Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
sazono
Member Retired
sazono began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
How should i clean the screen?

Hey,
I used my prs 600 for a few days and some fingerprints started to appear on the screen. How should i clean/protect the screen?

sazono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Micro fiber cloth is the best method. I will sometimes wet part of the cloth.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've been using a microfibre cloth on my Sony readers since 2007.
Like Grooks, I slightly dampen the cloth if the screen is particularly smudged.

Some other members prefer a solution made for cleaning eyeglasses, but I'm happy with plain water.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I use Windex, just like I clean my polycarb glasses; a little squirt & wipe down with a cotton cloth - never use a paper product, not even Kleenex. A few years ago I was in the hospital and a nurse was complaining about my dirty glasses & she sook them into the bathroom to wash them off. As she was coming out of the bathroom I noticed she was getting ready to dry them off with a paper towel. She & I went round & round over that.

I'll use a microfiber cloth if I'm out somewhere & don't have any other way of cleaning off the screen.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I use Windex, just like I clean my polycarb glasses; a little squirt & wipe down with a cotton cloth - never use a paper product, not even Kleenex.
You should not use Windex on your reader. The screen is plastic and Windex has ammonia in it, which will eat the plastic. It is ok to use on glasses because they are actually glass.

You should use eyeglass cleaner which is basically easy to make:

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/200...cd-screen.html

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I recommend a strong hydrofluoric acid bath.

****Remember to wear your gloves!*****

But you should probably listen to Patricia and PilotBob. They don't hand out those moderator badges to just anyone!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You should not use Windex on your reader. The screen is plastic and Windex has ammonia in it, which will eat the plastic. It is ok to use on glasses because they are actually glass.

You should use eyeglass cleaner which is basically easy to make:

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/200...cd-screen.html

BOb
Most lenses for glasses are made from plastic now. Makes them a lot lighter. I do clean mine occasionally with windex too. But mine also have an anti-scratch coating.

I thought reader screens are made of glass since they are not flexible and only the new flexi screen is made of plastic.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Go to Lenscrafters, ask for an eyeglass cleaning cloth, and there you go. Anything extra and we're going to be seeing Monster brand ebook reader cleaning sprays.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I thought reader screens are made of glass since they are not flexible and only the new flexi screen is made of plastic.
There is a glass substrate... but the top layer is plastic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Thanks
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Most lenses for glasses are made from plastic now. Makes them a lot lighter. I do clean mine occasionally with windex too. But mine also have an anti-scratch coating.

Yes, my lenses (glasses) are indeed plastic, poly-carbonate, with an anti-scratch coating; if they were made of glass, they'd be "coke-bottle thick". My optician sees nothing wrong with cleaning them with Windex.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Been selling computers for about 18 years...Have always used Windex & paper toweling on the monitor....When they were glass surfaced CRT's and now the 'plastic' surfaced LCD's. No problems ever. Just don't spray on the surface...spray your cloth (no drips to seep under the edge.) Also, been wearing glasses 40+ years. Coke Bottle glass until the advent of the 'plastic'...same thing ...paper towels, kleenex, shirt-tails, etc. No prob.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Micro fiber cloth is the best method. I will sometimes wet part of the cloth.
this is the best method I found.

tee shirt in a pinch.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
sazono
Member Retired
sazono began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
i'm currently using a microfiber cloth
works perfectly with my 600
i'm afraid to use Windex
water is good enough