Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
felixblackcat
felixblackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
To try and ascertain which version of the OS you have on your PE. What was the startup home screen like? Did it have two slide buttons near the bottom of the screen where you had to slide the left button to the right to unlock it? If so you have Ermine, if not you have the older Dingo.
I've never seen more than one slide button.
felixblackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
felixblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
the recovery mode is menu/rotate.
I tried this, and it didn't seem to do anything. AIUI, I'm supposed to hold those down during startup, correct?
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
felix, if you have any green slide lock buttons you have Ermine. There is one on the right that doesn't move.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblackcat View Post
I tried this, and it didn't seem to do anything. AIUI, I'm supposed to hold those down during startup, correct?
It won't do anything unless you have an "update.zip" file in either a USB drive or the microSD card.

Actually, that gives me an idea: If you tell me the exact filename (and path) of the offending application, I can give you an "update.zip" file that will remove it (no guarantees that it'll work or not brick the device, though).

Somebody should really program a nice recovery application we could run from a custom "update.zip"... The two biggest issues are that there is no keyboard and we need to access the framebuffer directly, I don't think there is a console anywhere.
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
felixblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
It won't do anything unless you have an "update.zip" file in either a USB drive or the microSD card.

Actually, that gives me an idea: If you tell me the exact filename (and path) of the offending application, I can give you an "update.zip" file that will remove it (no guarantees that it'll work or not brick the device, though).

Somebody should really program a nice recovery application we could run from a custom "update.zip"... The two biggest issues are that there is no keyboard and we need to access the framebuffer directly, I don't think there is a console anywhere.
Well, I don't have that information. I don't think the app is stored on the SD card, either, otherwise I'd be able to just pull that and look at it elsewhere.
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
pablob, i think he is a lost cause.... see when filark is talking about slider on the screen he thinks about the hardware slider power button...
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
felixblackcat

Quote:
pablob, i think he is a lost cause.... see when filark is talking about slider on the screen he thinks about the hardware slider power button...
OK, look. That is completely uncalled for. No, I'm not a programmer, I don't know everything there is to know about this machine. If I did, I wouldn't be here looking for help, OK? I admit I had a misunderstanding before re: the "low lever tools" comment by someone else, but, frankly, I think YOU have now revealed YOURSELF as one of the people I was talking about before with this comment. YOU now seem to me to be someone who is more interested in acting like a superior jerk than actually being helpful. You want to "give up" on me? FINE! GO AWAY! I have no desire to try to put up with that crap. If anyone is actually interested in being helpful, though, I welcome them. See, THIS is why I'm sensitive to this garbage! I've been burned before in other forums by people with such attitudes, so when i try to get some assistance in another one, I'm ALWAYS on my guard to try to slap such attitudes down as soon as I recognize them, because I don't want to deal with the wasted time and the aggravation that would result if I just let it proceed.

If someone comes here looking for help, then, BY DEFINITION, they don't know everything, OK? They're here because they want HELP! So, if you're not interested in helpful, no matter how much knowledge and skill you might have, then you're useless to the person looking for help, and you should go the hell away!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
felixblackcat

Quote:
I am not a @#$%ing idiot, OK? You, however, are a @#$%ing jerk.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
no comment!
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
felixblackcat

Quote:
no comment!
Smart move, because, as you can see, I'm not about to put up with any crap.

Now, anyone else out there, if you are genuinely interested in being helpful, please don't be put off. You are welcome.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
felixblackcat,

As someone mentioned before, the most reliable way to get your PE to working order would be to reflash with a Golden Update (from the understanding I get from reading the thread). But that will make you lose all installed apps and content.

I can't think of other way of getting rid of the offending application than making an update.zip file that will delete it, but you will need to find the proper name of the APK file (it will be most likely in /data/app, if I recall correctly), but you need to somehow make sure you have the correct path to have any chance of that working.

If you can find that info and want to try this route, let me know, although I have something big coming up 10 days from now and I don't think I'll be able to do anything before that.
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote