Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #61
stepanok
Connoisseur
stepanok began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Millions of people read the telephone book as well. If i didnt like , i would have said so. There are many many books i dont like, but i respect that someone else can like it and that the writer made an efford. However, Harry Potter books are plain crap and because of that it took a zillion $$$ to market them and promote them. Thet are a great example of what a shrewd bussiness woman can achive but not what a writer can.
P.S
I like the way she even tells us how we should read her books. No ebooks. Are we alowed to drink, or take a break to go to the toilet ??
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So you're suggesting that all those of us who like them are idiots and you know better, are you?
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #63
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you're suggesting that all those of us who like them are idiots and you know better, are you?
That was my interpretation of his message as well, that's why I did not reply to his comments.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #64
stepanok
Connoisseur

Harry...obviously you can read...but then again.....i have to think this one out......
Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #65
stepanok
Connoisseur

If you feel like idiots its your problem...i wish i could help you....Next time you read something try to read whats there and not what you "want" to be there
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that I don't see any other way to interpret your statements. You are telling us that the Harry Potter books are "crap" and that Ms. Rowling is "not a writer". Clearly, therefore, in your view, anyone who like the books is "wrong" to do so?

If I have misrepresented your opinions, please do feel free to correct me!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #67
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I believe the best thing that can happen now, is for there to be a little more tolerance of peoples' personal views; everyone is entitled to his or her opinion; likes or dislikes.

That deserves the most respect...
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's precisely what I'm saying, Geoff. We should all respect the fact that it is conceivable that a book that we don't personally like can be liked by others without having to be insulting about either the book or its author. To label a phenomenal best-seller like the Harry Potter books as "crap" and to suggest that its success is solely down to marketting is to insult the intelligence of millions of people who did (and still do) enjoy reading the series.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There was no large marketing or publicity for the first book. It really was a word-of-mouth thing.

Paul

PS to your PS. Not while listening to the audio book - it was broadcast on radio 4 (UK) in one continuous slot on Boxing Day, 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanok View Post
Millions of people read the telephone book as well. If i didnt like , i would have said so. There are many many books i dont like, but i respect that someone else can like it and that the writer made an efford. However, Harry Potter books are plain crap and because of that it took a zillion $$$ to market them and promote them. Thet are a great example of what a shrewd bussiness woman can achive but not what a writer can.
P.S
I like the way she even tells us how we should read her books. No ebooks. Are we alowed to drink, or take a break to go to the toilet ??
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #70
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
"Who can read and enjoy this crap ?????"

"However, Harry Potter books are plain crap and because of that it took a zillion $$$ to market them and promote them."

I don't see how anyone can fail to understand Harry's point that stating that "Harry Potter is crap" as a fact rather than as their opinion implies that those who have read and enjoyed them all must be in some way deficient... (Not to mention the awards panels who rated the books so highly).

Had they said "Read one, thought it was dreck, but hey different strokes" it might be different. But no the exact words were "who can read and enjoy this crap".

While stepanok may not have explictly stated "Anyone who liked this crap is an idiot" the subtext is clear.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #71
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
"Who can read and enjoy this crap ?????"

"However, Harry Potter books are plain crap and because of that it took a zillion $$$ to market them and promote them."

I don't see how anyone can fail to understand Harry's point that stating that "Harry Potter is crap" as a fact rather than as their opinion implies that those who have read and enjoyed them all must be in some way deficient... (Not to mention the awards panels who rated the books so highly).

Had they said "Read one, thought it was dreck, but hey different strokes" it might be different. But no the exact words were "who can read and enjoy this crap".

While stepanok may not have explictly stated "Anyone who liked this crap is an idiot" the subtext is clear.

I would say you and Harry are Way over reading into sepanok's comments. So he does not like the books. Why take it so personally?

I don't Like bungee jumping. So.. if YOU like bungee jumping but I think it is crap. Do you think I think you are less of a person?

Sorry, chaps your argument against Sepanok is WEAK.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #72
stepanok
Connoisseur

ok. Anyone who likes this crap is an idiot..Feel better now???...jjjjeeezzzzzzzz

http://www.slate.com/id/2150585/
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I would say you and Harry are Way over reading into sepanok's comments. So he does not like the books. Why take it so personally?
Because he didn't say "I don't like the books"; he said "the books are crap". No disrespect to you, but if you're not a native English-speaker, you may perhaps not appreciate the enormous difference between the meaning of those two statements. The first is expressing a personal preference - nobody would argue with that. The second is stating an absolute fact about the value of them, and that's insulting.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #74
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanok View Post
If you feel like idiots its your problem...i wish i could help you....Next time you read something try to read whats there and not what you "want" to be there

That is akin to saying read "War and Peace", and not whilst wanting to imagine that you are reading "Jane Eyre" instead...

Wow, if I only had a brain like that...
Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #75
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Possibly because they stated thats it's is not just his "opinion" of the books but as a fact. e even goes so-far as to make that point him/herself

"If i didnt like , i would have said so. There are many many books i dont like, but i respect that someone else can like it and that the writer made an efford. However, Harry Potter books are plain crap"

Quote:
I don't Like bungee jumping. So.. if YOU like bungee jumping but I think it is crap. Do you think I think you are less of a person?
No because you have stated that you think it's crap. It's implict therefore that this is your opinion vs you stating that its a fact that no-one can deny.

Do you see the difference there?

Last edited by Riocaz; 08-20-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread