Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #61
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
my K2 arrives today, my only issue is should i call in sick to work or just cut out early once the website shows delivery confirmation?

seriously though, i'm real excited to get this, and just hope the extra $70 for the refurb K2 was worth it. i realized that ereaders are taking off in the next 6 months, but the K2 does all i need, so for me, waiting for another ereader that does more would be like waiting for a car with cruise control when i dont need cruise control. as the saying goes: "if you're always waiting 6 months for something to come out...then you're always waiting 6 months for something to come out"
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #62
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
For those who haven't had a Kindle before, I would really like to encourage you to call Kindle support IF you have any problems.

There is a "contact us" button on your kindle support page. You simply click on the "phone" option, sign into your account, enter your phone number, and click "call me now"

I did this last night because in registering the k1, I inadvertently wound up with 3 Kindles,and couldn't figure out how to delete the extra.

The call was immediately returned, the rep took care of the problem from his end, within seconds.

They are more than willing to walk you thru any problems, and usually have outstanding reps.

Of course,............reading the user guide helps a lot also....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #63
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
my K2 arrives today, my only issue is should i call in sick to work or just cut out early once the website shows delivery confirmation?

seriously though, i'm real excited to get this, and just hope the extra $70 for the refurb K2 was worth it. i realized that ereaders are taking off in the next 6 months, but the K2 does all i need, so for me, waiting for another ereader that does more would be like waiting for a car with cruise control when i dont need cruise control. as the saying goes: "if you're always waiting 6 months for something to come out...then you're always waiting 6 months for something to come out"
Always remember this one caveat to that thought, it applies only if there are device which does what you want now and will continue to do so for the lifespan you expect from the device.

I say it because, while these days other tech devices offer trivial "upgrades", ebook reader devices are still far from stable. For sure right now the closest "sure things" are the Kindle, Sony and probably the iRex DR1000S (I just have no experience with the iRex but everyone seems to like theirs). Other than those, I feel waiting just a bit, until sometime between November to January will be a worthwhile move. I offer for example all the issues being discussed with the Astak PocketPro (battery issues as well as peeling paint from their cases.) Definitely a case where waiting makes sense because the device is new w/o any track record.

Still, in general, completely right, if the device you want is there now and you can honestly afford it, heck just buy it!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #64
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
For those who haven't had a Kindle before, I would really like to encourage you to call Kindle support IF you have any problems.

There is a "contact us" button on your kindle support page. You simply click on the "phone" option, sign into your account, enter your phone number, and click "call me now"

I did this last night because in registering the k1, I inadvertently wound up with 3 Kindles,and couldn't figure out how to delete the extra.

The call was immediately returned, the rep took care of the problem from his end, within seconds.

They are more than willing to walk you thru any problems, and usually have outstanding reps.

Of course,............reading the user guide helps a lot also....
But remeber, according to Jobs...nobody reads anymore. So, apparently user guides are just optional.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #65
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Always remember this one caveat to that thought, it applies only if there are device which does what you want now and will continue to do so for the lifespan you expect from the device.

I say it because, while these days other tech devices offer trivial "upgrades", ebook reader devices are still far from stable. For sure right now the closest "sure things" are the Kindle, Sony and probably the iRex DR1000S (I just have no experience with the iRex but everyone seems to like theirs). Other than those, I feel waiting just a bit, until sometime between November to January will be a worthwhile move. I offer for example all the issues being discussed with the Astak PocketPro (battery issues as well as peeling paint from their cases.) Definitely a case where waiting makes sense because the device is new w/o any track record.

Still, in general, completely right, if the device you want is there now and you can honestly afford it, heck just buy it!
good point, agreed. i will openly admit that a first half of me bought it because it does what i want, and waiting forever for the perfect device is elusive, while a second half demands instant gratification, and rationalizes itself with my first half.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #66
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I've been lurking for the better part of two years but now feel compelled to chip in.

I used a Kindle 1 from January 2008 until the display died in July 2009.

I had a Kindle DX for less than a week in June. It did not display all pdf files properly. I returned it more because of the abysmal performance of customer service than the defect in the device itself.

I ordered a refurbished Kindle 1 a few days ago and the result was a nightmare. It was not registered and I could not register it. Apparently, one was registered to me but not the one they sent me. Customer service asked me for the serial number. I told them and they had no record of any such Kindle existing. They promised to fix the registration issue within 48 hours. When I got off the phone with them I found the display was frozen. Nothing would unfreeze it. I tried a paper clip restart several times with no effect. The Kindle is packed up, ready to go back.

