Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Couple of quetions on the touch

1. How is BN with firmware updates? People love the in store service, but there seem to be complaints on the software side. My main issue is the ghosting, which I observed in store. Of course only in the morning when the sun hits the display. All other times the device is fine. I sort of feel like BN won't address this, but I read outside a good bit in summer.

2. If you make notes while reading, how do you get them off. I assume the BN software has this feature, but one shouldn't make assumptions.

3. Do the page turn buttons loosen with use? They were incredibly stiff in the store every time I tried the nook.

4. Hows the search function for getting around in a book? I am thinking of the bible or a historical book. Is it easy to search while reading for something and zip around? I had trouble testing this in store.

5. I didn't see this, but is the dictionary accessible without reading a book. Can I just go to it and type in a word?
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Prediction is hard, especially about the future.

I'm sure there will be updates. Whether these address any given problem or add any given feature is another question. I would not buy a device with the expectation that any particular problem or deficiency will be addressed, unless there's some sort of official acknowledgment by the company in question.

B&N has a return policy, if it doesn't perform to expectations. I haven't had any problems with ghosting, and have done some full sun reading. I expect there is some variation on individual Nooks. You can always force redraw by tapping the 'nook' button a couple of times.

I have not figured out how to get notes off, or even if they sync to other devices. Not a feature I depend on, but I'm curious how it is supposed to work.

I would not expect the buttons to loosen. Rather I would expect that you will get used to it over time. It's just a matter of working out the proper mechanics. The buttons on my Kindles also took some time to get used to. There are no one-size-fits-all buttons, everybody's hands are different.

Navigation is very very nice, with some caveats: TOC navigation is restricted to top level only. Text search can be a little slow to load up search results (Nook does not build indexes for faster access). It's easy to lose your place. Bookmarks mark the start of a 'logical' page, which typically spreads over more than one screen, so they are not as precise as I would expect, coming from Kindle.

Dictionary is not accessible standalone. You can purchase standalone dictionaries, and search in them, but they can't be used for lookup.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
5. I didn't see this, but is the dictionary accessible without reading a book. Can I just go to it and type in a word?
You used to be able to do this on the Classic Nook. I am hoping that they will return this functionality to the Touch. It seems odd that they removed it.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Prediction is hard, especially about the future.

I'm sure there will be updates. Whether these address any given problem or add any given feature is another question. I would not buy a device with the expectation that any particular problem or deficiency will be addressed, unless there's some sort of official acknowledgment by the company in question.
I don't think I asked the right question. Got off on a ghosting rant. What I wanted to ask was if BN was responsive about releasing firmware updates when problems are found. I have heard they don't, but I don't know whether to believe that. In light that their in store service is praised so much, I find it odd to read about lack of firmware updates.

I wasn't going to buy it with the expectation ghosting would be fixed. Though Kobo fixed it, to bad they still haven't addressed the dictionary issue.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have the both the nook classic and the nook color. The nook classic they have been outstanding in software and firmware updates.
the nook classic has been out for I'd say a year and half? And right now we are on V1.6 technically we are on v1.7 but this one is a bug fix.

It seems they were on an every 3 month schedule for a while. Not all udpates are Major ones but v1.3 and v1.5 were my favorites and the most feature enhancing.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, I agree that B&N is pretty good about firmware updates. They come out very regularly and usually address problems that people are reporting.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote