim is to meet at the book fest. Perhaps we should focus on that to begin with, and worry about the meal when we know who is likely to be turning up.

And don't forget that we can always grab a quick snack in the book festival itself.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
the closest to a vegetarian in the Centre that I use/know is the Cafe at the National Portait Gallery
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Henderson's before now.

http://www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/restaurant.php
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Henderson's before now.
Actually, Curly did mention Hendersons in passing earlier in the thread.

I'd be OK with Hendersons, but keep in mind that it gets impossibly crowded during the festival.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
WANNABURGER!

(although I always did like the name Relish better)
How does that compare with Gourmet Burger Kitchen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It would also help to know what time of day we are likely to be meeting, as that would affect the choice of eating.

Although I'm happy to check out the local eateries, and deal with reservations if necessary, let's keep in mind that our main aim is to meet at the book fest. Perhaps we should focus on that to begin with, and worry about the meal when we know who is likely to be turning up.

And don't forget that we can always grab a quick snack in the book festival itself.
I'm still trying to decide which week I'll be about (and which events I'll try and get tickets for). Either way I'll be there on holiday, so I'll be very flexible about times. Do people think we should avoid normal "working hours" if we meet on a weekday? Also, is there a preference for weekdays or weekends?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Do people think we should avoid normal "working hours" if we meet on a weekday? Also, is there a preference for weekdays or weekends?
Good point. In fact, I'd have a slight preference for daytime on a weekday, if only because there's so much else going on in the evenings and weekends around that time. Especially weekends.

But, of course, if working hours are difficult for others, that's another matter. I'm happy to go with the flow.

Perhaps if anyone's got any particular book fest events they want to tie in with, we should use that as a starting point.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #27
LazyScot
DSil

*bump*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hope to be in Edinburgh at the start of the Fringe/Book/Festival. Something like 11th August to 18th August. So I could probably make a meet-up during that first weekend.
Unfortunately it looks like I'll be up for the second week, probably from about Friday 21st (where we have some in the early afternoon and one in the evening).

Curly, perhaps you need to hold two events, one in each week. If only to try and show the French who has the shortest gap between meetings...

For those interested, a number of events are already sold out (though there are plenty left).
Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
We could certainly go for two meet-ups! Perhaps one afternoon and one evening get-together?

So, how about Sat 15th or Sun 16th August

and

Friday 21st August?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #29
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
OK, I meant to do this last night so it won't be as informative as intended but:
- we've got tickets for Neil Gaiman, and I also want to see Claire Hewitt who's doing one of the kids storytelling sessions on a Sunday, but I can't remember the dates or times for either, so not so helpful at the moment but will get back to you on those, but those are the only things we have planned so far (unfortunately I was too slow for Alexander McCall Smith tickets)
- assuming I'm still employed at that point (which is looking dubious) then I probably won't be able to make a weekday during the day (say any time before about 5:30pm) but evenings and weekends are fine
- I have never been to Gourmet Burger Kitchen before, I imagine it's pretty much the same principle

OK, think that's all the info I have to impart at the moment.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #30
LazyScot
DSil

*bump*

Anyone else interested in attending, who has date or time constraints before we try and propose a date and time (or two....)?