Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by suineg View Post
Two interesting things to notice.

The pdf and website say nothing about the working condition of the PRS-500. I wouldn't suggest sending in a broken screen PRS-500 but if you are buying a 505 anyways to replace one with a screen that is messed up they might take it since they are going to refurb them anyways.

Two is that the James Patterson model is not eligible even though it is currently the same price.
I would be very interested in whether they will honor this agreement without regard to condition as well. My, still working, 500 was damaged when it blew off the hood of my car so would probably not sell on ebay. (Old forgetful mind - must learn new habits and never set reader on hood of car again).

Actually mine might be of historical value due to the accident and that it is still working. Sony are you listening?

This could be really great news for those broken screens, particularly when it was not the fault of the owner, if they were eligible for this upgrade.

Last edited by slayda; 08-07-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
This is an excellent move by Sony.
I am not in USA so I can not benefit *directly* from their generous offer, but it is really a win, win, win move.
Very good Public Relations stunt.

1. They show that they do care about early adopters, about e-book readers and e-books in general
2. They will not get that many trade-in units, because PRS-500 can be sold on ebay for more than $100. Still, $100 is a VERY good offer IMHO.
3. They can sell refurbished PRS-500 that were traded-in, and I believe those units would sell like hot cakes for $149
4. They have silenced people that were clamouring about less-than-optimal display of A4 formated pdf files, lack of other DRMed formats, ...
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I note that this offer presumably also applies to the limited edition red 505, for the interested.
Nate, why would the offer apply to any 505? Aren't all 505s upgradable using the firmware fix? Was there something different about the red 505?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes - it's red .
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
He means that he thinks you can trade a 500 for a LE red 505. I don't know if that will be the case, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Nate, why would the offer apply to any 505? Aren't all 505s upgradable using the firmware fix? Was there something different about the red 505?
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
CO'Neil
Enthusiast
CO'Neil doesn't litterCO'Neil doesn't litter

Device: PRS500
500 Trade-in?

In the real world, news of the Sony 500 trade-in offer does settle the upgrade question, at least.

Now it's no longer a matter of choice whether to "wait" or not. I'll definitely keep the 500 out of pure love for it as an all-time favorite toy, but also "have to" buy the 505 to experience the new features.

Looking forward to the increased contrast and all, but hope I don't find the rearranged buttons a minus. Also, didn't someone mention that the 505 doesn't fit in a 500 cradle? Is it dimensionally different (fatter, wider?), or is the power plug just moved?

Last edited by CO'Neil; 08-07-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Very nice. I'll be upgrading my 500 soon. Whether it's good PR or not, I think this also a decent offer. I have little interest in fooling with ebay or other means to unload my 13-month old 500 to get a few dollars more. And would Apple (Dell, etc.) offer $100 credit for owners of last year's models of ipods (laptops, etc.) to buy the current model? My uninformed guess is this is a rather uncommon offer. Thank you, Sony!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #23
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
He means that he thinks you can trade a 500 for a LE red 505. I don't know if that will be the case, though.
If you read the PDF it lists exactly which models of the 505 it allows you to work with and every one of them is listed except the James Patterson one.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Terms and Conditions C&P from the Sony site.

Quote:
Sony Reader PRS-500 Trade Up Promotion Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to your participation in the PRS-500 Trade Up Program. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, you may not participate. If you have any questions please contact Sony Style Customer Care at (877) 865-7669 or via email at sonystyle@custhelp.com.

Program Overview
For SonyStyle retail purchases:
Between August 1, 2008 and January 31, 2009, trade in your Sony Reader PRS-500 when you purchase a new Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-505/LC, PRS-505RC or PRS-505/SC at a Sony Style retail store and receive $100 off the purchase price at point of sale. See below for details.

For SonyStyle Online and Telesales purchases:
Receive a $100 credit when you purchase a new Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-505/LC, PRS-505RC or PRS-505/SC from Sony Style (online or telesales only) between August 1, 2008 and January 31, 2009 and you trade in your Sony Reader PRS-500 before February 28, 2009. See below for details.

To be eligible to receive the $100 credit under this Program, all of the following requirements must be satisfied:

Eligibility
This Program is open to end-user customers only.

Purchase Requirements
An eligible PRS-505 model must be purchased between August 1, 2008 and January 31, 2009. Purchase invoices dated prior to or after this timeframe will not be eligible for this Program. This Program is available for purchases of new PRS-505, PRS-505/LC, PRS-505RC or PRS-505/SC models at full price from Sony Style (online, telesales or retail) only. Outlet purchases, and any discounted purchases, such as through employee purchase plans, are expressly excluded from this Program. This Program applies only to purchases and residents in the United States and does not apply to purchases of refurbished product or reseller demo units.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is perhaps work noting that PRS-500's generally sell for around $200 on eBay. You'll do a lot better selling your PRS-500 privately than accepting this trade-in offer.
I wonder what I could sell a new in the box 505 for? What does the 505 go for at the Sony store?

BOb
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #26
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I wonder what I could sell a new in the box 505 for? What does the 505 go for at the Sony store?

BOb
The 505 is going for $300. I'm going to trade in my 500 for a 505. Even if I can make/save more on eBay I don't want to go through the time and hassle.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
Hmm just checked ebay. For a used PRS-500 the bid + shipping prices are:

6 Bids

$104.00 +$9.99

11 Bids

$152.50 +$12.40

3 Bids

$73.51 +$9.99

9 Bids

$135.04 +$15.00

3 Bids

$79.00 +$10.00

5 Bids

$131.50 +$7.00

3 Bids

$135.00 +$12.00

9 Bids

$73.00 +$9.99

Seems alot easier to just trade in for 100.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Im sure the hassle will be the same if you use the Sony website to do this.

Do you have to have the 500 boxed with all the cords and stuff it came with I wonder.

Either way, not that happy about it. I dont like the way the 505 looks or the button orientation on it. If I wanted a 505 I would have bought one already.

Thanks for nothing Sony.

(And you guys all know that they will be reselling these "generous" trade ins for double what theyre giving you as "refurbished" right? Its win win for them, its barely a tie for us.)
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesagwa View Post
Thanks for nothing Sony.

(And you guys all know that they will be reselling these "generous" trade ins for double what theyre giving you as "refurbished" right? Its win win for them, its barely a tie for us.)
Pfft... whatever.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I wonder if this offer would be good for the rumored new model Reader if its released before the offer expires.
Closed Thread

Tags
duck!