My advice to anyone considering buying a refurbished Kindle or any Kindle: Don’t do it!
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #67
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
I finally bought a K2

I finally broke down after lurking for a long time. I bought a refurbished K2. I chose the super saver shipping because I'm in Germany and won't get back to the US until 30 Sep. So, I figured that since the 30 return period starts from the date of deliver, I should buy myself as much time as possible.

Now I'll be going through that bittersweet ritual of checking the status update page ever 5 seconds. lol

So.. YAY FOR ME!
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #68
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Congrats Cobalt8. I think that smiley pretty much covers it!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #69
tommywjf
tommywjf began at the beginning.

Device: None
I still don't understand why the price for Kindle 2 has varied over time. I now got three prices $189, $219, and $250. I grabbed one at $219 though. Any thought about this?
tommywjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #70
tommywjf
tommywjf began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

I agree to the point that ebook reader is not stable yet. To me, an ebook reader should be matched exactly as a real paper, on which you can see colors and even take note by colorful annotations.
tommywjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #71
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywjf View Post
I still don't understand why the price for Kindle 2 has varied over time. I now got three prices $189, $219, and $250. I grabbed one at $219 though. Any thought about this?
If these are refurbished and are sold by entities other than Amazon, they can control the pricing. Or, Amazon may be experimenting to find the price points for the K1 and K2 at which consumers jump to buy. Putting pressure on Sony's pricing policy.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #72
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
I've been lurking for the better part of two years but now feel compelled to chip in.

I used a Kindle 1 from January 2008 until the display died in July 2009.

I had a Kindle DX for less than a week in June. It did not display all pdf files properly. I returned it more because of the abysmal performance of customer service than the defect in the device itself.

I ordered a refurbished Kindle 1 a few days ago and the result was a nightmare. It was not registered and I could not register it. Apparently, one was registered to me but not the one they sent me. Customer service asked me for the serial number. I told them and they had no record of any such Kindle existing. They promised to fix the registration issue within 48 hours. When I got off the phone with them I found the display was frozen. Nothing would unfreeze it. I tried a paper clip restart several times with no effect. The Kindle is packed up, ready to go back.

My advice to anyone considering buying a refurbished Kindle or any Kindle: Don’t do it!

Welcome to MobileRead, Vector. As you note, you've been lurking for about two years, so you probably already know your way around.

I'm sorry for your negative experiences with your Kindles and with Amazon. I personally feel that, while you may not be alone, you are probably in the minority. Nevertheless, you certainly have a right to be upset or perhaps disgruntled with the whole process.

Personally, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with my Kindle 2, and I look forward to continued use and enjoyment of my unit and any future units I may decide to purchase.

Again, this is an official welcome to MobileRead, and I wish you well. Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #73
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
I bought a re-furb K1 for my sister's birthday present back in May - paid $200. Then August 30, I bought another to keep as a back-up for mine - paid $149. Both arrived in perfect condition and work perfectly.

I will continue to use the K1 for as long as I can make the original or the back-up function. I don't need text-to-speech, I don't need color; I don't care about .PDF. My Kindle does exactly what I want.

Now, if they come up with a version that will add a few more reading-only hours in the day. . .
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #74
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
These are really great deals, mine should be arriving early next week. I've basically gotten Kindles for most of my close family now, they love me for it lol.

At this price point they are a pretty good purchase. I wonder if Amazon will see the volume of sales of refurbs at this price point and decide it's worth lowering the normal kindle price to get more sales.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #75
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
These are really great deals, mine should be arriving early next week. I've basically gotten Kindles for most of my close family now, they love me for it lol.

At this price point they are a pretty good purchase. I wonder if Amazon will see the volume of sales of refurbs at this price point and decide it's worth lowering the normal kindle price to get more sales.
Something so very many have been trying to get across for years now...at the right price people will not care about a number of things as much. Even the less than impressive display in the K1. Even then the K1 display is not completely awful for most folks it seems.

If Amazon put the price of the K2 at $149 and the K1 refurbs at $99 they would sell as if there were no other option. Only folks that would not join are those who feel a touch display is important or want more freedom format wise, but Calibre solves a lot of that issue.